Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alboroto

Fear Factor

I was talking to a friend about horror movies and the best scenes we've ever seen.
Then, last night, I was triying to make some of the best horror and suspense scenes fit inside doom 3.
I want to see what you people around would add to the game.
My suggestion is that in one of the scripted sequences, the carachter opens a door, and a river of blood comes from the other side... (The shinning, you get the picture)

The most horrifying moment in any movie was from The Shining too. When the child is running about in the hotel later in the movie he sees two men in a bedroom. One is dressed in a bear suit and the other is sitting on the bed. The man in the bear suit was giving the man on the bed a blow job.

Blood curdling, I tell ya.

Vulg@r said:

The most horrifying moment in any movie was from The Shining too. When the child is running about in the hotel later in the movie he sees too men in a bedroom. One is dressed in a bear suit and the other is sitting on the bed. The man in the bear suit was giving the man on the bed a blow job.

I only saw the shining on TV... Apparently they edited this scene out....

Lengis said:

I only saw the shining on TV... Apparently they edited this scene out....

Yeah, it's on the full-length video if you wish to catch that easter egg.

Vulg@r said:

The most horrifying moment in any movie was from The Shining too. When the child is running about in the hotel later in the movie he sees too men in a bedroom. One is dressed in a bear suit and the other is sitting on the bed. The man in the bear suit was giving the man on the bed a blow job.

Eeeeewwww.

Coming from a Silent Hill fan I just hope Doom 3 has the same scare factor as the first Silent Hill. Also if it is true that Reznor is off the Doom project ID should seriously grab Akira Yamaoka to do the Soundtrack. Trent is good with producing freaky scary music, but Akira
just blows Trent away when it comes to dishing out scary tracks. Akira Yamaoka produces some of the best ambient tracks ive ever heard.

I agree, ya'll ever hear that phrase "Sometimes what you hear is worse than what you see." The sounds in Doom 3 will be very important in making it scary.
Hopefully they learned something from D64 cause the audio in that was scary as fuck. Not so much the music, but some of the sounds in the background, the thunder with the moans and crying, and shit like that. You can't beat it with a 10-meter cattleprod

*cough*...Fatal Frame...*cough*

Now THAT'S a game that effectively employed audio for the fear factor. I hope the developers of Doom III take lessons from that game.

Brookhaven M.D. said:

Yeah! I almost forgot about Fatal Frame that game's ambience is also cool.

At least SOMEONE knows about that game. :)

Heh, I agree Doom64 had some pretty scary ambience. It had a level, which, if I'm not greatly mistaken, had a level called Odyssey of Noises which had all sorts of weird and scary sounds playing in the background. Very cool.

I think the three scariest moments in the shining were:

1) The kid going around the hotel on his little bike and the contrast of sound between the hard-wood floor and the carpet. Then he turns a corner and the two freaky twin little girls are standing there.
Blood0curdling.

2) When the elevator doors open and the blood pours out.

3) When Jack goes into room 243 (or whatever) and sees the nice girl in the bath. Goes over to her and she is that sick old lady drowned in the bath underwater, and dead,AND THEN SHE SITS UP.

Doom should have scare tactics like that. You enter and empty room look around (feeling safe) then turn around and some evil spirit thing is standing there looking at you (or standing in the corner, face to the wall etc. muttering inaudible words in latin or something........

Vulg@r said:

The most horrifying moment in any movie was from The Shining too. When the child is running about in the hotel later in the movie he sees two men in a bedroom. One is dressed in a bear suit and the other is sitting on the bed. The man in the bear suit was giving the man on the bed a blow job.

I found the shining to be funny to be perfectly honest. I don't mean that in a sadistic way, i just found it quite silly. That kid pulls a funny face when he screams.

What would probably scare me would be the new lost soul (i think it's the floating cyborg head) dashing out of the shadows suddenly.

BlueSonnet said:

What would probably scare me would be the new lost soul (i think it's the floating cyborg head) dashing out of the shadows suddenly.

Hell yeah, turning around to suddenly see one of these bitches whiz out of the shadows and straight at you at breakneck speed while making some horribly distorted screech would freeze the blood in your ores.

Alboroto said:

I was talking to a friend about horror movies and the best scenes we've ever seen.
Then, last night, I was triying to make some of the best horror and suspense scenes fit inside doom 3.
I want to see what you people around would add to the game.
My suggestion is that in one of the scripted sequences, the carachter opens a door, and a river of blood comes from the other side... (The shinning, you get the picture)

I think ID will have (most of) what I want from movie horror. Some of my most loved horror movies go along with the likes of "Alien" or most of George Romero's work :) That seems to be the route ID will cover.

The thing I'm not even asking for is the physiological mind screw horror like you get from "Angle Heart". For the most part that sort of thing is all story based, no I don’t thing there will be a trigger labeled "mind f*ck" for us to drop in our levels. But I can dream...

I ramble on don't I :) and now images of "Hellraiser" start popping in my head...the house breaking apart and bleeding...halls changing...and Cenobites roaming...screams...mmmMMMmmmm how I love horror...

THE BOX! I want to be able to create something like the puzzle box from "Hellraiser" in D3! Its a tall order but that would be cool...

Lochnar