Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

id Software is re-organizing the Galactic Doompublic into the first ever Galactic Doompire

25 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

I'm also a little confused with the wording in the delisted titles section of the news post, particularly with the highlighted words:

"DOOM 3: BFG Edition (This will install with DOOM 3. Players that own DOOM 3: BFG will be upgraded to DOOM 3.)"

I'm gathering that it just means they've both been lumped together as Doom 3 on the store page and both show up in the Steam library after purchase along with RoE. And if you already own one then the rest will show up? It's just worded a little strange. Also this is neither here nor there but the original Doom 3 suddenly prompted me to agree to an EULA which after owning it for over a decade and already putting in over a hundred hours just with the Steam launcher is a little weird but I suppose it's normal.

Now that you point it out, the fact they use the terms "upgraded"  and "install with" referencing Doom 3 doesn't make sense with what they really mean. Since they're changing it to a consolidated package containing Doom 3, RoE, and BFG Edition, you get "upgraded" to the full package if you own Doom 3 or BFG Edition. I had Doom 3 and RoE, so I got BFG Edition for free, therefore upgrading me to the full consolidated package they have now. And I have no real clue why the EULA is a thing for Doom 3 now, but I had to agree to it too before I could open the little installation menu Steam has.

43 minutes ago, PKr said:

Are you saying this because Unity port is "official" or because you actually like it? 

I'm saying because I believe that the Unity port is the best version of Doom ever released by id Software on an objective scale.

I also think it was the second best version of Doom ever released relative to the environment it was released in.  DOS Doom will forever be #1 on that list for being an amazing DOS game in 1993, but it bitrotted quite poorly, and I cannot imagine trying to convince somehow how great Doom is with DOOM2.EXE in DOSBox in TYOOL 2022 - assuming their gaming platform of choice can even run DOSBox.

I personally will always prefer playing source ports because I'm already a superfan, but if I want to show the game off to someone, I'm using the Unity port on Switch.

3 minutes ago, AlexMax said:

I'm saying because I believe that the Unity port is the best version of Doom ever released by id Software on an objective scale.

I also think it was the second best version of Doom ever released relative to the environment it was released in.  DOS Doom will forever be #1 on that list for being an amazing DOS game in 1993, but it bitrotted quite poorly, and I cannot imagine trying to convince somehow how great Doom is with DOOM2.EXE in DOSBox in TYOOL 2022 - assuming their gaming platform of choice can even run DOSBox.

Challenge accepted... Need to install OBS first though. Give me some time.

36 minutes ago, PKr said:

Challenge accepted... Need to install OBS first though. Give me some time.

"Okay, I'm convinced, how do I play it?"

"Well, first you download DOOM2.WAD, then you download a source port..."

"I only have an iPhone and a PS4."

"..."

I mean, you can try, but I prefer showing friends by playing some good old-fashioned split-screen on Switch.

Edited by AlexMax

I went to check out the Unity port of Doom 2 for the first time in a long time, and I lol'd at the 4:3 option:

Spoiler

l9aTj4ql.png

That being said, this whole ordeal feels like Christmas even though I technically didn't receive anything that I don't already own in one form or another, but seeing all the Doom games line up alphabetically in one place is enough for me. Based on the general confusion that some users are having, I can only imagine the amount of headaches involved with id and/or Bethesda trying to organize it all.

I fucking lol’d at that “4:3” option!

On 8/12/2022 at 3:33 AM, PKr said:

Imo it was a nice opportunity to update Dosbox version, change default settings to better ones, and add a setup.exe to game files (for those who don't know, yeah, setup.exe is not included in steam version). Maybe even add an anthology version of final doom as a beta branch or something. Wonder why they haven't bothered doing that yet. 🤔

That sucks ass. Adding setup.exe has been necessary for years now and it still isn’t done?

4 hours ago, magicsofa said:

I was just knee-jerking to the "hope they don't delist anything" side of the conversation. The idea that a digital product could ever be "delisted" in any meaningful way is evidence of the Industry working shadow magic to inflate that margin. Doom 1, 2, and 3 should all be freeware at this point - as you said the money is going to Microsoft, which is objectively amoral in my opinion.

I find it hard to be upset about any of these changes when piracy has been and likely always will be the only “semi reliable” way to truly preserve games (not just Doom). If something about, oh say, a Doom 3 rerelease sucks, it’s really not much effort to just nab a free copy from somewhere. I find it kind of perplexing that people have any moral quandaries whatsoever about pirating ancient products that the devs don’t even make money off of anymore. 

1 hour ago, PKr said:

Are you saying this because Unity port is "official" or because you actually like it?

I don't really want to call anyone's work on Doom source ports a waste, but damn Unity port is bad... I'd actually go as far as calling it a much worse "official" way to play Doom than running the game in a Dosbox (not that running Doom in a Dosbox is bad by any means, but you get the idea). And I am not talking about the lacking features of the Unity port like the inability to switch statusbar, or some quirks with controls and stuff. Doom unity is simply broken - it has some extreme interpolation issues, which make the game choppy. I can't even understand how anyone can play it in a such state.

That’s really strange, it plays smoothly on my end.. It really does feel like a decent port, not “top of the line” like DSDA-Doom, but certainly playable. Maybe some graphics cards don’t like it for whatever reason? I have a pretty generic GPU and it plays just fine on there, but admittedly I’ve only tried it on 2 machines.

Just saw this for the first time tonight - I'm wondering if this reshuffle is in preparation for something happening next Thursday.

Spoiler

2019: 25th anniversary of Doom II - remasters of Doom, Doom II and Doom 3 shadowdropped across all platforms

2021: 25th anniversary of Quake - remaster with all mission packs shadowdropped across all platforms

2022: 25th anniversary of Quake II - ???

Just a thought, probably nothing.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

That’s really strange, it plays smoothly on my end.. It really does feel like a decent port, not “top of the line” like DSDA-Doom, but certainly playable. Maybe some graphics cards don’t like it for whatever reason? I have a pretty generic GPU and it plays just fine on there, but admittedly I’ve only tried it on 2 machines.

Here is how it looks on my end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxSD0nCi0_w

Be warned that I make a lot of exaggerated camera moves to show the issue more clearly, and combined with the actual performance of the Doom Unity it looks really damn painful. So keep your stomach tight.

...I mean Dosbox is leagues ahead of Doom Unity at least on my PC. As well as any other source port really. So I am not joking when I say I think Doom Unity is the worst way to play Doom on PC.

Edited by PKr

I am crawling out of the Doom 3 side of the forum for the first time in months to tell you that you should play the first 2 games in the BFG Edition since you get the original crispiness, aspect ratio but with upgraded controls and mouselook instead of Dosbox even if you are a purist. Configuring GZDoom is a pain.

Also isn't it weird that you get half the Doom games now for free if you bought Doom 3 some time ago? Like you get the wad files for both games PLUS No rest for the living making it more complete than buying the 2 games separately. That means that for 10 dollars (2 if you use the Argentina trick) you get Doom 3 with all expansions, the original game with ROE, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2+NRFTL AND a good source port? Classic bundle is a scam.

And since Doom 3 keys are wayyy cheaper you can get the entire collection for less than 10 cents. Bethesda is now officially a charity. Thanks Todd.

Very surprised that people are trying to argue that the old Steam releases were anything other than half-arsed. Source ports are great, but ideally it should never, ever be an outright necessity for you to copy some random stranger's custom EXEs into your install folder for basic functionality.

Alas, we do not live in a perfect world (the sheer amount of crap I've had to pull to get a chunk of my GOG library to even consider the idea of windowed mode...) so it's nice to see a publisher actually do a little work to correct the sins of the past.

8 hours ago, act said:

I'd say that using a source port (I'll stick to having "source port" be two words from now on) is the more official way of playing Doom than the actual official ways to play Doom. "Official" is not a simple seal that's given to something that's paid for.

A though experiment then: imagine it's 2023 and ID/Beth/whoever runs the show by then releases a major update for the original game with an official 5th episode set in Heaven with new levels, monsters, music and weapons and more pictures of Daisy, e.g. on the switches or animated ceiling flats. And they even get  Romero, Petersen and Skillsaw on a contract for this. Now, how would that be published? 

I doubt devs will boot into the NeXT machines to produce a DOSBox-compatible 1.9.1 version (or whatever that should be). Nor would I expect a new anniversary KEX-based port to surface, Unity being stable already and running on many platforms including mobiles. Also ID will never give IWADs for free to anyone who doesn't own the game, which rules out stand-alone WAD distribution.

For me at least that suggests Unity port as the distribution method and if that line of thinking is followed it's clear how  "official" seal belongs to it.

9 hours ago, PKr said:

Doom unity is simply broken - it has some extreme interpolation issues, which make the game choppy. I can't even understand how anyone can play it in a such state.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom Classic Unity port

Renderer framerate increased to 60 Hz (It was later updated for 120Hz and above with options to cap it at 30, 60 and 120 frames a second), with an interpolation system written by Alex Mayfield (AlexMax).

I guess you're complaining to the right person? :p

8 hours ago, AlexMax said:

The one major drawback is the inability to load more than one addon at a time. So you can't load something like the spritefix pack and a custom mapset, or a DEHACKED gameplay mod and a custom mapset, etc.

6 hours ago, Gez said:

I didn't want to snitch on myself, but yeah.  For what it's worth I used the same approach for Unity Doom that I did when I wrote the initial uncapped implementation that was used Crispy Doom, which was copied for many many other ports.  The Unity code I wrote was from scratch and used no Crispy code, but I just reused the same idea.

6 hours ago, Gez said:

The one major drawback is the inability to load more than one addon at a time. So you can't load something like the spritefix pack and a custom mapset, or a DEHACKED gameplay mod and a custom mapset, etc. 

Sure.  On PC specifically, I imagine the official port, while better than DOSBox, is still eventually going to get replaced with a real sourceport if the player is at all interested in Doom...unless they really like split-screen.

But for someone just wants to try the game out for the first time or doesn't even have a PC, it's far and away the best official port for Doom that ever existed.  Not having to explain away "Yeah, the music is kind of jank, the framerate is bad, it's only 4:3, the best maps are third-party, but trust me there's a cool game in here"  is just....a relief.

10 hours ago, Gez said:

What a fortunate coincidence.

@AlexMax any ideas on how to fix/reduce the problem shown in the video in my previous post?

Ha, i now have Ressurection of Evil, being in Germany the Game wasn't listed for me.

Got my Disc back then from the UK, so i can now lazy load it instead.

3 hours ago, PKr said:

@AlexMax any ideas on how to fix/reduce the problem shown in the video in my previous post?

Unfortunately not off the top of my head.  I suspect there's some Unity timing bullshit going on, given that the issue wasn't called out on consoles or on other people's PC's.

In other words, "Yeah, to avoid the menu glitch you need to play the very official port offline and the unity engine timing is kind of bs and feels worse than 35 fps in dosbox and you can't do anything about it, and whatever basic functionality is absent from the unity port - just get a source port or whatever, but trust me there is a cool, official game in here somewhere", eh?

I don't know I just... Don't share your enthusiasm over the Unity port at all. 😅

1 hour ago, PKr said:

unity engine timing is kind of bs and feels worse than 35 fps in dosbox and you can't do anything about it

This is 100% specific to your PC. You can't blame the port for your own problems.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2320/view/3403052023824919086

How do you feel about this? I don't personally benefit a ton, because I already had bought final doom, master levels, quake 1 & 2 expansions, etc. separately before, although I think they had previously released the expansions for free at some point. I do however get Doom 3 BFG edition for free (but I prefer original Doom 3 modded anyway), and vice versa if you previously owned BFG edition you now get the original Doom 3 and its expansion for free.

The only thing that bugs me is renaming Ultimate Doom to Doom (1993). I suppose it's more intuitive for newcomers, but c'mon how hard is it for a newcomer to search online "doom games release order" and instantly learn what everyone else knows? Ultimate Doom is an actual name and it's non-ambiguous which one it is. Now they're making it like Doom 2016 (which ironically is still just called "Doom" officially). Not a big deal though, just a minor peeve. Certainly though it's generous of them to combine the games into single releases, especially when they were already so cheap and affordable before.

Spoiler

So this is how the Icon dies...with thunderous rockets.

47 minutes ago, QuaketallicA said:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2320/view/3403052023824919086

How do you feel about this? I don't personally benefit a ton, because I already had bought final doom, master levels, quake 1 & 2 expansions, etc. separately before, although I think they had previously released the expansions for free at some point. I do however get Doom 3 BFG edition for free (but I prefer original Doom 3 modded anyway), and vice versa if you previously owned BFG edition you now get the original Doom 3 and its expansion for free.

The only thing that bugs me is renaming Ultimate Doom to Doom (1993). I suppose it's more intuitive for newcomers, but c'mon how hard is it for a newcomer to search online "doom games release order" and instantly learn what everyone else knows? Ultimate Doom is an actual name and it's non-ambiguous which one it is. Now they're making it like Doom 2016 (which ironically is still just called "Doom" officially). Not a big deal though, just a minor peeve. Certainly though it's generous of them to combine the games into single releases, especially when they were already so cheap and affordable before.

Reveal hidden contents

So this is how the Icon dies...with thunderous rockets.

I suppose your post could be merged, because there is a topic for this:

13 hours ago, Edward850 said:

This is 100% specific to your PC. You can't blame the port for your own problems.

I kind of doubt it's not a system agnostic problem, as I see people describing the same issue from time to time on Steam forums and elsewhere since the release of the Unity port. For example this guy here is clearly describing the same thing that I experience: https://steamcommunity.com/app/2300/discussions/0/2951536988400007647/?ctp=2#c4950020834816605535 Or there is this thread from two days ago: https://steamcommunity.com/app/2300/discussions/0/5267542371382645718/ Not much info, but doubt this person is talking about something else.

I have seen mentions of that problem on various forums when I tried to search for the solution when the re-release first came out and I was interested in trying the Doom Unity out. I guess it's just that not many people have bothered reporting this issue.

That said I am not blaming the port for my own problems. It really can be some edge case issue that's happening to like only 5 people out there despite what I might think. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I ridicule it for a completely different reason.

Whenever I have a Doom related question, whenever I have some technical problem and ask others for help, there are always options and workarounds available. I can always rely on source port authors, contributors and fans to get help and answers no matter how technical and specific or stupid and vague the questions I ask are. And if nobody really understands what kind of problem I am experiencing, I can always try to fix it on my own. For example initially I have registered on Doomworld forums to ask for help with the mouse interpolation issue I had at that time. When nobody understood the problem I tried to find the source of an issue on my own, and then the smarter guys came to the rescue and the issue was no more.

And then there is a Unity port which is supposed to be a plug-n-play option, yet if I have a technical problem with it, then well, it sucks to be me... Because something being plug-n-play and official doesn't mean "I don't have to tinker with options to make it playable"; it means that all of a sudden "I don't have options to make it playable" - like no one to ask for help from, no way to try and fix it on my own. :(

Spoiler

cloud.jpg.c6ceef14eb6bc495a0fc77013bfbc512.jpg

Edited by PKr

Doctor Emmet Brown taught us that it is dangerous to play around with the past.(*)

Honestly speaking, I don't care about steam at all.

(*)By the way, the same applies to the future

On 8/12/2022 at 5:26 PM, Doomkid said:

It also plays smooth for me, although I did have to set the resolution to 640x400 cuz my laptop doesn't like high resolutions. And because I'm s Linux user and Proton doesn't work for me, I have to run it with Wine. But yeah, once it's properly set up, it runs nice.

Ignore the spoiler pls

Spoiler

Oops, tapped spoiler button by accident, ignore it :-)

On 8/10/2022 at 8:05 PM, Nevander said:

As long as they don't delist anything I couldn't care less. And besides, what do you mean you don't own all of the id Software titles??

Oh the Horror! :o)

On 8/12/2022 at 6:26 PM, Doomkid said:

I fucking lol’d at that “4:3” option!

-To be fair, if you run the Unity port on an actual 4:3 CRT and set the game to a 16:9 resolution that has the same vertical pixels as your physical monitor and then set it to 4:3, it does display correctly, but then make any modification to res or other visual settings and it reverts back.  So basically you have to set everything as you like it, then set your res.