Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Disintegration Muffin (Boom map)

Played it, chose the berserk route (uh, loadout? whatever)

Really like the combination of open space and sparse enemies, reminds me of Northern Powerhouse, though a lot easier for sure.

If I want to complain, then there's too much ammo for me to have a good excuse to use those fancy toys. :)

Spoiler

And yes I looked it up in the editor to check what exactly the shootable switch does.

Spoiler

The radios? I thought they have something to do with secrets. Turned off the music and the song kinda kicks ass until it gets weird. ;)

23 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Dis good, muff said 

dismuf_fdabygal.zip (HMP, prb+, cl9, opengl, 100% everything, no deaths, mancuboobs touching)

Sorry if I missed the intention behind a couple stuff, though as always hope it's a fun watch nonetheless!

Thanks! I love your reactions to things. Seems like the radio kept tormenting you. No real intentions -- it's more like a sandbox/playground for people to come up with stuff.

Disintegration Muffin

At first I was very confused with this Wad, I really wasn't sure what to do, and apparently, there were only 2 options, which was to use the shotguns, or use the berserk with the soulsphere to advance through the area, and well, apparently I ended up using both options, one less effective than the other, which is why the shotgun route was the worst in my opinion, more however, I liked the berserk route more, because in truth it has It's been more effective to fight bare-knuckle than to spend ammo for pleasure, so in short... The Wad is challenging in certain aspects, if one doesn't find the secrets, things are definitely more complicated than they seem, so damn Revenant what's here... the Mancubus are the least of a problem, but the same can't be said for those skeletons. Anyway, everything was fine in the end, I didn't die on either route, and apparently I'm good at saving my ammo but I couldn't say the same for Medikits and Stimpacks.

The texturing is very basic, but the map is pretty neat!

Nice job.

19 hours ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

The texturing is very basic, but

I wanted to do something simpler/classic, in direct opposition of the more modern stuff I've been studying lately, so that was actually the idea. :P

Anyway thank you. 

1 hour ago, baja blast rd. said:

I wanted to do something simpler/classic, in direct opposition of the more modern stuff I've been studying lately, so that was actually the idea. :P

Anyway thank you. 

Np!

That's not a diss, I dig the look. 

Got it on second attempt :) couldn't find the last secret, and I was unable to get 100% kills due to my own mismanagement of radsuits and crusher potential. Had a lot of fun with it! I like being starved for resources like this, the small number of enemies feels very threatening when lining up a shot is worth eating a projectile.

tl_dismuf.rar

Really cute to poke and watch it output fun. I just ran around and found as many RLs as I can, got a jumpscare, and BK exited (I checked in with the demolition crew) because I'm a bit tired right now, but this is a really wholesome environment. Of all the levels that use yakfak's midis (which I think aren't enough), I think this one taps into the element I liked the most from yak, which is an intricate, meticulous construction that yields as much as you want to wring from it. Doesn't matter if the gameplay is abrasive and harsh (which is the case for zzzv), or inviting and empowering, as with this pastry.

Was in the mood to do some dev commentary; trying to do it more often.

So with Disintegration Muffin, I wanted to do kind of an oldschool quirky map with sparse easy combat, and I got the idea to have this comedically intricate computer that does a zillion things (I didn't even use one of the options in this playthrough). The rest of the map gradually accrued around that, including more ideas for machinery. Yes, one of the computer options does nothing but chucking a lone revenant out of the air at you. There is a secret RK sidequest that I also don't go to in this video -- gotta preserve some mystery. I also got the idea for a carpet that you can use, which is one of my favorite effects here.

gikU1Hf.gif

Aesthetically I was going for some mix of Darkwave and TNT ("Heck") and one yakfak map and this moon map called "Dark Star" which uses hellrock this way. 

And yes, that is a radio playing a shitty Pearl Jam MIDI ambiently in the lobby.

The map overlay looks like this, with half the linedef count (and eight sectors...) going towards one effect. I get the sense that people would assume that took ages to wire up, but thanks to a scripting-like process for that, it took more like 30 minutes (and even that was because I originally messed something up and had to figure out exactly how to do it). 

yErULZk.png 

The "technical" stuff in the map took under 20% of the total devtime. Because even a relatively modestly detailed room can take a while to draw especially since some of that is playing with images in my mind and thinking about what I want, where once you're familiar with triggers and stuff, you can wire up a sophisticated-looking effect pretty quickly.

The name is from a text AI that generated BTSX-like map names. It felt right with the compact layout of the main space ("muffin") and the emphasis on explosions and that part where the TNT blows up the ground ("disintegration"). Also just realized that the "Boom map" in the title is an unintentional bad pun. 

The combat on UV is meant for you to play more evasively and infight-heavy and use the not-weapon-weapons to take out many of the monsters, so the shotguns loadout will probably not be sufficient to just kill everything you see. HNTR and HMP allow that though. The map is also tysonable on UV if you can punch mancubi.