Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dac

[Up on idgames!] Thirty Monsters Challenge - Sixty-four maps from the community, for any MBF21 source port.

Congrats on the release!  I had a blast playing this a while back and there's a lot of cool stuff packed into these 64 maps.

Alright, using version 4.7.1. works fine. Ended up skipping MAP06 cause I found the puzzles aggravating but I surprisingly went through the other puzzle map MAP13 well (loved the arch-vile mechanic of secretly resurrecting enemies who are killed in the field). I should mention I found some HOMs on MAP23, where the bars which are sector 156-159 are there are HOMs on the ceiling. Linedefs 845-862 approximately.

Am I missing something, or is map 57 broken? The blue key door is inside the starting area, but it doesn't look like you can go back there. The front door can't be opened from the outside. There's a second path that looks like it's intended to be used after getting the blue key, but it's blocked by a barrier, and the linedef that lowers it is behind the blue key door. I checked in doombuilder and I don't see any solution.

13 minutes ago, SCF said:

Am I missing something, or is map 57 broken? The blue key door is inside the starting area, but it doesn't look like you can go back there. The front door can't be opened from the outside. There's a second path that looks like it's intended to be used after getting the blue key, but it's blocked by a barrier, and the linedef that lowers it is behind the blue key door. I checked in doombuilder and I don't see any solution.

If I remember that map correctly, the barrier is lowered by killing the spiderdemon. I agree it's not particularly clear.

26 minutes ago, dac said:

If I remember that map correctly, the barrier is lowered by killing the spiderdemon. I agree it's not particularly clear.

Ah, I didn't think about the fancy triggers you can set in UMAPINFO. Something weird must've happened, because the first time I played it the spider demon never teleported in (and neither did any of the other enemies in the connected closets). They must not have woken up, but I have no idea how that happened considering you have to shoot a switch in the starting room. It worked when I tried the map again.

Congrats to everyone involved! (∩^o^)⊃━☆

This was my first community project of any kind that I participated here, so it's really cool to see it completed and on idGames.

Also I did promise an announcement, and I think many here know what it's about (I mean I wasn't exactly subtle about it on twitter and discord!) but just to keep the suspense going but also not:

30mc2

Departing next week.

7 hours ago, dac said:

Also I did promise an announcement, and I think many here know what it's about (I mean I wasn't exactly subtle about it on twitter and discord!) but just to keep the suspense going but also not:

30mc2

Departing next week.

I can't count past ten but that seems like one or two more baddies than last time.

9 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

I can't count past ten but that seems like one or two more baddies than last time.

You baited me into recounting and it's exactly 30 xd

8 hours ago, dac said:

Departing next week.

Hmmm... 30 Aliens Challenge community project?

Been looking for shorter, faster bite-size mapsets to play through, and this is the best one I've played yet! I appreciate the maps being ordered into episodes by difficulty (with the nod to the original Lemmings, very good) and I especially LOVE MAP06 and MAP09's different approach to mapping, focusing on puzzles and atmosphere respectively interspersed with combat encounters to keep the player engaged.

This mapset has a huge amount of variety on offer, it's like a big box of bite-size chocolates to brighten my day. Great work to all the mappers!

EDIT: Whoa. I was not prepared for MAP13. Without wanting to say too much, I haven't experienced such effective storytelling, mystery, visuals and eerie atmosphere since I played B.P.R.D's Grove last year.

Edited by Baratus : expanding on initial thoughts