Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

"Chaingun In My Hands" VS "B7"

So I was listening to the track "B7" from Sonic Mayhem's "Methods of Destruction":

I was immediately reminded of Mark Knight's "Chaingun In My Hands":

Why do they sound so much alike? Is that one big coincidence or did one of the composers plagiarize the other?

Surely, I cannot be the first one to notice this, yet so far, I cannot find anyone discussing the similarities between the two tracks.

Pretty sure that guitar riff is from some sort of sound library, that is why.

That's literally "You pay a price and you can use this piece of audio in your own work."

Come to think of it, Methods of Destruction was never commercially released, so maybe that is also why nobody made a fuss about it.

Still, at the time, I got so confused I had to pause it and check if I was still listening to the right soundtrack.

I concur with Dark Pulse. It sounds essentially identical, which lends credence to the idea it's a sample.

20 minutes ago, anon said:

doubt it's a sample because duke is midi.

Duke Nukem 3D does. Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown is the PS1 port and it most definitely doesn't use Midi. Watch this gameplay footage on YouTube. An entirely different soundtrack though it does use a lot of the original for inspiration.

Edited by Murdoch

I'm no musician, but the guitar riff sounds exactly the same in both track to my ears. I think Dark Pulse's theory of it being a sample that both Sonic Mayhem and Mark Knight happened to use is a strong possibility.

It's just a stock loop that both composers happened to use. Composers using stock presets or loops is actually very common. As another example, listen to the credits music from PS1 DOOM:

Now compare that to this Hexen II track:

That sample originates from an Ensoniq synth:

Spoiler

Also compare the following tracks from Total Meltdown and Nebula Fighter:

I'm not sure exactly where the Total Meltdown guitar riffs originate from, but they're likely from a hardware workstation or sample CD as those were commonly used for game soundtracks that used digitized music.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

Huh. That is good to know. Thank you! I have witnessed so many plagiarism cases over seemingly benign things and shared assets over the last decades that I did not know what to make of this.

14 hours ago, anon said:

doubt it's a sample because duke is midi.

Duke3D on PC was MIDI, yeah. Total Meltdown is XA Audio, which is streamed, so the production probably resembled modern DAW production as seen today.

I will say I don't know for sure where the sample came from, but it is 100% identical in both tracks, and I'd think that if either of them created it and the other used it, there would've been a lawsuit that flew. So I'm pretty sure it's from _some_ sample library.

We'd have to ask Sascha or Mark to know for sure though - and they'd have to remember themselves, nearly 30 years later.