Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HotCoffee

Forever Cursed - A simple vanilla map

Forever Cursed is a simple vanilla map for Ultimate Doom

It's the first time I finish and upload a WAD so I would really love to get some feedback.

I was thinking of making an entire episode filled with maps like this so tell me what you think!

img2.png.25146b4855013ed958feb59cfc8f1f20.png

==== WAD info ====

Tested with: GZDoom, Crispy Doom, Chocolate Doom, Vanilla doom.

(should work on every source port)

Format: Vanilla

IWAD: Ultimate Doom

It's a single map that replaces E1M1.

==== Download ====

Doom Shack

Played with Walpurgis on GZdoom so my gameplay experience may have been altered.

Aesthetically and architecturally wise, the map is sweetly vanilla-minimalist and I love it, plus I find it to serve well the gameplay :)

Talking of gameplay,  this thing would be the only """real""" complaint (because I find it to break somewhat the dynamism for no real purpose, though it's the end of the map...) 

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20220816_180133.png.44db72f479d46372fef89ccdad63970b.png

beyond that, the map IS dynamic. In my own point of view, the dynamism of a map is what keep you playing a whole WAD. Because if you at least follow a minimum of aesthetic rules, you can't be criticized for that compared to gameplay which is the core of what make Doom fun. So, ultimately, if you make an entire episode, please keep your philosophy because it is good :) 

Still, keep practicing your aesthetic to make it even more appealing ! Use texture packs if you want some experience. 

Here is some : https://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures/

this would be my personal advise.

Fun map! A good foundation to making more, solid all around. The flesh room was my favorite part. The exit reveal was cool, but I'd definitely make that sector shorter ;) looking forward to more from you!

Here's a playthrough in GZDoom

Cute, short and fun. It's got the basics going and it flows well enough. Enjoyed the transition into the flesh area and then the tunnel of blood, that was pretty neat! I didn't find any major bugs, but I do think you should tweak some areas, like the exit with the wall, is way too slow to descend, and the corridor with the candelabras, those are just there to annoy the player.

12 hours ago, Briøche said:

Played with Walpurgis on GZdoom so my gameplay experience may have been altered.

Aesthetically and architecturally wise, the map is sweetly vanilla-minimalist and I love it, plus I find it to serve well the gameplay :)

Talking of gameplay,  this thing would be the only """real""" complaint (because I find it to break somewhat the dynamism for no real purpose, though it's the end of the map...) 

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20220816_180133.png.44db72f479d46372fef89ccdad63970b.png

beyond that, the map IS dynamic. In my own point of view, the dynamism of a map is what keep you playing a whole WAD. Because if you at least follow a minimum of aesthetic rules, you can't be criticized for that compared to gameplay which is the core of what make Doom fun. So, ultimately, if you make an entire episode, please keep your philosophy because it is good :) 

Still, keep practicing your aesthetic to make it even more appealing ! Use texture packs if you want some experience. 

Here is some : https://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures/

this would be my personal advise.

Does the secret/kills/items counter on the right come with Walpurgis, or is that a separate mod you're using?

As others have said, there's no reason for that lift to take so long, or you could at least start it lowering as soon as the red switch is hit, as it takes some time to kill the Barons anyway. Only other comment I have is that I left the first Baron as I didn't fancy spending forever with the SG/CG, but the final room seems to lock you in so I couldn't go back and kill it with the RL ammo I had left at the end.

Fun map overall though. I'd definitely play an episode of this.

10 hours ago, NaliSeed said:

Does the secret/kills/items counter on the right come with Walpurgis, or is that a separate mod you're using?

It come with Walpurgis, but I think this can also be used as a separate custom statistics :)

10 hours ago, NaliSeed said:

Both GZDoom and PRBoom based ports have it implemented in automap. But some mods bring it out on the hud

i have played this twice, it's fun and has a nice flow overall! liked the blue key door encounter but i do not think there needed to be the candles in the hallway.
good pacing! pretty much every encounter was fun. the spine lift does take a long time, but on my 2nd playthu it managed to lower right after i was done with those barons without trying to lower it early? (i might have double clicked on it accidentally)

Ultimate Doom _"CURSD.wad" - E1M1 [Forever Cursed by HotCoffee] _ UVMax 100% Speedrun (Doom 2, Heretic & Hexen) Mods Pistol Start.