Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathWolf1982

Inspirations for doom

Well lemme take a guess, what did the 70's and 80's Horror/sci-fi films that inspired our favorite FPS game of all time Doom by ID Software.

-Alien-

-The Evil Dead- shotgun and chainsaw and possessed zombies and demons.

-The Thing (1982)- probably the pinky demon could be inspired by one of the monsters, and the UAC base/Snowy outpost.

-aliens- 

-Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn- same above.

-Hellraiser- The pinky could be inspired by that demon that chases the girl in the hallway.

a few films i forgot, one including an alien brain that inspired the Spider Mastermind/Arachnotron.

some of the monsters could be based off 80's B horror movies.

and the DND "Dungeons and Dragons" stuff for the mazes and stuff.

what did inspire doom?

There seems to be influence from arcade shooters with many enemies using slow dodgeable projectiles. It's hard to name any specific games but one somewhat safe bet is that Contra games gave some inspiration.

6 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

The Bible

Nice joke lmfao, Sorry for it it's not a joke. i did like The unholy cathedral level!

1 hour ago, banjiepixel said:

There seems to be influence from arcade shooters with many enemies using slow dodgeable projectiles. It's hard to name any specific games but one somewhat safe bet is that Contra games gave some inspiration.

And probably Metroid.

Edited by ElmStreetSlasher1984

10 minutes ago, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

Nice joke lmfao.

Except it's not, see many of Petersen maps and all of E4.

Just now, Thelokk said:

Except it's not, see many of Petersen maps and all of E4.

Yeah, i do see it now.

The unholy cathedral has to be my favorite level.

1 minute ago, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

And probably Metroid.

Metroid is also very likely source for inspiration. And both Contra and Metroid have strong Alien franchice influences.

Just now, banjiepixel said:

Metroid is also very likely source for inspiration. And both Contra and Metroid have strong Alien franchice influences.

And doom has evil dead influences like the possessed solders, the Boomstick (super shotgun) and Chainsaw!

In one of the early builds of doom, one of the collectable items was a Necronomicon Ex Mortis (aka) Un-holy bible.

Picture the evil tiny clones of Doomguy's breaking out of the mirror.

I'm certain that the Archvile design was inspired by movie monster Pumpkinhead and the Pinky demon was inspired by the Engineer from Hellraiser. Also, I think the Imp design takes after the alien creature from Xtro.

Spoiler

pumpkinhead-1988.jpg

The-Engineer-in-Hellraiser.jpg?q=50&fit=

xtro-1982-main.jpg

Edited by Piper Maru : Just added Xtro at the bottom as I think it might have inspired the Imp design.

44 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

I'm certain that the Archvile design was inspired by movie monster Pumpkinhead and the Pinky demon was inspired by the Engineer from Hellraiser.

Hide contents

pumpkinhead-1988.jpg

The-Engineer-in-Hellraiser.jpg?q=50&fit=

And for the zombies, For example the green hair zombie could be based off arnold shwartznegger.

8 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

The Bible

The Bible III was the best one - the series really went downhill after they moved the setting to outer space.

Also, they could have picked some titles that were a little less cliche. Resurrection? Revelations? Really, come on!

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

Forgive me but I am not sure of the point of this thread is. Doom's inspirations are well known and documented. You basically listed all of them.

The shotgun zombie could be based off Dwayne "The rock" Johnson or probably a bald actor.

The chaingun zombie could be based off Mike Tyson or a black actor.

22 hours ago, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

Well lemme take a guess, what did the 70's and 80's Horror/sci-fi films that inspired our favorite FPS game of all time Doom by ID Software.

-Alien-

-The Evil Dead- shotgun and chainsaw and possessed zombies and demons.

-The Thing (1982)- probably the pinky demon could be inspired by one of the monsters, and the UAC base/Snowy outpost.

-aliens- 

-Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn- same above.

-Hellraiser- The pinky could be inspired by that demon that chases the girl in the hallway.

a few films i forgot, one including an alien brain that inspired the Spider Mastermind/Arachnotron.

some of the monsters could be based off 80's B horror movies.

and the DND "Dungeons and Dragons" stuff for the mazes and stuff.

what did inspire doom?

Dante's Inferno is also an inspiration for Doom.  Dis is a city in Hell in that poem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dis_(Divine_Comedy)

1 hour ago, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

The shotgun zombie could be based off Dwayne "The rock" Johnson\

He didn't become known until 1995. Doom was released in 1993. Even then, I really do not see the resemblance. Why does it have to based on anything? It's a zombie guy in vaguely military uniform with a shotgun. Hardly specific.

1 hour ago, ElmStreetSlasher1984 said:

The shotgun zombie could be based off Dwayne "The rock" Johnson or probably a bald actor.

The chaingun zombie could be based off Mike Tyson or a black actor.

That makes as much sense as saying the Archvile could be based on Spongebob even though Spongebob was not created yet, just because they are both yellow and irritating.

"The enemy is black, so it must be based on a black actor or Mike Tyson" (?) (?) (?)

The enemy is bald so it must be based on The Rock (?) (?) (?)

You gonna tell me that the Cyberdemon is based on Kim Kardashian next or something?

7 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

That makes as much sense as saying the Archvile could be based on Spongebob even though Spongebob was not created yet, just because they are both yellow and irritating.

"The enemy is black, so it must be based on a black actor or Mike Tyson" (?) (?) (?)

The enemy is bald so it must be based on The Rock (?) (?) (?)

You gonna tell me that the Cyberdemon is based on Kim Kardashian next or something?

Yeah I really do not get what he's going for. This is just random speculation with no actual evidence to back up anything.