Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cheello

Voxel Doom Releasing Today

Nice work, I like how these look. The community has done some incredible 3D modeling over the years but they never just look quite right - through no fault of the modelers. The voxels add depth without changing the feel.

Excited to see this finally ship! Now that we have voxel versions of all the sprites (well, almost all of them -- we still need Doom 2 monsters) maybe voxels as a feature will get wider acceptance.

I do think having the monsters fully represented in 3D does highlight a limitation with Doom, which is that enemies only move in orthogonal and diagonal lines. It's not so obvious with sprite enemies but with voxel (or polygonal) enemies it's quite stark. I wonder if anyone has tried to rectify this...?

Now this is a beautiful mod, I've been having a lot of fun with it so far. It's like that placebo effect in which you think something is new, but in reality, you just gave it a fresh coat of paint. Voxels will always look better than actual 3D models if you ask me.

Those gibbing animations on the cyb and SM must've driven you mad - they look so rad, though!

The bubbles on the nukage are beyond adorable.

Edited by Daytime Waitress

A reminder to anyone who's seeing flat voxel models - you are most likely on AMD hardware, have not updated your AMD driver and am using the OpenGL backend.

You can either:

1) Switch to Vulkan

2) Update your AMD driver

This is a very well-known issue.

Was following the development of this on Twitter. Awesome stuff!

Loved seeing your models on twitter. Congratulations on the release. The only thing that feels a bit off are medkits and powerups like supercharges, because they may be facing the 'wrong' direction. Having them rotate like you did with keys would probably look better.

Had to try this even though only Doom 1 monsters are replaced. Surprised I was still getting a playable framerate.

HyXz0fH.png

Have been seeing this pop up here and there for a while and it's cool to finally see it released!

This might go without saying but in case someone else runs into this issue, it does require hardware rendering, or at least it kept crashing for me in software mode.

Edited by Lippeth

56 minutes ago, DevilMyEyes said:

I wonder what Romero would think of this

"I've told ya Doom is 3D!"

I immediately checked out Doom 2 seeing as it's quite a lot more vertical than Doom1. Dishonored-style drop kills on Map15 with mouselook are amazing. No more will your hapless victim appear to be lying on the grass, pedalling his feet in the air like a baby as you plummet towards him. No! You can pump your pellets directly into the top of his never-before-seen green head!

Would it be a good idea to edit the first post to mention this requires gzdoom?

It may be kind of obvious, but i could not find the source-port requirement until i downloaded the zip from moddb.

that looks really good guys. probably a stupid question but is there plans to add voxels to doom 64? maybe as an addon for the CE version? 

I've been following the mod's progress here and on youtube, I'm so glad it is finished!

Just tested it on Delta Touch through LZDoom and it works great. These Voxels look AMAZING, the love and detail you put on these is incredible. Great work!

Congratulations on the release! :D