Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoobModsDoom

Doom 2 Icon of sin Department

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/3/folders/1Uhm6q1h7aHv1EQWbC93RA0vSbg_EgG9j

Here is my new Wad based on the final level Doom2 Map 30 Icon of sin  (updated) v2

WAD Requirement

• GZDOOM 4.2 or above
  • support all mods
  • Brutal doom works great 
  • Enjoy the wad
  • MAP0

Required Graphic settings.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JrVZyJWOxgPfZOJE12YZ9-btpTMMGzA8/view?usp=sharing

Edited by NoobModsDoom : Updated Few things in this wad

Some neat things about this map, as well as some not so neat things.

First, on a technical note, the 3D layout of the map is really cool.  That said, it is also kind of broken, as seen in these screenies: 

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20220817-144502.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220817-144518.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220817-144624.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220817-144638.png
Screenshot-Doom-20220817-144641.png

These problems appear to be entirely visual, I and my (and the demons') projectiles were always able to pass between different levels without any trouble.  

I got lost around the point that the "Generator activated!" message popped up.  I didn't know what the generator was, and I wandered and wandered without any idea of what to do next.  Eventually I cheated a bit and went into UDB to dissect the scripting around those two switches: it turns out that they lower a teleporter hidden in a wall in the main building, which I would never have known was there.  And, yeah, I may have eventually noticed it, but it's not that easy to spot and it would probably be best to indicate that there is a teleporter hidden there in some way--better yet if it's in or around something that resembles a generator ;3 As it is I feel it's too arcane and unintuitive.

The enemy encounters are mixed.  Early on the battles are really easy, there's plenty of health and ammo in the central building and it's easy to get the cyberdemon behind the yellow grate to just murder all of those monsters between him and you without any real threat of taking damage.  The two pain elemental encounters above the lava room aren't much either, mostly since you can just pop around the corner and spray plasma at them.

The map became a lot more interesting once the Icon of Sin (is he the head of the department?) finally awoke and started filling all parts of the map with monsters.  The most fun I had in the map was navigating my way back down to the yellow door, seeing once-empty hallways filling up with nasties, and then teleporting into those back galleries and that forest that both started suddenly filling with demons.  Exciting stuff!  The layout with all the doors and hallways really made for frenetic gameplay here.  My only question, though, is: is it necessary to go through the yellow door at all?  Maybe I just lost it in the fracas but I don't remember any switches or even interesting items back in there.  If so, it would be strange that some of the funnest parts of the map are also the most unnecessary.

The final face-off (heh) against the Icon drags a lot.  I realized you must be doing a thing that closes the IoS brain door every time I get a rocket through, requiring me to climb the building again and repeat the whole process more times than I could count.  Maybe I needed to focus more on getting the rockets in at the right angle, but either way having to flip the switch every time became tedious quickly.

If I were to suggest anything, it would probably be to let the Icon awaken a little earlier--not at the very beginning, it's nice and quite clever the way you build a bit of tension at the outset--but enough that I could really feel the pressure building a bit more while still navigating the depths of the map.  That and, as noted, make the Icon a little less of a slog to kill.  As a minor point it would also make sense not to have the Icon's health appear until he's awake...again, adds to the tension ;) I like the idea you have here, for as much as people like to rag on the Icon I like the madness it can create and especially when it's filling up a whole level like this.  Good stuff.

Hay thanks a lot for such detailed feedback you played it i a glad you like my idea i made a lot of maps like these and as you can see i added my own cuatom textures and sprites sounds as well and i will fix tye bugs yiu mention overall thanks for auch detailed feedback man

That glit h occur cz you didntnuse gzdoom 4 or above or therr are some setting issue i had same iaaue try switching that

18 minutes ago, Boob4Doom Mods said:

That glit h occur cz you didntnuse gzdoom 4 or above or therr are some setting issue i had same iaaue try switching that

I actually did test it again with the latest version of GZDoom just to be sure, and the glitching still happened.

i have finished this level, here are my thoughts:

good things:

- the building itself looks nice

- i like the water effect

- the 3D floors look good

bad things:

- in the "basement" area, next to the lift there are some switches which aren't reachable, i had to use cheats to activate them

- there's a LOT of missing texture's on the stairs

- there is too much soulspheres in the main building

- don't you think there are too many pain elementals in the second icon's room?

- i think the tree texture looks kinda off

- the teleportation sound is awful

i think you should add some office things into the building, to make it look better

overall, i think the map should be upgraded but it has a good concept

2 minutes ago, Ordon said:

i have finished this level, here are my thoughts:

good things:

- the building itself looks nice

- i like the water effect

- the 3D floors look good

bad things:

- in the "basement" area, next to the lift there are some switches which aren't reachable, i had to use cheats to activate them

- there's a LOT of missing texture's on the stairs

- there is too much soulspheres in the main building

- don't you think there are too many pain elementals in the second icon's room?

- i think the tree texture looks kinda off

- the teleportation sound is awful

i think you should add some office things into the building, to make it look better

overall, i think the map should be upgraded but it has a good concept

Thanks a lot for the feedback part of 2 switches activate teleport is activated in the main hallway with a yellow and blue door  btw thanks for feedback i am working on few more wads and i will upload some of my old wads as well i worked on in 2019 

Ok, I do hate Icon of Sin maps....but there's a little more going on here and more than a shitty troll map.:) The last part did make me quit because I saw where it was going, but that's less a mark of quality than my patience. It'd be great to see more from you!

hey, I tried to play it but i was unable to progress, the was a messege that i activate some kind of generator or something, but i have non of the keys and nowhere to go. It's some kind of glich?

@RED77 I missed it too. There’s a teleported in the wall of either the second or third floor of the tower (I forget which) that opens when the generator is activated. Like I said in my review it’s extremely easy to miss since nothing indicates either that anything is in that wall or what exactly the “generator” actually affects in the map.