Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

The Big Annual NIN Thread

OK, every 6 months or so, we have a n00b who, for whatever reason, beleives that all Doomers are obsessed with Nine Inch Nails.

This isn't to say that Doom and NIN are completly seperate. Id did their tip-of-the-hat to Trent & co. in Episode 4, Map 1. That, and the NIN logos on the nailgun boxes in Quake, signify that the two do have a good relationship.

Also, Mr. Reznor is/was helping with the music and sound effects for the much anticipated Doom 3. If you didn't know that, I suggest you spend more time on the forums.

For all we know, Trent could've checked out this site a few times while working on the effects.

Now, to get this underway before some n00b beats me to it. This thread is completly voulentary, so if you don't like the band, that's fine.

1. What is your favorite/least hated Nine Inch Nails album?

This includes full length albums (Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, And All That Could Have Been) only, not singles or remix cds.

2. What is your favorite/least hated NIN single?

This includes Down In It, Head like a Hole, Sin, March of the Pigs, Closer to God, The Perfect Drug, The Day The World Went Away, Halo 15, Still.

3. What is your favorite/least hated remix album?

This includes Fixed, Further Down The Spiral, The Prefect Drug Versions, and Things Falling Apart.

Again, this thread is completly voulentary. I would like to ask you to keep comments like "OMG Trent sux, lol!" to yourself...

...unless you're an administrator or moderator, which in that case, I can't stop you...

...but mods and admins shouldn't be behaving in such ways anyways...

personaly i dont really have a favorite album. i like alot of his stuff, though i tend to prefer alot of the older stuff. I have been to a few concerts and they rock, if u get the chance i would go.

Not a big NIN fan, don't listen to Trent much anymore. My personal favorite album is Pretty Hate Machine, and contrary to many (dsm?) others I love the Quake soundtrack, so I respect Trent as a musician. Don't care what anyone says, the music in Quake is some of the creepiest of all time, next to Shadowman of course.

I for one would be happy if Trent stayed on the DoomIII project.

I haven't heard much of Trent's stuff, but what I have heard is nothing but good. :)

BTW, the Quake music isn't THAT bad. :)

Use3D said:

Not a big NIN fan, don't listen to Trent much anymore. My personal favorite album is Pretty Hate Machine, and contrary to many (dsm?) others I love the Quake soundtrack, so I respect Trent as a musician. Don't care what anyone says, the music in Quake is some of the creepiest of all time, next to Shadowman of course.

I for one would be happy if Trent stayed on the DoomIII project.

I love the Quake soundtrack too. I don't know his albums by name but I do like his music and am glad that he's involved in Doom III.

When I heard NIN in middle school I was totally enthralled by it. I had never heard anything like it and proclaimed it to be the best anything ever.

After my musical boundaries had been expanded a bit, I found NIN repulsive because too many people liked him. I grew out of that too, though.

Now I just consider him to be OK. I think Pretty Hate Machine is a perfectly good album. I don't have a favorite single, and I've only heard one remix album (Further Down the Spiral), which I thought was odious.

damn it, i had a big explination on how much i loved trent reznor and nine inch nails, but the fuckin' net fucked up on me again. well, the reader's digest version:

i love nine inch nails. i love trent reznor.

so does melvin....

Ultraviolet said:

All music by anyone anywhere sucks.

as my friend said protraying the terminator in one of our semi-parady short films:

die.

Cant really say that im a NiN fan, but there music does fit a doom level, and goes good with the quake theme too. But I listen to death and black metal, and trent and his band were never really heavy enough for me

Ultraviolet said:

Did the Terminator ever say that?

not it t1 or t2. our movie was called terminator: negative one, which was kind of a prequil to the other movies, and our terminator said it. (if karl the pastboy does a four second handstand, the terminator future is wiped out, so they send a terminator to stop him. i played man from future, the one sent back to protect karl.)

[QUOTE]Insomniak said:

[b]1. What is your favorite/least hated Nine Inch Nails album?

Definately The Fragile. I don't care that everyone else hated it, I still think its pretty damn good. It's the most unique album he's ever done.

Mmm...the singles mostly suck, but Sin is pretty coll becuase I love some of the effects he used in the remixes and it also has Get Down Make Love, a Queen cover which was mixed my Al Jorgenson. Also, that song is pretty funny. ^_^

Further Down. Made complete by Trent screaming 'Erase Me' repeatedly but uberslowed down on the Eraser tracks, and the sound clip of Bowie saying '...falls wanking to the floor!'. It's the only time I've heard the work 'wanking' outside the internet. Also, there were like other people who did stuff on that album like Aphex Twin and one of the guys from Coil. The tracks from the British version complete the whole experience.

As for the Quake soundtrack, it sucks ass on its own. But since its a soundtrack, it was made to fit with the game. And it does so very well IMO.

1) I don't like any actual NIN albums, although if I had the chance to remake one to proper standards, I'd definately go with the Downward Spiral.

2) It's a tie between Closer CD1 and March of the Pigs. Discounting the album versions, the rest of the tracks on these were surprisingly good (if a bit repetitive).

3) Further Down digipack edition. Ruiner Version is one of the best mixes from TDS sessions. Heresy Version would be there too, but Clouser included too much muck from the original.

Insomniak said:

Mr. Reznor is/was helping with the music and sound effects for the much anticipated Doom 3. If you didn't know that, I suggest you spend more time on the forums.

Didn't know he was/is/couldbe/etc doing that. I spend enough time on these forums already thankyouverymuch.

Insomniak said:

For all we know, Trent could've checked out this site a few times while working on the effects.

wow...that...is...so..exciting.....

I consider myself to be a huge NIN fan. I also want it known that Quake soundtrack was brilliant, contrary to the popular belief here. Anyhow, to answer your question...

1. Fragile- Just edging out downward spiral, but not by much.

2. Ummm Piggy (Further down the spiral), Closer mix (original is too cheesy), downward spiral, great below, hurt, just like you imagined and eraser. Too many to list actually.

3. Furhter Down The Spiral. I don't think there is any dispute on that.

1. What is your favorite/least hated Nine Inch Nails album?

The Fragile. Thrashed more than any other album I've ever owned.

Sin for it's coolness, March Of The Pig for it's craziness (easilly the craziest NIN song)

Halo 15 is "We're In This Together." You should also consider that from The Fragile music clips were made for Into The Void and Starfuckers Inc. and didn't have separate CD releases (Starfuckers could be found on The Day The World Went Away though), so you could consider them as singles too. Wish, Happiness In Slavery, Pinion from Broken had a clip made for it, as did Burn from the Natural Born Killers soundtrack and Deep from the Tomb Raider soundtrack. Limiting singles to just the CD releases could be silly in retrospect, so I'd say go with the clip releases for singles.

EDIT: I remember Into The Void being available as a single without the Halo tag

Toss up between Further Down The Spiral v2 (aka the mentioned Digipak version) and Things Falling Apart.

And the And All That Could Have Been DVD is one of the best music DVDs I've ever seen.

Regarding the two versions of "Further Down the Spiral" I am kinda undecided.

The jewelcase version is cool because of the great continuity in the tracks. It really shines if you hear it from track one to finish.

The digipak version doesn't have the same continuity. The tracks doesn't really fit together. It does, however, have the beyond awesome version of "Ruiner" that is the sole reason why I bought it.

(I also have the jewelcase version).

With respect to Doom III, Reznor's not really making a musical soundtrack but all the monster, weapon & background sounds to make the levels come alive. Judging from the leaked alpha, he's done an exceptional job at it so far.

Ultraviolet said:

You lose. :P

Correction: MOST MEW music by MOST anyone anywhere sucks.

Ultraviolet said:

damn your pretty negative and hard to please arnt you

I don't listen to NIN at all, so I don't know hardly anything about them, except that Trent Reznor did the Quake soundtrack, which I personally thought was quite good. Ah, the ambience....

and now, for myself...

1. The Fragile. Personally, I think that it would've been alot better if they had kept 10 miles high on it, which is also my favorite NIN song. It's got it's shitty songs, but remember, you can't make a tasty burger without a little cheese.

2. March of the pigs. The blistered wood image on the cover is one of my favorite from the TDS era. The all the pigs, all lined up mix is great stuff.

3. Fixed

Now hear me out. Asides from the crappy (J.G. Thirlwell's repeditive rendition of Wish), to the absolute crap (the unlisenable Screaming Slave, this cd has some decent tracks. Gave Up was done great, as was Happiness in Slavery (one of my friends compared this to Michael Jackson). Throw This Away had great sterio use and escalation. Fist Fuck was creepy. Another reason why I like this album is that the copy I bought (used, $9.99) turned out to be a limited edition, first pressing, complete with the shiny blue n.