Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

Doom 64 is currently free on Epic

Great, even more people complaining about the lack of mouse aim in the port.

That being said, I have benefited from Epic's store, particularly with their sales and free games. Epic is paying these companies to give away games for free. They are shady, but I think Steam needs competition in the digital distribution market, and Epic seems to be the only one that can give them that.

I've been using Steam since 2004, and I had to because the digital code I received for Half-Life 2 with the GPU I got for Christmas that year required a Steam account. Valve knew what they were doing when they launched Steam. I was pissed, but did it anyway because I wanted to play HL2. And they've been at the front of the digital store ever since.

Edit: and I just realized I probably completely derailed this thread. I'm sorry. For some reason I thought this was in Everything Else. Doom 64 is a great game, and if you haven't played it, you should. And if it's free, all the more reason to play it. But it is best played without mouse aim the first time.

Edited by Jello

38 minutes ago, Jello said:

That being said, I have benefited from Epic's store, particularly with their sales and free games. Epic is paying these companies to give away games for free.

I think I have bought like three games off there, and downloaded about two dozen freebies.

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

I think I have bought like three games off there, and downloaded about two dozen freebies.

I think I've bought Trover Saves the Universe (which is fucking hilarious by the way), Deponia, Disco Elysium, and Rage 2, all on sale from the store. And yet I have 113 games in my epic library. Most of them probably aren't games I want to play, but there are plenty of gems in there that have been given away for free. And I realize that's Epic's marketing strategy is to compete with Steam and get customers to migrate to their service, and if they ever get a sizeable share of the market, they'll put the kibosh on giveaways. But for now they're giving away things for free, so take advantage.

And I've furthered derailed the thread.

Doom 64 is absolutely fantastic, and if you haven't played it yet, you can play it for free. And don't complain about the lack of mouse aim, it doesn't need it, and it breaks puzzles.

16 minutes ago, Jello said:

Doom 64 is absolutely fantastic,

I have tried to play it twice over the years and given up about the midway point both times. Not for me. Some wonderfully atmospheric moments but some map design choices I can only call dickish that made me give up in anger.

Edited by Murdoch

50 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I have tried to play it twice over the years and given up about the midway point both times. Not for me. Some wonderfully atmospheric moments but some map design choices I can only call dickish that made me give up in anger.

Aleast the level design is not worse than doom 2.

13 minutes ago, Ozcar said:

Aleast the level design is not worse than doom 2.

I finished Doom 2. I didn't finish Doom 64. Make of that what you will. It's all subjective opinions at the end of the day. It's not "bad". It's just not for me.

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

[...] some map design choices I can only call dickish that made me give up in anger.

when the inescapable pits exist, it only gives me more reason to persist. there is That One Yellow Key, which is honestly the only frustrating, unintuitive design in the whole game. the only map that is genuinely dickish in my experience is hectic. and when i fail at hectic, it just makes me laugh at myself. doom 64 is easily one the best first person video games, period. better than doom 2, as good as doom episode 2 and 3.

1 minute ago, heliumlamb said:

when the inescapable pits exist, it only gives me more reason to persist. there is That One Yellow Key, which is honestly the only frustrating, unintuitive design in the whole game. the only map that is genuinely dickish in my experience is hectic. and when i fail at hectic, it just makes me laugh at myself. doom 64 is easily one the best first person video games, period. better than doom 2, as good as doom episode 2 and 3.

And better than goldeneye 64.

Nice, been thinking of giving it another go. Just a fantastic version of the game all around - and it's still really hype to me that we got this re-release in the first place. I mean how often do you see a recreation of an obscure N64 spin-off? Sorta feels like we got away with something idk.

On a side-note: saw there was an update back in february which fixed the Hell-Knight damage values to replicate the N64 ones. Ngl that brought me a weirdly wholesome smile - I vaguely remember one of the devs lamenting they got this (very minor) thing wrong. Glad Bethesda or whoever approved the patch. :)

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I can agree with that. I think I look at it through really, really rose tinted glasses. It was a rock for me during hard times, so I will always look at it more favorably than most. But yeah, there were some really dick moves that it pulled. I still love the atmosphere, the new textures, the altered enemy designs, and the fact that Lost Souls, despite their increased lethality, only take one shotgun blast to take out. Thank god they only take one shotgun blast, it should've been that way to begin with.

And of course looking at it after 20 plus years of new Doom content, the levels are nothing expressly special, but they're still fun to play. However I can agree, there were some dickish design choices in it. I still love it though.

And I really shouldn't tell people how to play it, i.e. "mouse aim", play it how you want. But dammit, if I had to go through it using an N64 controller on "Watch Me Die!" you should all have to suffer too!

6 hours ago, Jello said:

Great, even more people complaining about the lack of mouse aim in the port.

I think you mean vertical look. You can use the mouse to aim perfectly fine.

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I think you mean vertical look. You can use the mouse to aim perfectly fine.

You just have to be that guy, don't you?

Yes, I meant vertical look.