Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shark

PrBOOM-plus Sound Issue

Question

Greetings all,

In my custom WAD I'm working on, I've been trying to change the pistol sound to that of the PSX/N64 version, as I prefer it when using the chaingun. However, when it is played by the chaingun in rapid succession, there are a bunch of clipping sounds in-between shots. This does not happen in GZDOOM.

What might I be able to do to alleviate that? Is it a sample-rate issue? The sample rate in SLADE3 reads as '8124 samples at 11025 Hz', and my .cfg file has the following sound settings:

snd_pcspeaker                     0
sound_card                        -1
music_card                        -1
pitched_sounds                    0
samplerate                        48000
slice_samplecount                 512
sfx_volume                        5
music_volume                      5
mus_pause_opt                     1
snd_channels                      32
snd_midiplayer                    "fluidsynth"
snd_soundfont                     "sc-55.sf2"
snd_mididev                       ""
lowpass_filter                    0
full_sounds                       1
mus_extend_volume                 1
mus_fluidsynth_chorus             0
mus_fluidsynth_reverb             1
mus_fluidsynth_gain               150
mus_opl_gain                      50

4 answers to this question

Where did you extract it from? Try out Rowdy Rudy 2. It has this sound and it sounds pretty fine, at least, for me. If it sounds fine for you, than extract it from there. I think it has the right frequency rate.

5 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Where did you extract it from? Try out Rowdy Rudy 2. It has this sound and it sounds pretty fine, at least, for me. If it sounds fine for you, than extract it from there. I think it has the right frequency rate.

Thank you for the tip! I yanked it from a PSX TC WAD I had lying about; I'll see about the version in RR2 and update afterwards.

2 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

2 hours ago, Shark said:

Thank you for the tip! I yanked it from a PSX TC WAD I had lying about; I'll see about the version in RR2 and update afterwards.

Update: so while that clipping/popping sound is still there, because of the sound quality/texture/what-have-you, it's much-less noticeable with the sound effect from RR2, so I will probably be able to use that fine.

Have you made any progress on this? I'm using PrBoom with raytracing and would like to use the ps1 doom sounds.