Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice

Go ahead and Drool...

I've got a question for the 64 TC crew:
I've heard that a few of the original Doom64 maps are more complex in architechture than what the PC Doom engine is capable of. If this is true, how do you deal with it?

the maps isn't that complex believe it or not, there hasn't been a map that I converted thats past 2300 linedefs.

*Ponk!* and Fixed.

Woulda helped if I that font size jobby would have worked right.

*Ponk!#2*

Yeah, Deathman's right. I mapped Spawned Fear, The Lair, and several others, and they weren't that big.

Purely out of interest, how are the conversions being done? Is it a case of painstakingly going through the level, looking at all the details that you see and then reproducing them in an editor? If so, are you playing it on an N64 or an Emulator?

we are using a emulator that we converted the rom from the cartridge. me and elbryan uses a tool that we can't give out to view the tile codes for all images in that rom. thats where we get the textures, flats, sprites etc.

for the levels, I am in charge of that department. but I can't say how the converting of the levels are done ;)

but what I can say it that, its not very difficult to convert them. just two days for each level, and one day each to make the scripts since they are quite subborn...

Deathman said:

me and elbryan uses a tool that we can't give out to view the tile codes for all images in that rom. thats where we get the textures, flats, sprites etc.

WOW! So these are actual genuine rips from the ROM. Proper, genuine sprites, flats and textures, not screen grabs from playing the game. Frikken superb! That explains the good quality and makes me even more excited about this mod.

Heh, I've tried just about every tool I could find on the internet to start ripping into that ROM and failed every time.

i just opened my calculator to figure out the hourly traffic required to exceed 2gig/month..

if the month has 30 days, then 2.84MB/hr is the limit.

that means geocities cuts people off for the rest of the hour once it exceeds 2.84MB.

stupid.

Enjay said:

WOW! So these are actual genuine rips from the ROM. Proper, genuine sprites, flats and textures, not screen grabs from playing the game. Frikken superb! That explains the good quality and makes me even more excited about this mod.

Heh, I've tried just about every tool I could find on the internet to start ripping into that ROM and failed every time.

yeah, everything is straight from the rom itself. but the palette and some minor touches to the sprites has changed them slightly, because thier transparent background is black and is very difficult to tell whats part of them and whats not....
maybe after when we release the tc, we'll release the tool that made our jobs easy ;)

deathz0r said:

I'm already one step ahead of you. =P

Oh yeah, those screenshots look very nice. I can't wait to see it in /newstuff (that is if Ty considers it legal). =]

I wish Ty will accept it into 3dgamers archives, but the wad itself is already past 40mb and doesn't have any midi music (all mp3). but who knows maybe he will accept it...

Deathman said:

but the wad itself is already past 40mb and doesn't have any midi music (all mp3)

Ouch, that's gonna put a strain on my poor little modem.

Deathman said:

I wish Ty will accept it into 3dgamers archives, but the wad itself is already past 40mb and doesn't have any midi music (all mp3). but who knows maybe he will accept it...

I think the issue is whether the music is proportional to the wad, not so much whether there are MP3's in it. Due to space considerations, we have to be careful not to bloat the archives just because someone "found" a bunch of music (it's bad enough with graphics nowadays). However, if it's a complete and lovely experience, how could I be a big ol' grouch and deny...?

So, for 32 levels, 40MB isn't bad nowadays as long as it isn't half because of MP3's.

there will probably be 15 tracks...some may be used in 2 or more levels...

I need to talk to Elbryan about this since he is in charge of the music/tracks department....