Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-Lj-

how do i make multiple teleports in doom builder

im making a level where theres a section you walk into a teleporter to the top of a blood fall you make your way to the other side elevate up a cliff fight a hell knight and grab the red key card on the teleport and be warped back i figured how to make teleporters but sometimes when i go in tp 1 i go to destination 2 i go to tp 2 and go to destination 1 and its really frustrating. im extremely new to wad building thought i'd come here

I think what you are describing is that you randomly teleport between destinations, you didn't say what map format you were using, e.g. Doom: Doom 2 (Doom Format), Boom Format or UDMF etc however, the solution should be universal:

When setting up your teleporters have you tagged the teleport line action to match the sector your teleport destination is in? I believe you may have the same tag for both teleporters, whether it be the tag all sectors start with (0) or one you assigned to both. Tags are how the game identifies what actions go where, e.g. Tag 27 Lift Line action --> Tag 27 Sector = All sectors that are tagged 27 will fulfil the lift action.

The following examples are done in Ultimate Doom Builder.

In this example, for formats which aren't UDMF such as Boom or Doom, this is how you'd set up teleporters that go to different places - if you wanted more unique teleporters you need only use tags not already in use by existing teleporters. 

unknown.png

In UDMF things look and act a little differently: 

unknown.png

5 hours ago, Jark said:

im using zdoom format

I think what you are describing is that you randomly teleport between destinations, you didn't say what map format you were using, e.g. Doom: Doom 2 (Doom

Format), Boom Format or UDMF etc however, the solution should be universal:

When setting up your teleporters have you tagged the teleport line action to match the sector your teleport destination is in? I believe you may have the same tag for both teleporters, whether it be the tag all sectors start with (0) or one you assigned to both. Tags are how the game identifies what actions go where, e.g. Tag 27 Lift Line action --> Tag 27 Sector = All sectors that are tagged 27 will fulfil the lift action.

The following examples are done in Ultimate Doom Builder.

In this example, for formats which aren't UDMF such as Boom or Doom, this is how you'd set up teleporters that go to different places - if you wanted more unique teleporters you need only use tags not already in use by existing teleporters. 

unknown.png

In UDMF things look and act a little differently: 

unknown.png

1 minute ago, ramon.dexter said:

What did you wanted to say? 

They put the reply inside of the quote at the top, saying they are using ZDoom format, which the latter example covers.

ZDoom isn't a format, it's a featureset. When UDB says something like ZDoom: Doom format, ZDoom just tells the editor what sorts of Things you can place in the level, some extended Linedefs, and so on. Doom format is the actual level format being run.

Jark pointed out how to do it above, but the gist of any teleporter is that you create a walkover linedef (W1 = one-shot, WR = repeatable), make sure the little "pointer" is facing outwards (linedef triggers are directionally-oriented!), and you assign it a tag number. You then add a Teleporter Destination Thing, place it inside a closed sector, orient its direction to what direction you want the player to be facing when they come out of it, then give it the same tag as the walkover linedef.

If you've done it right, highlighting either of them should point to the other to indicate they are linked.

Note that a line can only ever point to one Teleporter Destination Thing at a time. You can have multiple lines that all teleport to the same Destination, but you can't, say, have it teleport you to Destination 1 the first time you walk over, Destination 2 the second time you walk over, etc. For that you'd need multiple lines, and you'd have to make some of them W1 so that they got deactivated after one use.

PS: Never use Tag 0. Everything is tagged 0 by default, so things will get very crazy if you try to do that. Start any teleporter and Destination Thing tag with 1; increment them as necessary. If in doubt, click the "Unused" button for the next highest unused number.