Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NuMetalManiak

Guess the Map! (22nd Edition, the final hurrah?)

Previous threads start here:

(this game show has been logoless for a while and I can't think of a good logo sorry)

Welcome to once again another installment of Guess the Map! Once again, it's about guessing maps from automap screenshots! Again, only 20 are provided since the selection of WADs is continuing to wane. This current selection has no theme, but each successive entry here will get slightly harder in difficulty. Also I did try my best to remove teleport closets whenever I could. Important notes:

- Answers MUST be hidden in spoilers, no exceptions. If you don't use the spoiler option, your guesses won't count.

- You may resort to the search bar, web pages, or whatever assistance in case you're not 100% sure of the wad and/or slot but feel like you've seen the map before.

- September 4th: new hints added

- September 10th: answers are given.

CT5c1wn.png

Spoiler

One could say that a core school subject got really freakin' pissed when talking about this level's alternate title.

This is actually an episode ender (not counting the outro map), despite being from a Doom II wad

QWFHs6u.png

Spoiler

Only stock textures, just a humongous map of good Doom action.

You can either tackle this entire level which will take more than two hours to complete at minimum, or in smaller parts in separate maps.

PXbZn1e.png

Spoiler

A very well-designed techbase single level.

Won a Cacoward long ago, but its sequel which had multiple maps didn't.

kUmeHvg.png

Spoiler

Ghosts love to haunt this place, and the dreary rain just adds to the atmosphere.

The plus section on the west side has crushers, a key, and three switches needed to get to the north end.

v87O9qg.png

Spoiler

Title map of something mauve.

SE section is segmented well for difficult combat

VE5ucm5.png

Spoiler

The outer areas help add to this level's overall depth.

Yet you don't actually explore those areas at all, they're just scenery. You're more "confined" to the inner square so to speak.

lJPdKpg.png

Spoiler

While other maps in the set this is in are very vibrant in color, this one seems to be straight-up Hell.

There's a number of interesting portals and warps here, plus a super secret section meant to be like a deathmatch arena where you destroy several marines.

Q70LLx3.png

Spoiler

An enhanced version of a level previously designed by Tom Hall

No it's not Containment Area, obviously, but there's some transports here and there which is an indicator of the name

qwiARSt.png

Spoiler

A sprawling outdoors Zdoom level with a few custom monsters and an inner chamber to enter.

Inspired by a game that has to do with exploring a lush jungle and mountains and such.

DDiSPSL.png

Spoiler

A golden oldie of a level with a few Doomcute sections

There's gallows and a chapel, and of course tons of monsters to deal with.

5fDhEgB.png

Spoiler

If the music stops in the map, the area you're entering in is extremely dangerous and being blown off will result in death.

And it's easy to get blown off. This map inspired by something chilly has icy sectors and combat centered around those, plus some platforming to get to the south side.

QKgX0Yq.png

Spoiler

Hellish arena level with nonstop action indicative of the wad's name

Those squares around the arena are places where you can telefrag cyberdemons.

479p9iN.png

Spoiler

You go to this same level several times already but now it has expanded and these monsters just doing more damage to the poor base.

The cave system and valley which make up more than 3/4 of the level aren't a part of the base though. The teleporters in the base no longer work.

XuYXcqF.png

Spoiler

Penultimate level of a set which seems to be a culmination of all sorts of styles, though with a lot of Evilution-like segments.

SE side has some System Control vibes, NE side has a Last Call teleporter maze to be exact.

yi0fzfp.png

Spoiler

Well, it's supposed to be a small slaughter level...

It's the biggest level of this set though, certainly, with a vibrant color scheme.

Tea6plL.png

Spoiler

Simplistic design, almost as if it were perhaps dead...simple, in a way.

Mancubi and arachnotrons are the only enemies here, but it's not a MAP07. Actually it's in the latter third of the set.

H502lK3.png

Spoiler

Ah yes, going back to the old Windows stuff. I mean we're playing a game that was meant for this kind of operating system so...

Using the start bars and working on the warps can be daunting, especially with a number of traps here and there.

zAWWybX.png

Spoiler

Single map made in 1995 by a deceased author

The only map in this set that's not actually a Doom map.

Q26bRIY.png

Spoiler

The shortest of three particular maps with a light bluish flair

You can easily tell by the design that this is all segmented setpieces of some kind.

OqY2gct.png

Spoiler

A recently wrung out megawad has this as a secret level of sorts.

Despite being inspired by a well-known wad where the overall scale is short, this one is quite large in scale, possibly the largest in the entire megawad.

Edited by NuMetalManiak : answers are given

Spoiler

Shouldn't the hint for #2 say "no custom textures"? (Don't count this as me figuring out the map, I just read Captain POLAND's answer)

Without Hints: 

Spoiler

6- Something from a 1024 wad?

14- Good Morning Phobos Map 29

15- Micro-Slaughter Community Project Map 13

With Hints:

Spoiler

1- Back To Saturn X Episode 2 Map 26

13- Equinox Map 11

19- Magnolia Map 2

20- Plutonia Revisited Community Project 2 Map 32

Hints and Wiki:

Spoiler

18-Recant by Dr.Sleep

Edited by tonytheparrot

Without hints:

Spoiler

1. BTSX E2M26

With hints:

Spoiler

3. Hedrox

8. Lost Episode: Evil Unleashed E5M4

13. Equinox Map11

18. Recant, which I swear has been in this before... yep, galileo used it in the 14th edition.

Spoiler

01. BTSX, E2M26

04. Reverie, MAP18

13. Equinox, MAP11

14. Good Morning Phobos, MAP29

18. Recant (I believe I put this one in some very early edition, so I instantly recognized it)

Poorly done from my part, oh well. 

EDIT: remembered...

Spoiler

05. Violence, MAP04

12. Vigor, MAP18

Edited by galileo31dos01

Without hints:

Spoiler
  1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. Slaughter until Death, E2M7: Dehumanization
  11. -
  12. -
  13. -
  14. -
  15. -
  16. -
  17. -
  18. RECANT11.wad
  19. -
  20. -

With hints:

Spoiler
  1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. Violence, MAP04: Violence
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. Slaughter until Death, E2M7: Dehumanization
  11. -
  12. -
  13. -
  14. -
  15. -
  16. -
  17. -
  18. RECANT11.wad
  19. -
  20. -

Well that's just the worst I've ever been is it not

New hints are done. And yes I completely brain-gooped and realized that one of these was already done before in a previous edition and that shows we're really running out of maps to think about!

Spoiler

02. Holy Hell (MAP05)

11. Super MAYhem 17, MAP12 (played on coop, watched in streams)

16. Dimensions of Time, MAP22 (coincidentally what I'm playing currently)

20. Plutonia Revisited 2, MAP32 (?) ... it's not a wild guess, if it really is the correct wad then I think it matches with what I saw in a stream, but afaik there are multiple big maps in it so, idk

I believe 06 is from whichever Claustrophobia 1024 wad since it's not in Congestion which is the one I played some years ago, and 15 is perhaps from Micro Slaughter -- looking at the layout, my gut says it's Bridgeburner's map.......... * curiously opens doomwiki * .......... oh it is lmao, mark that answer!

Additional last minute guesses:

10. ohhh, I know this, hold up... yes! that is called "Slaughter Until Death" and it's E2M7, I do remember practically everything including gallows I think located towards the southern metallic hallways, but no memories from a chapel, weird

redeemed myself

Spoiler

01 MAP26: Beneath a Festering Moon (BTSX-E2)
02 Holy Hell
03 HeDRoX
04 MAP18: Sleeping Spirits (Reverie)
05 MAP04: Violence (Violence)

06 MAP03: Plutonic Plate Shift (Plutonia 1024)
08 E5M4: Caroll St. Station (Doom: The Lost Episode)
10 E2M7: Dehumanization (Slaughter Until Death)

13 MAP11 (Equinox)

18 Recant
19 MAP02: Prowling Fowl (Magnolia)

1. MAP26 Beneath a Festering Moon from Back to Saturn X Episode 2 (tonytheparrot, SiFi, galileo, Shepardus, RjY)

2. MAP05 Holy Hell (Captain POLAND, Shepardus, galileo, RjY, I could have accepted MAP01-MAP04 too since they all use the same layout)

3. MAP01 HeDRoX (SiFi, RjY)

4. MAP18 Sleeping Spirits from Reverie (galileo, RjY)

5. MAP04 Violence from Violence (NaZa, galileo, RjY)

6. MAP03 Plutonic Plate Shift from Plutonia 1024 (RjY)

7. MAP03 Ravage from Refracted Reality

8. E5M4 Caroll St. Station from Doom: The Lost Episode (SiFi, RjY)

9. The Island

10. E2M7 Dehumanization from Slaughter Until Death (NaZa, RjY, galileo)

11. MAP12 Cool, Cool Shotgun from Super MAYhem 17 (galileo)

12. MAP18 The Siege III from Vigor (galileo)

13. MAP11 from Equinox (tonytheparrot, SiFi, galileo, RjY, also MemeMind you were so close but this is the fourth hub map)

14. MAP29 Hybrid Excalibur from Good Morning Phobos (galileo)

15. MAP13 Technocratic Terror from Micro Slaughter Community Project (snotface, galileo)

16. MAP22 Ruins from Dimensions of Time (galileo)

17. My Soul Trapped in a Win98 PC

18. RECANT11.wad (tonytheparrot, SiFi, Doomlover77, galileo, NaZa, RjY)

19. MAP02 Prowling Fowl from Magnolia (tonytheparrot, Astro X, RjY)

20. MAP31 Steel Mill Zone from Plutonia Revisited Community Project 2 (silverminer, tonytheparrot and galileo wad guesses, but the slot isn't MAP32 unless it was changed recently? textfile still reads Orestruck as MAP32 so this is MAP31)

This will probably be the final time I'll host a Guess the Map by the way. I got plenty of work commitments this month going into October and I barely have enough time to do things, plus usual burnout. And yes, I didn't remember that Recant was already done in a previous edition and it shows we're running out of maps to guess out of all of these, so this seems like a good time to end it. At least for me. Anyone wishing to host one of these Guess the Map editions can do one! Ask me or @galileo31dos01 on how we do it and maybe we'll get back to you if we have the time.

Guess the Map has been a very fun thing, to try to recognize them and see how well you can visualize layouts. Not a minigame I expected to see, a very unique concept. I hope to see it return. Thank you for your tenure as the host of this, it's been a blast and especially satisfying when you can recognize more than usually.

On that note... wtf me? Have played both Dimensions of Time and MAYhem 17 relatively recently :/ yet I failed to recognize em...

On 9/10/2022 at 10:14 AM, NuMetalManiak said:

13. MAP11 from Equinox (tonytheparrot, SiFi, galileo, RjY, also MemeMind you were so close but this is the fourth hub map)

Ahh got mixed up with the BTSX Hub maps, which had three of them.