Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

Ironeagle Competition 47: PhobosDeimos Anomaly

Welcome once again to a new month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge that welcomes all comers, regardless of how experienced you are or what your skill level is. As long as you enjoy Doom, you're welcome to join us!

This month, participants will challenge themselves against PhobosDeimos Anomaly, a set of 12 vanilla maps for Ultimate Doom made by the late Guy Callum Oliver (AKA phobosdeimos1), with one of the maps being co-authored by Walter Confalnieri (Doomworld's own @Walter confetti). In 2015, Xaser compiled this mapset from Oliver's maps that were made for Doom the Way iD Did, but not used in the project. The mapset is divided into 2 episodes, with 6 episodes each.

Participants must play these maps on complevel 3 or Doom(strict).

The episode "Besieged" starts at E1M1. Survival is finishing E1M6. The episode "Anomaly" starts at E2M1. Survival is finishing E2M6. Both episodes have a 7th map that acts merely as "The End." Participants may play "Anomaly" even if they did not survive "Besieged."

Download PhobosDeimos Anomaly.

UV: @Luleta (Runner-up: @Horus)

HMP: @Zhaojue (Runner-up: @SCF

HNTR: Pegleg (Runner-up: @Andromeda)

Spoiler
  • Template for Chocolate Doom:
    • -iwad doom.wad -file pd1-anom.wad -deh pd1-anom.deh -skill <x> -warp 1 1 -record <IEpd1anom-1>
    • -iwad doom.wad -file pd1-anom.wad -deh pd1-anom.deh -skill <x> -warp 2 1 -record <IEpd1anom-2>

• Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom.wad -file pd1-anom.wad -complevel 3 -skill <x> -warp 1 1 -record <IEpd1anom-1>
    • -iwad doom.wad -file pd1-anom.wad -complevel 3 -skill <x> -warp 2 1 -record <IEpd1anom-2>

• Template for ZDoom:
    • -iwad doom.wad -file pd1-anom.wad  +compatmode 2 -skill <x> +map e1m1 -record <IEpd1anom-1>
    • -iwad doom.wad -file pd1-anom.wad  +compatmode 2 -skill <x> +map e2m1 -record <IEpd1anom-2>
      • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom

• <x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV
  • <IEvrealms> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo.
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned.

Category System:

• Category 1: Blind run.
    • This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before. I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.
      • For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.
  • Category 2: Non-blind.
    • If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. (Just don't submit your first run.) If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submissions will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. Your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

When you submit your run, please the include the following information:

• The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • Whether you survived both episodes and the total time for survival (both episodes)
  • If you didn't survive, the maps where you died in each episodes
  • If you didn't survive both episodes, the time of death in both episodes
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g. "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. In you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

• Survival (of both episodes)
  • Total time for survival
  • Total maps completed
  • Total time before final death

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 39 (Jan.): The Talosian Incident (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: PsychEyeball   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 40 (Feb.): Apokalypsis (Winners -- UV: Maribo   HMP: Goofy_1966   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 41 (Mar.): Breach and Brigandine (Winners -- UV: SCF   HMP: head_cannon   HNTR: Major Arlene)
  • 42 (Apr.): Nex Credo (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 43 (May): Ezekiel (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP: LadyMistDragon   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 44 (Jun.): Elegy (Winners -- UV: mhrz   HMP:  SCF  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 45 (Jul.): Respawned: Back from Hell (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP:  LadyMistDragon  HNTR: Andromeda)
  • 46 (Aug.): Viscous Realms (Winners -- UV: dt_   HMP:  LadyMistDragon  HNTR: Andromeda)
Edited by Pegleg : EDIT 1: Corrected the title of IE 46. EDIT 2: Added monthly winners.

Both runs

Category: 1

Difficulty: HNTR

Episode 1

Softlocked on: E1M5

Time: 42:30

Kills: 94/96

Episode 2

Dead on: E2M1

Time: 0:25

Kills: 0/21

You may want to watch my phenomenal performance on E2 :^)

ie_pd1-anom_andromeda.zip

Category 1
Difficulty: UV

Episode 1
Survived in 44:27

Episode 2

Survived in 32:45

ie47_phd_maribo.zip

Spoiler

Never met PhobosDeimos, but their enthusiasm for Doom 1 shows. Neat maps. RIP.

Did my runs earlier and didn't post them because I didn't want them to be used as a target or some other crazy superstition... while forgetting how slow I actually was lmao. Still, quite happy with them.

Category 1 UV

E1 survived in 45:09

E2 survived in 35:48

Survived in 1:20:57.

Difficulty: HMP

Episode 1: Survived in 32:32

Episode 2: Died on Map 2 with 22 kills

DWIE_22-09-pd-anom_SCF.zip

I found a secret, and the reward was a pinky I couldn't hit biting my face off.

Doom 1 wads don't really do it for me. Ran most of the way through e1, but having to start over from scratch in e2 was rough.

Episode 1: Survived in 44:29
Episode 2: Survived in 31:49

This mapset did have its fun moments, but I spent a lot of E1 wishing for an SSG.

@Andromeda Welcome to the zero kills club! I've been there :D

ironeagle_horus_phde.zip

https://youtu.be/yfDEgJuCCgg

The run starts at about 20:30.

Category 1 run on UV.

Survived E1 in 1:01:15.

Survived E2 in 39:31.

Quite the comfy vanilla mapset overall, which gave me little difficulty other than the occasional mean crusher.

category 1 uv

Survived e1 in 30:36

survived e2 in 22:54

ie_luleta_sep22.zip

once again i do terrible in one ironman and pretty good in the other one xP

ignored 90% of enemies because it's doom 1 and they're never a threat :^3

shotgunners were very merciful to me

On 9/3/2022 at 1:41 PM, SCF said:

I found a secret, and the reward was a pinky I couldn't hit biting my face off.

holy fuck that was bullshit 

pinkie bites your pinkies (toes)

Category: 2

Difficulty: HNTR

Besieged (Episode 1)

Survived 1:19:16

Anomaly (Episode 2)

Survived 0:49:25

ie_pegleg_pd1anom.zip

Another complete survival for me. Yay! There were a couple mis-steps along the way, and a few near mis-steps, so I'm quite pleased that I was able to pull it out in the end.

@Andromeda Another member for the zero kills club! Welcome. Don't worry, our parties are a lot of fun.

Survived E1 in like 34:35 or something?

Died in E2M3 in 13:31 in a quite humiliating fashion

Spoiler

So perhaps heading to the right teleporter may actually be a bad idea. But it wasn't like there was just 1 Baron in that direction. However,  I was not expecting to run into TWO of them in the cruddy Limbo homage that reveals some genuine sadism.

lmd_phobdem_eagle_uv.zip

lmd_phobdeme2_eagle_uv.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Both cat 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiu36veja8gcvem/dtphobosdeimos.lmp?dl=1 (ep 1)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6ztaramailacx0/dtphobosdeimos2.lmp?dl=1 (ep 2)  survival about 45 mins

I honestly can't remember much about e1, I can't even remember if I survived, sorry, I recorded it ages ago and have not been able to upload it until now.  I just recorded ep2, due to not noticing that there was an ep2 until about an hour ago

Nice easy going wads

IEpd1anom-UVhc.zip

Episode 1:

DNF - I made it as far as E1M3 with 201 kills, but then had the misfortune to get cursed with the all-ghosts bug.

Episode 2:

Dead in E2M1 with 2 kills.

Spoiler

The beginning presented me with three possible paths to take. I dove down one lava corridor, and it deposited me in a room with a small crowd of sleeping shotgunners. In my freshly-spawned unarmored state, I wasn't sure that my health would hold out long enough to pistol down one of the crowd AND go through the weapon-switch animation when I took his gun. I decided to go back and try a different path, but to my horror I discovered that it was actually too steep a drop to climb back up. That dirty trick cost me 60HP, and reduced my odds of survival from "slim" to "nil."

Similarly to when I investigated phobosdeimos1's Doom 2 maps in Interception, what I experienced was always playable and had a certain uninhibited naive charm to it, but still would have benefited from feedback and polish. It's at times extremely rough, but shows promise, and it's a shame that we never got to see that raw potential get further iteration and refinement.

Greetings!

Category: 1 - Blind Run

Difficulty: Hurt Me Plenty

Episode 1: Survived in [Edit incoming with timer]

Episode 2: Survived in [Edit incoming with timer]

We had some fun playing it, but also significant raging moments. We're glad our voice wasn't recorded in this raw version's video xD

I think we'll work on a commentary version with "Best Moments" edit. The very first seconds of the video shows a "rebbot" of the first level, but that's only because we launched the map while we forgot to tune the GZDOOM mechanics. We did not play anything beforehand. And I think that still shows.

Sonia and I finished playing the 2nd episode towards 6 in the morning where we live. So Sonia's attention wasn't at its best.

I hope you enjoy seeing us raging at some points (you clearly can see it through the movements of the DOOMGuy haha)

Cheers!

A thank you to everyone who came out and challenged themselves against PhobosDeimos Anomaly. We'll be back next month for another challenge, and I hope to see everyone back. And the next time we get back together, bring a few friends to the party.

Without further ado, here are the standings for this month's IronEagle.

UV

1. Luleta (2 survivals)
  2. Horus (2 survivals)
  3. Maribo (2 survivals)
  4. NaZa (2 survivals)
  5. NoisyVelvet (2 survivals)
  6. Suitepee (2 survivals)
  7. dt_ (1 survival + E1M5 = 11 levels)
  8. LadyMistDragon (1 survival + E2M3 = 9 levels)
  9. head_cannon (E1M3 + E2M1 = 2 levels)

HMP

1. Zhaojue (2 survivals)
  2. SCF (1 survival + E2M2 = 8 levels)

HNTR

1. Pegleg (2 survivals)
  2. Andromeda (E1M5 + E2M1 = 4 levels)
Edited by Pegleg : Removed blank #10 for UV list.