Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2022 - The month-long mapping challenge!

I didn't manage to make anything at all for this, so feel free to remove me from the list on page 1. Looking forward to playing what everyone built!

Might not complete the whole thing in time, but the finish line is not far away. I'm doing just fine.

Screenshot_Doom_20221029_030822.png

Here is my work for the month;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmc6sd76mgwej2z/NODM.zip?dl=0

MMqSIEO.png   

Name - Night on Doom Mountain

Map01 (Includes a stop map in the Map02 slot)

Compatibility - Boom (Complevel 9)

Tested in DSDA Doom

Difficulties - Included - HMP is recommended for a first playthrough. Both HMP and UV have the same monster placement/composition, but HMP gives you the big weapons earlier and replaces some items to allow for more mistakes. HNTR is implemented but untested.

Co-op/deathmatch - Nothing done for these

Credits in the spoiler below;

Spoiler

Palette: Green portion from Eviternity, red portion made by @Velvetic, blue portion from sdx7.wad along with COLORMAP (Taken from Capybara.wad).
Sky - Mechadon
Textures - 32in24-15tex.wad compiled and created by Esselfortium
Title music - Lov2.mid by Ribbiks
Intermission - Lov3.mid by Ribbiks
Map01 - Necrocosmic Alchemical Apparatus by AD_79
Map02 - Nightmarescape by Ribbiks

Monster changes

- Taken from the French community projects
Arachnotron : Araknight from Eriance's Hell-Forged
Mancubus : Corpulent from Eriance's Hell-Forged
Nightwatch Cacodemon : comes from Cacolord.wad (Author unknown)
Heresiarch : comes from Hexen and converted to the Doom palette.

- Other edits

Hell Knight reskin (Belphegor) - Carnevil
Toxicacodemon - Doomkid

Also cheers to Finnks13 for giving this a spin and reminding me to update my version of DSDAdoom. It has hopefully ironed out some of the kinks on this map.

This map takes inspiration from a piece of music by the Russian composer Modest Mussorgsky, which in itself got widespread publicity in the 1940 Disney feature Fantasia. The music was one part of two pieces in the final set piece of the film, being the odd child I was it was my favourite part of what became one of my favourite childhood films. The map takes inspiration from both the film and the poems that originally inspired the music piece in the first place.

The map is pretty big, and larger than what I would usually create (This will be 45-60 minutes for an FDA). After playing some rather inspirational wads recently, I wanted to create something that sucks the player fully into a different world and holds a firm grip from the first step to the end, Whether this actually holds true in reality is another matter of course. Whilst this was a solid 3 week effort, I can't really take too much credit, because in the end it is the efforts of others who created the palette/custom textures and monsters and midis that in my view give this wad the personality.

I hope that people will have fun with this, I enjoyed making it and heck, it is sort of Halloween themed…..

Spoiler

Also stars John Romero as Chernabog disguised as John Romero

Edited by cannonball : Fixed a monster composition issue

Howdy!

For reasons that only my friend and I can know, we've decided at the very last few days to head in a complete different direction.

Here's the new map. There are not many time left to finish it so it won't be for the NaNoWADMo. That said, what will be done still will be shared. I don't think that it will have a proper monster flow, so I guess I'll just put a random zombieman that triggers the end of the map x}

For those who will have something to show at the end of the month, I bid you my most positive energy!

Cheers!

Screenshot_Doom_20221030_032625.png

All i can accomplish for this year Nanowadmo is this little demo good for the spooky days, it's a mod based upon skeletons and bones and being bad to the bone:

Skeletonano (working title)

Spoiler

doom00.png?width=1017&height=572

doom01.png?width=1017&height=572

doom01.png?width=1083&height=609

doom02.png?width=1083&height=609

doom03.png?width=1083&height=609

doom00.png?width=1083&height=609

Maps: MAP13, MAP14, MAP15, MAP30, MAP31

Port: MBF21

New Graphics: Yes

New Music: Yes

New Sounds: Yes

DEH\BEX: Yes, still needs some small fixing works

Build time: 10 days gathering resources and doing some maps work

For now is just the intro\hub map, a normal map sets in a hell cave, a secret map of wonders, a test map and a  blocking room. Enjoy the ride, i will complete this thing one day or the other.

The final day is here! If anyone is rushing to cram in a bunch of work today (as I often do on the last day), please drink lots of water and remember all deadlines are made up!

The event isn't technically over yet but if you want to help out with the projects that are already playable, here are some mapsets you can check out and give feedback for. Give them some love:

@cannonball's Night on Doom Mountain

@Fidchell's The Gorge

@granggg's Containment

@Meowgi's Yum

@Norb's RandomLongMap

@Walter confetti's Skeletonano

Sorry, no map from me this year. I ended up being really busy with IRL stuff.

So here's a beta test version my Hexen two map ZDoom compatible wad since I ran out of time to make more due to having the flu for the past couple of days :\

Some feedback would be great as next version will be the final release once I feel completely better :)

Spoiler

Screenshot_419.png.0a9f03f20cd79ab143a3718a082634c4.png

Screenshot_422.png.2381eb8050cde4335c59ce2d2aad830f.png

Edited by Philnemba : Final version release

I ended up not making much for this year's NanoWADmo, just wasn't in the cards for me with everything going on. It sucks, too, but alas, life does have its priorities. Great job on everyone who participated! Hopefully I'll have my project done next year to join yall! :D

I think I have to bail out for this one.

I don't have anything in a satisfying state and I would technically only have 33 minutes left to do something.

Congratulations for those who managed to make something worth sharing and I bid courage to all the other. We'll get something next time!

Cheers!

dqBJhj8.png

<<<DOWNLOAD MACHETE SUPER BETA WORK IN PROGRESS>>>

Here's what I've been working on for the past month. 25 Boom compatible levels (Complevel 9). Secret levels not included.

I planned on making this a full 32 megawad, but lost steam towards the end of the month. It'll be done when it's donetm.

Difficulty levels not yet implemented. Designed for pistol starting (continuous play is fine though :v).

Any Boom source port should work fine (I tested everything primarily in Nugget Doom).

--Credits n Shit--

Spoiler

Uses jimmytex as the base wad. Other texture edits were done by myself.

HUD taken from Valiant: Vaccinated Edition

Skyboxes from Mek's Box 'o Skies!

Featuring music by James Paddock, Maxime Tondreau, Sam Woodman, Brayden Hart, Robert Prince, Paul Corfiatis, Jeremy Doyle, Lee Jackson, Bobby Prince, Stuart Rynn, Bucket, Eris Falling, and L.A. Sieben

This credits list will be expanded upon later at full release.

Special thanks to @finnks13 and joe-ilya for beta playtesting in the discord server. 

Managed to get 32 maps done in the month!

This was great fun! I learned a lot and I'm happy to know that I'm able to get this much done in a month!

I'm never ever doing something of this caliber again!

Didn't spend as much time on this as I hoped as such monsters and resources are placed haphazardly and had limited testing

Spoiler

hekla.png.cd2e73cdeeb7299c68490b538e850713.png

format: DEH-Extra (boom+)

New Graphics, Music, Sounds and monsters.

Required Resource

Maps

Hekla

Waypont Manor

Edited by Blue Phoenix : changed port to format

I'm simply blown away by all the incredible work everyone was able to do for this year's NaNoWADMo. Really great stuff across the board for both finished projects and those that've made a brilliant start. This activity is always fun to watch from the sidelines. :^)

Ok. So, the wad is not complete but here it is anyways. Playtesting is highly appreciated.

Wad Name: Place Unknown
Port Tested: GZDoom (UDMF)
MAP01: Abandoned [Complete (Exit to MAP04)]
MAP04: Elevator Malfunction [Incomplete (Planned to have more areas but it is completable) (Exit to MAP31)]

MAP31: Slaugh [Complete (Semi-jokey)]

Screenshot (No Slaugh to not ruin the surprise):

Spoiler

zYeWWyx.png

oWqvQC0.png

OqFDkNx.png

NLybBv2.png

oavqvMF.png

1uNGgpI.png

Z9HGlnk.png

POxc1VP.png

5-11-2022 Fixed Map04 being only HMP accessible by now being only UV accessible. Also, some big tweaks in perched enemies in MAP01 going through the 3d floors.

6-11-2022 Last update broke some things and this is a fix to that along with the things included in last update.
Download:

Spoiler

Most credits present inside the pk3

Edited by SuyaSS

I don't plan on releasing my mapset just yet as I only have three maps currently finished( and I'm taking a break from this mapset due to a unfortunate block), so have some screenshots for now. I'll do my best to release this as soon as possible, but I want to make at least two more maps for it. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Spoiler

S6lkx0E.png

gEisUWP.png

Spoiler

4lkQ0cG.png

oukUCX1.png

0eB0dCx.png

October has come to a close in all time zones, which means another NaNoWADMo is at an end! Thank you so much to everyone who participated this year and all previous years. Gosh, five whole years!

I'll include links to everyone's projects on the first page of this thread so they can be found easily. They'll get added as I see them, so keep posting your work, whatever state it's in. Feedback can be helpful at any stage of development. And if I miss your project, just give me a poke.

Ok, I was able to get demos recorded for @granggg and @cannonball's maps.

First Containment Center is decent for a first effort. Although, as you'll see when I discover the plasma rifle first, the way forward behind the blue door isn't so obvious.

Now Night on Doom Mountain.....this is definitely something that should probably be named as a Cacoward runner-up at least because firstly, I think Matt must also be a 180PV fan, and also, the musical choice and aesthetic sense that reminded me of something like Nameless, combined with the unrelenting assault, was just so good. Like it's not exactly going to top Miasma and maps like that, but this is excellent for what it is. I did have to stop at a certain point because while I'd rewinded probably 4-5 times, mostly because of Nightmare Cacos, although also because of an Arch-vile in at least one case, it seemed I experienced what I needed to, climatic final battles excepting. Sorry, I think texture misalignment is a bit overrated when it comes to natural environments so I won't be pointing anything unless it's massively egregious.

lmd_nightmt.zip

lmd_contain.zip

Don't have a lot to show this NaNo... yet. You'll see what I was working on in the following weeks. Once again this has been a lot of fun to participate and dedicate some time just mapping and modding.

Here's mine, in the state it's in. I'll be updating this until there's nothing broken, but this was mainly me learning udb / slade / whacked so I kinda like how janky some of it is.

I want to have something to show as the October concludes, so I'm currently trying to assemble a 3-level demo! Just a bit more bugfixing. The full version won't be far away... (for what it's worth, I also intend to finish 2021's Dawn Of The Arrow someday, but that ended up being a rather ambitious project full of fancy semi-realistic maps, so it might take a while!)

Due to my piss poor time management, i have nothing to contribute to this NaNoWADMo so far, so take my name away.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:24 PM, Blue Phoenix said:

Didn't spend as much time on this as I hoped as such monsters and resources are placed haphazardly and had limited testing

Reveal hidden contents

hekla.png.cd2e73cdeeb7299c68490b538e850713.png

Port: DEH-Extra

New Graphics, Music, Sounds and monsters.

Required Resource

Maps

Hekla

Waypont Manor

Well, I played this. Neat use of custom (oftentime blue, lol) textures. I died a couple of times in the Hekla map, once to an Arachnotron after getting hit several times, and once to the Arch-vile here that appears out of nowhere. Are you going to do more work on these?

lmd_hekla.zip

Very late, but here is my project for NaNoWADMo 2022:

Operation: October

Maps: 2/10

Port: Vanilla compatible

Tested with: Chocolate-Doom and Prboom-plus

Notes: It's not a set designed for jump. Freelook is ok, but switches and other elements are designed with vanilla behavior in mind.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

map01.png.2edf7fb1675c411f61978ea2bd190bfe.png

map01-2.png.c3d1af4b70e030da933ac6f0279bb292.png

map02-1.png.f427c49dabd96d084ff19287c1ab0d14.png

map02-2.png.f322b1cea4349b247d147d1c0425deb0.png

octobersd_v1.zip

This is WIP and my intention is a full release until December.