Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Legatron17

PrBoom+ multiplayer issues

So I decided to try out PrBoom+'s multiplayer feature, and I don't really have any problems with it except for one; the awful lag.

I started the server with a .bat file containing these parameters: "prboom-plus-game-server.exe -N 1 -l 01 -s 4" (-N 1 meaning that only 1 player has to join to start the game)

And joined myself using these parameters: "prboom-plus.exe -iwad DOOM2 -net 192.168.x.x" (I obviously replaced the Xs with my correct IPv4 address)

This way, the game would start with me being the only one on the server, but the long-term goal was to play with multiple people later on after I figured everything out.

Unfortunately, even with me being the only on the server, the game lagged for me like crazy, it felt like I was playing at 20 fps. I am talking about mouse lag, movement lag, enemy lag, and perhaps most surprisingly, extreme automap lag (like, what???). I have a pretty good internet connection, and even ran my own Minecraft server with 4 players connected all around my country, including myself, without experiencing any lag whatsoever. I also tried out really big and usually laggy maps like Eviternity Map 26, but the lag was not worse, instead it was exactly the same as in Doom 2 Map 01, so the map it's running on has nothing to do with the lag. This leads me to the conclusion that it's PrBoom+ itself that is causing problems.

So, what gives? Is PrBoom+ forcing lower FPS when running a multiplayer game? Perhaps it is capping the amount of packets that it sends out?

And the most important question of all, is there any way to run a PrBoom+ server with multiple players experiencing smooth, 60 FPS gameplay?

Would be awesome if someone could help me out, thanks in advance!

The multiplayer code in PRBoom+ probably hasn't been touched in ages. Not a great port to use for multiplayer as it stands, although it should be IMO.