Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

What do you think of this animation comedy from my country?

This isn't something to boost youtube views, it has plenty as is.  I feel kind of cringey about it.  Someone on another forum said "honestly made me think of Republicans’ stereotype of inner-city Black people gaming our welfare system. So I figure it’ll hold up anywhere some people are accused, rightly or wrongly, of cheating the government."  We have people in Europe in this forum, what do you guys think of it? 

Someone on another forum said "honestly made me think of Republicans’ stereotype of inner-city Black people gaming our welfare system.

Can you leave this kind of race-baiting bullshit on whatever forum you found it on? The cartoon depicts a very real thing that happens and isn't particularly offensive or funny.

3 minutes ago, dasho said:

Can you leave this kind of race-baiting bullshit on whatever forum you found it on? The cartoon depicts a very real thing that happens and isn't particularly offensive or funny.

Maybe this one doesn't depict a very real thing and can be laughed at?  The author just said that Darren could have done ok in school but Damo held him back.  Btw the train station is extremely true to life. 

I really don't get your angle here, Invictus. Michael Cusack's cartoons are just silly videos poking fun at the Aussie bogan stereotype for laughs. What is there to talk about?

Just now, Biodegradable said:

I really don't get your angle here, Invictus. Michael Cusack's cartoons are just silly videos poking fun at the Aussie bogan stereotype for laughs. What is there to talk about?

Do many people in the u.s and europe know about that stereotype though?  I'm used to people finding that aspect of the culture as unrelatable.

In my experience most non-Aussies still think we drink Fosters beer and are convinced that the entire country is a desert, so I'm willing to bet the answer is, "No".

7 hours ago, invictius said:

This isn't something to boost youtube views, it has plenty as is.  I feel kind of cringey about it.  Someone on another forum said "honestly made me think of Republicans’ stereotype of inner-city Black people gaming our welfare system. So I figure it’ll hold up anywhere some people are accused, rightly or wrongly, of cheating the government."  We have people in Europe in this forum, what do you guys think of it? 

I mainly know Cusack for Smiling Friends, but I haven't actually seen any of his own animations till now. Interesting.

my guy (or gal), you should probably remove this r/okbuddyretard-level political shit. it won't end well.

10 hours ago, invictius said:

I feel kind of cringey about it...  what do you guys think of it? 

It's an overused joke with an Australian coat of paint. Who cares?

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

In my experience most non-Aussies still think we drink Fosters beer and are convinced that the entire country is a desert, so I'm willing to bet the answer is, "No".

As a non-Aussie:

• I don't know if you drink Fosters beer (The brand does not exist here. Is it like Bud for America?)
  • The stereotype of the desert is indeed a real one, but the same can be said about our windmills and roses.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

The stereotype of the desert is indeed a real one, but the same can be said about our windmills and roses.

I thought those were tulips, i believed the wrong stereotype all along. 

Just now, Solmyr said:

I thought those were tulips, i believed the wrong stereotype all along. 

And you would be right.

Turns out i don't even know my nations own stereotypes. What a anti-patriot.

There are plenty of ill-behaved bogans in Australia who abuse Centrelink, but the vast majority of people who benefit from it are not ill-behaved bogans. Dunno what else there is to say really, I don't think they were made to spark a political debate and even if they were, this isn't the place to have it. It's not that deep ultimately, and I thought the cartoons were entertaining enough.

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

As a non-Aussie:

• I don't know if you drink Fosters beer (The brand does not exist here. Is it like Bud for America?)

Fosters was a popular beer down here a thousand years ago, but we sold it to Europe back in the 1970s. The first time I ever saw a can of Fosters was when I went to France!

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

Fosters was a popular beer down here a thousand years ago, but we sold it to Europe back in the 1970s. The first time I ever saw a can of Fosters was when I went to France!

I mean, to be fair their entire ad-campaign in the US, when I still saw ads for it back in the 90's and 2000's was "Foster's: Australian for beer". So it's kind of understandable how most people view Foster's as Australia's lager, although it seems most Australians haven't actually seen a can for decades. And also to be fair, aside from the eastern coast, most of Australia is a brush desert. 

Regardless, the cartoons aren't really offensive in any way shape or form. And they aren't funny in any way shape or form. It's just a "hurr durr, sometimes people abuse the welfare system, isn't it funny?" kind of non-humor. Yes, we all know that people exist that take advantage of welfare, even though the vast majority of people on welfare genuinely do need it for a myriad of reasons. But I can't imagine anyone being upset by a cartoon making fun of people who legitimately abuse a social safety system; wouldn't you want those people to be the subject of fun? I don't think anyone supports people ripping off a legitimately necessary social safety net.

No, the problem with these cartoons isn't that they're offensive in any way. The problem is that they're such a soft pitch attempt at comedy without any real hook, cleverness, or any halfway thoughtful attempt made in the writing. Coupled with the lazy animation that looks like it belongs on Newgrounds back in 2001, they're just crap. The greatest offense they should cause a person is that they wasted a few minutes of their life watching absolute pap. 

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Fosters is... not a favourite of mine.