Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonikkumania

Things about Doom you still don't understand

11 minutes ago, heliumlamb said:

related: how does a caco open any door they can without any arms?

Doom is a video game.

6 hours ago, Lucius Wooding said:

you defeated the threat to the Mars base (which was where E3 took place).

Ummm, no it didn’t. They are very clear that E3 takes place in Hell.

5 hours ago, heliumlamb said:

The same way you do without letting go of your weapons.

5 hours ago, heliumlamb said:

They bite them.

41 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Ummm, no it didn’t. They are very clear that E3 takes place in Hell.

Correct. It's:

E1 - Phobos

E2 - Deimos, but in Hell, not in our Solar system

E3 - Hell (you jump down to the surface from Deimos, which is floating above it).

E4 - Earth

1 minute ago, Ghostly_Pops said:

How the hell does Doom connect to Wolfenstein 

Not only are both games made by Id, but Doomguy and BJ Blazkowicz (And also Commander Keen) are directly related to one another.

3 minutes ago, Ghostly_Pops said:

How the hell does Doom connect to Wolfenstein 

Your third word.

11 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

He’s probably referencing the fact that the Doom II manual describes you as a Marine who fought the Demonic outbreak on Mars, not a Marine who fought the Demonic outbreak on Phobos and then Deimos and then went to Hell and then got spat back out of Hell onto Earth.

I see, but that contradicts the previous game manual which states that Doomguy and his squadmates that died on the rescue mission to Phobos were the only marines in 50 million miles from Earth. Well, doesn't matter just story filler stuff.

Edited by Solmyr

Somehow I can't really get the hang of Archvile Jumping. I assume as long as I keep practicing it'll come to me eventually.

8 hours ago, heliumlamb said:

By giving the door switch a kiss

10 hours ago, Skittle said:

Somehow I can't really get the hang of Archvile Jumping. I assume as long as I keep practicing it'll come to me eventually.

prior momentum and direction are vital.
i don't like doing it in game for personal reasons (rather have those bitches gone than take intentional hits), but i do know because i like pressing "v" in chocolate render limits.

????????????
rNAM9kM.png
???????????????

|   |                       |
|   |_______________________|
|   |                       |
|___|_______________________|

1 hour ago, Sonikkumania said:

What exactly is the BLAKWAL texture meant to be? A scyscraper window? A wall? Some hi tech decoration?

Don't know, but I live in Dallas and there are buildings with windows like that. There's also the black cube building in Mesquite, which is the former HQ of id. 

What’s the difference between tics and frames per second?

Something I really never understood 

3 hours ago, D0M0 said:

What’s the difference between tics and frames per second?

Something I really never understood 

The technical answer is a tic is a logical frame while FPS is how many visual frames the game draws per second. For vanilla doom, these are typically identical and both capped to 35hz, though a drop in performance will skip frames, but you never skip tics. Modern ports have rendering interpolation so you can have a higher FPS than tic rate, which is still locked to 35hz.

The game only performs actions on tics, but frames are what's presented to you.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:11 AM, heliumlamb said:

Did you never open a Door with your Feet or your Head?

Oh, or even your Butt :D? (seriously, i did it all)

What I don't understand is the seemingly recent fixation people have on the canon of Doom. Just play Doom, kill the monsters, find the secrets, what else really matters here? Play the WADs you want and have fun, who cares what's canon? Could have been something that's been around a while, but it's something I've only really noticed recently.

Why there book in sewer from plutonia?

Useless question.

Why most soldier are weak compared to doomguy in this game?

On 10/27/2022 at 11:49 PM, Ozcar said:

Why most soldier are weak compared to doomguy in this game?

Cuz they’re dead.

How people (other than nostalgists, I understand them) manage to enjoy TNT: Evilution. It's actually one of the most unfun WADs I've ever played. I get that it's the mid-90s and most of the stuff from that time period sucks, but there are several WADs from the same time period which are infinitely better.

I'm still trying to understand how mouse aim (not freelook) in Woof and Crispy Doom feels "off" after playing with GZ/LZDoom for so long. I know it may have to do with software vs OpenGL rendering, with some but not all sourceports specifically addressing software y-shearing, and the fact that GZDoom is less of a Doom sourceport and more of a game engine that happens to run Doom. I may also just need to replace my mouse.

On 10/28/2022 at 6:49 AM, Ozcar said:

Why there book in sewer from plutonia?

Maybe it wasn't always a sewer.

What the hell are Doomguy's gloves meant to be? I presume somekind of military issue wear but they always look like those rubber gloves that you put on to do the dishes, or then some sort of garden gloves. I still don't understand those gloves, lol.

I never understood why John Carmack didnt add right scroll texture action and only added left scrolling. In Heretic there are left and right scroll. I saw it always curious that.

2 minutes ago, HERRGOTT said:

I never understood why John Carmack didnt add right scroll texture action and only added left scrolling. In Heretic there are left and right scroll. I saw it always curious that.

Because they didn't need anything to scroll right. It wasn't really John Carmack's job either, the way it worked is the level designers (though mainly Romero) would just add the code themselves for the actions they needed on a case by case basis.

You could also simply make a series of 1px wide linedefs with progressive offsets on each one and they'd have the same effect as scrolling right. Couldn't be simpler.