Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Inferno

Sound overflow in large maps (cl 9)

When the map size gets quite big (around 25k x 25k in my experience) then in certain spots of the map you can start hearing monster (and other) noises which are extremely far away. 

Here's an example map showing what I mean: sound_test.zip, if you shoot from the starting position you'll hear some distant revs waking up.

The positioning of the sound overflow spots doesn't make any sense so I'd like to know how exactly this works and what I need to do to avoid that from happening in playable areas. 

edit: decino told me that this happens when the (approximate) distance between the listener and the source exceeds 32,767 units

Edited by El Inferno

I had this happen to me when making Alpha Major when the map size was like 35k by 20k, very strange stuff. Also had monsters walking through impassable lines lol. I don't know how to solve it though besides just making the map smaller, but knowing how you map that probably isn't an option :)

28 minutes ago, KineticBeverage said:

I had this happen to me when making Alpha Major when the map size was like 35k by 20k, very strange stuff. Also had monsters walking through impassable lines lol. I don't know how to solve it though besides just making the map smaller, but knowing how you map that probably isn't an option :)

decino says this is a blockmap limit. 

5 minutes ago, David Asaad said:

decino says this is a blockmap limit. 

Monsters passing through impassable lines is indeed due to the blockmap limitations. But this sound bug has nothing to do with the blockmap as I'm pretty sure my example map fits within the blockmap limit.