Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
act

Any good WADs for Halloween 2022?

Title has everything the post should comprise of, but for the sake of discussion, I'd also like to pose a question that I think would be useful to WAD developers that create any seasonal WADs in the future, what makes the WAD good in the sense of being a Halloween WAD?

A wad that emulates Doom 64 or PSX with a lot of dark areas and use of spectres Is enough to or scaring the all shit up or annoying you AF.

Or Impse, that thing is really terrifying.

I can't speak on the newer stuff but I've got a soft spot for the oldies. One mod that always has to be mentioned whenever the subject of wads for Halloween comes up is definitely Zombies TC, a bit dated now but it's an absolute blast. It's got so much personality and it's the quintessential spooky mod as far as I'm concerned. Another notable and obligatory mention would be the Ghoul's Forest series (anyone remember these?), more floating skeleton heads than you can shake an SSG at. Very cheesy and played-out but it's hard not to love.

As for what constitutes a good Halloween wad, anything that goes out of its way and dedicates itself completely to either being a horror mod or strictly seasonal appeals to me above all else. There's just something so charming about a wad that knows exactly what it is and makes no mistake about what its purpose is. Gotta embrace being the yearly Charlie Brown cartoon special of Doom modding.

Edited by MarsHappyNation

1 hour ago, MarsHappyNation said:

I can't speak on the newer stuff but I've got a soft spot for the oldies. One mod that always has to be mentioned whenever the subject of wads for Halloween comes up is definitely Zombies TC, a bit dated now but it's an absolute blast. It's got so much personality and it's the quintessential spooky mod as far as I'm concerned. Another notable and obligatory mention would be the Ghoul's Forest series (anyone remember these?), more floating skeleton heads than you can shake an SSG at. Very cheesy and played-out but it's hard not to love.

As for what constitutes a good Halloween wad, anything that goes out of its way and dedicates itself completely to either being a horror mod or strictly seasonal appeals to me above all else. There's just something so charming about a wad that knows exactly what it is and makes no mistake about what its purpose is. Gotta embrace being the yearly Charlie Brown cartoon special of Doom modding.

Yeah actually, I really do think that mantra of going full Halloween and not pulling any punches is a great way to really drive home the Halloween feel. It's not something that can be done lightly, most stops need to be pulled out.

Vicarious by ZeMystic is a great wad for the fall season, though nothing explicitly screams Halloween. Just a nice medieval autumn atmosphere and plenty of skeleton fights.

Trick and Tear 2. You might find a few maps which misfire completely, but it nails the vibe much better than something that basically exists to be Halloween-themed.

Trick and Tear 1 from 2021. A Halloween set with 9 maps.

Trick and Tear 2 from 2022. It features 18 maps from a variety of mappers. Custom Halloween monsters, some very atmospheric maps. Highly recommended (though bring some tan for all the archie flames that can get quite overwhelming in some maps).

Trick and Tear 3 will be released this year's Halloween. It is Zombie themed. Work on the project hasn't started yet (all mappers are welcome, keep an eye out for it in the first week of October!) but here's a sneakpeak of the resources in progress: