Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RastaManGames

[Community Project] Doomed Urbex (State Of 1st Beta Compilation)

Just now, RastaManGames said:

@Uni Musuotankarep, @DukeOfDoom shall you grab (at this point) opened slots №14 & №33?

Don't be scared off by these numbers.

After all, I guess that total amount of slots gonna be divided by 2 or even 3 (for sure) and before compilation we gonna re-arrange maps by enemies density.

I'll choose slot 14.

Started working on my map, centered around a failed evacuation site. There will also be a large TV tower and several minor apartments + overpass.

Pic_2.jpg

🔸 Map Name: "Industry Town"
🔸 Author: "Uni Musuotankarep"

🔸 Music: "War Zone : Batman Doom"

🔸 Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom

🔸 Difficulty Settings: Easy, Medium, Hard

🔹 Multiplayer Stuff: None at all!

🔹 Description: "You take a trip to your father's hometown, and as always, it's infested with hellspawn with some goodies as well. Make him proud and cheer for you!"

🔹 Notes: You will have to take cover and hide behind walls for some areas.

Download the map from Dropbox (you must supply it with a copy of the "RTPTex.wad" file)

Edited by Uni Musuotankarep : INCLUDE THE VIDEO AND DO NOT DITCH THE EVIDENCE!!!

@RastaManGames Sorry Rasta, I have to withdraw from my second slot on the project (MAP29).

I got a new PC recently so I was moving the files, the map was lost during the data transmission, worse of all, I already reset my old PC so I have no back up. 

As the deadline approaching, I don't think I can possibly remake it. 

@fai1025 Really sad news, mate... But nothing lost completely!

I mean... You made one very nice map that I've enjoyed to playtest!

Thank you for your contribution anyways! 🍜

@Uni Musuotankarep Wow, you are fast'n'furious! Gonna test your entry today when I get some free time! 💪🏻

Edited by RastaManGames

As about deadline... Are we gonna make it till the end of 2022 or we need more time?

I mean... There is few ideas that I've not realized in this CP (at least, mall and airport (along with unfinished train)).

So... What we gonna do?..

And I am not sure that lesser than one month (not to mention holidays in the very end of the December) - is right amount of time for someone to finish their entry, after all.

Edited by RastaManGames

@Uni Musuotankarep Thanks you for your nice contribution!

Here is my attempt on UV:

A fun exploration map with no overusing of sloggish enemies.

Design is simple, but pleasant for sight.

It was short and sweet at the same time.

Only one sad thought appeared in my head while playing: "It is kinda empty over here?"

I mean... This is industrial zone, sure, but these places looks kinda sad due to emptiness:

Spoiler

1192535494_.png.711753dfabadecfa634c89c44f66bd2d.png

Maybe it is intentional, but I think that something like decorative factories with pipes can be here just to fill big empty areas.

Overall, this is good map. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

@Uni Musuotankarep Thanks you for your nice contribution!

Here is my attempt on UV:

A fun exploration map with no overusing of sloggish enemies.

Design is simple, but pleasant for sight.

It was short and sweet at the same time.

Only one sad thought appeared in my head while playing: "It is kinda empty over here?"

I mean... This is industrial zone, sure, but these places looks kinda sad due to emptiness:

Hide contents

1192535494_.png.711753dfabadecfa634c89c44f66bd2d.png

Maybe it is intentional, but I think that something like decorative factories with pipes can be here just to fill big empty areas.

Overall, this is good map. Thank you.

I do appreciate your review, and I also might make an expanded version.

On 11/25/2022 at 11:55 AM, RastaManGames said:

And... So many slots that is taken, but I don't hear any news from many of these Doomers... What should I do?..

Hey Rasta,

sorry for the silence. and making you feel that way. My map is nearing completion. I just need to do a bit more level design and monster placement then it should be...maybe not done but at least playable for a start. As you know, I had to rewrtie everything and start from scratch midway because my original idea was too ambitious for doom. I will post some screenshots once I am home again.

P.S. Are we allowed to add custom decorations? If yes, could someone show me how you do it in this mapping format?

22 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

As about deadline... Are we gonna make it till the end of 2022 or we need more time?

I mean... There is few ideas that I've not realized in this CP (at least, mall and airport (along with unfinished train)).

So... What we gonna do?..

And I am not sure that lesser than one month (not to mention holidays in the very end of the December) - is right amount of time for someone to finish their entry, after all.

I'd say we make it a 2 parter. Part one (Map01-Map15) should come out by the end of 2022. The rest in early 2023

Hi, I'm still working on my map. I hope to finish on time but I may need longer. Building a city map seems a bit more of a challenge than regular maps but I think my concept I'm aiming for is a good one so I want to do it justice.

@EPICALLL - firstevercpcontribution.zip Not too bad, few spoilered comments

Spoiler

Difficulty curve felt strange, the opening is a bit brutal with the Revenant and just a horde of shotgunners but got through that, however the upcoming Arch Vile in a box trap is telegraphed because the box is a little too small and its hands and head sticks out, if you want to really put the shits up the player think about releasing it later (when there's more corpses on the street and when they have more than a shotgun and a chaingun, although the amount of corners makes the fight possible).

After the 4 pillar room with the red key (where I died a few times) however the difficulty flattened out dramatically, the two barrons protecting the yellow key could just be shotgunned safely from the stairs with the amount of shells I had without needing the plasma gun at all (if you want to be evil about it maybe pop open a monster closet in the wall above the stairs with something in to harry the player there as well, or make the stairs big enough they can walk up them and aren't trapped at the bottom and think about releasing something from the top down as well maybe?), and the yellow key building is a few low level monsters and one baron who's trapped there so can just be shotgunned to bits safely from the doorway as well. 

The pillers with the shootable button near the end is a fun little sequence but are a little thick which stops the monsters being able to do much and makes them easy to pick off with a shotgun and just ducking behind a wall.  I kept expecting something to come and make my day bad before I hit the ending but yeah, it was smooth sailing once I'd gotten out of the red-key room.

Also your lava moat around the outside of the map appears to not cause damage (Gzdoom 4.8.2) and has no teleporter back up meaning if you fall off you're trapped without death.

Edited by SleepyCat : failed to actually leave enough quote in to tag someone

@Silhouette 03 - "Suburban Nightmare"  Nice sprawling map, few comments as usual in spoiler :)

Spoiler

Felt like a lot of shotgun, just a lot of shotgun with getting the chaingun later in the map.  I got 3/4 secrets so I maybe missed something?  But maybe a little more weapon variation?

Some of the barred doors felt fiddly to manipulate and took multiple use pushes to activate, the first set were on button so came up easy so I was primed to expect buttons later then had to use on the bars and sometimes that failed leaving me running around in circles.

Unexpected shoot button was a nice little part of a trap (in the centre behind the red pillars), and the green grassy area that drops you into a hole with chaingunners and demons was also a nice little ambush.

There were some dark corridors I couldn't go into (tunnels and so forth) which were flagged impassable but looked very passable on the map, maybe think about barriers or hazard tape or something to indicate what is an impassable tunnel clearly visually, also the instant death pit of just generic brown water felt a little unexpected, no warning signs, just looked like there might be something down there so I wasn't expecting to die.

The 2 arch-viles and some revenants fight felt like a very solid arena, I'd have liked to have something a little more punchy in terms of weapons to take them on but it was possible, and after this the difficulty curve flattened off and everything was a smooth coast to the ending, if this fight came later (the second time you come into the room) it could feel more climatic.

Overall fun sprawling map, maybe add a few different weapons or a few different types of monster.

Edited by SleepyCat

@Uni Musuotankarep  "Industry Town"   Murdered my way through some buildings and had fun, so lets talk about that :)

Spoiler

Flow was mostly good, sometimes I wasn't quite sure where to go next but knew I'd probably have to loop around and look for a building that opened up next so was all good.

In the Red key building the hell knight is trapped at the top of the stairs by their width, making it relatively easy to take them out without any trouble.  The final building fight was nice, the use of the pain elemental with stuff before it gave it a chance to spit out some lost souls before I could take it out, the rest of the monsters in the building were trapped behind explosive barrels (making them largely killed by a single shotgun blast around a corner) or trapped in the exit room (where I just pumped a few rockets in the door and finished them off).

I wasn't actually expecting that button to end it, it didn't seem to be flagged as an exit, and there was one more building (bottom left) that was sealed up throughout the map so I expected that button to open that and let me into there to find the exit.  Also the scale of the outside and the excellent cover of the middle little raised area kept me thinking I was going to get ambushed by something out there which would require a lot of running away from, but mostly the monsters were easily penned into buildings after a brief opening, so if you want to be more evil I guess teleport a few little groups of something in outside at a couple of points?

Nice little map, good architecture, fun and varied buildings to explore :)

Edited by SleepyCat : failed to actually leave enough quote in to tag someone

@SleepyCat Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate that you took the time to play my map, and that you liked it. I'm still a novice mapper, so people liking my maps is a big win for me :D

- There is a SSG given twice, first in the area with the hole in the floor and after you enter the city area. Is that what you were referring to? I can't really give a stronger weapon as I don't want the player to mow down enemies, but maybe I can add a plasma gun in the penultimate fight/ambush in the warehouse. The map is a bit easy as is, at least according to my playtester's video footage. Let me know if you feel differently in regards to difficulty.

- Regarding the bar doors, I'm not sure what to do there. I made it so it would unlock once you press a certain bar. I can probably change it so multiple bars can be pressed if it is a huge issue since you're the second person to point that out.

- I'm glad you liked that ambush. It took me a while to get it working, since I'm new to mass teleport traps XD

- I'll add some barriers to communicate that you can't enter some of the tunnels. I'm not sure what to do about the death pit. Should I change the flat to nukage?

- I'm glad you liked that arena. There's actually a second fight that takes place there, which I personally felt was a nice climax to the fight. The fight near the exit door was more of a breather encounter in my eyes.

If you have any suggestions on what I should do or any more changes I should make, please feel free to DM me. I just don't want to take over this thread :P

Have a good day!

7 hours ago, SleepyCat said:

@EPICALLL - firstevercpcontribution.zip Not too bad, few spoilered comments

Hide contents

Difficulty curve felt strange, the opening is a bit brutal with the Revenant and just a horde of shotgunners but got through that, however the upcoming Arch Vile in a box trap is telegraphed because the box is a little too small and its hands and head sticks out, if you want to really put the shits up the player think about releasing it later (when there's more corpses on the street and when they have more than a shotgun and a chaingun, although the amount of corners makes the fight possible).

After the 4 pillar room with the red key (where I died a few times) however the difficulty flattened out dramatically, the two barrons protecting the yellow key could just be shotgunned safely from the stairs with the amount of shells I had without needing the plasma gun at all (if you want to be evil about it maybe pop open a monster closet in the wall above the stairs with something in to harry the player there as well, or make the stairs big enough they can walk up them and aren't trapped at the bottom and think about releasing something from the top down as well maybe?), and the yellow key building is a few low level monsters and one baron who's trapped there so can just be shotgunned to bits safely from the doorway as well. 

The pillers with the shootable button near the end is a fun little sequence but are a little thick which stops the monsters being able to do much and makes them easy to pick off with a shotgun and just ducking behind a wall.  I kept expecting something to come and make my day bad before I hit the ending but yeah, it was smooth sailing once I'd gotten out of the red-key room.

Also your lava moat around the outside of the map appears to not cause damage (Gzdoom 4.8.2) and has no teleporter back up meaning if you fall off you're trapped without death.

It's specifically made for DSDA-Doom, so technical errors are to be expected when you're not playing on the intended source port.

32 minutes ago, EPICALLL said:

It's specifically made for DSDA-Doom, so technical errors are to be expected when you're not playing on the intended source port.

Effect also occurs in DSDA-Doom 0.24.2

Spoiler

doom06.png.d53f01aa0ad83cddd5ad91f8fa761c5e.png

Looking down towards the front of the box you can also see the top of the Arch Viles head.

2 hours ago, Silhouette 03 said:

@SleepyCat Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate that you took the time to play my map, and that you liked it. I'm still a novice mapper, so people liking my maps is a big win for me :D

- There is a SSG given twice, first in the area with the hole in the floor and after you enter the city area. Is that what you were referring to? I can't really give a stronger weapon as I don't want the player to mow down enemies, but maybe I can add a plasma gun in the penultimate fight/ambush in the warehouse. The map is a bit easy as is, at least according to my playtester's video footage. Let me know if you feel differently in regards to difficulty.

Sure but I think I was about 90ish monsters into a 120ish monster map from memory before I got a chaingun, so I got a SSG early and then basically the entire rest of the map was just hammering people in the face with it over and over again.

Handing out other weapons just a little bit, like as rewards for various fights can help, remember having a weapon is totally useless without ammo so you can dole out the guns as long as you're careful to restrict the ammunition and make the players work for it and pick and choose what to use when - so instead of just hundreds of shells everywhere like a few bullets or a couple of rockets or a handful of small cell packs.  I mean up to you at the end of the day, but a little variety can be spicy to give people more ability to pick and choose for fights - although it does make balancing tricky.

- Regarding the bar doors, I'm not sure what to do there. I made it so it would unlock once you press a certain bar. I can probably change it so multiple bars can be pressed if it is a huge issue since you're the second person to point that out.

I would suggest just making all the bars trip the effect?  That would in general be the convention I believe, effectively hiding a button that looks identical to all the other potential buttons may well confuse players.

Have a good day!

You too :)

Just to give an update. I'm working on my map!
I must say it's a big challenge to make this look like a city kind of vibe, but I think I can have it done before the end of the year. 1086824343_Ilustracin.jpg.59bd634d2e540be83d532a75e8f8d61f.jpg

Hey! This seems like a neat project, I've been really interested in MBF21 lately and I'd love to try it out. Could I get MAP29?

Updated my map Consumed Settlement. I felt that the lightning was a bit flat so I added shadows to building and walls. I also added more details in a few places that were a bit empty (factory, sewer and the underground cave). I also made the underground cave less dark. I didn't change any monsters, ammo or items placement. Finally I had some problems with the NodeBuilder (invisible walls in the factory) and had to change it, it made the map a lot lighter and hopefully any weird invisible walls are gone. If anyone find any problem, please feel free to tell me.

v2 :
----

+ Added some background details in the factory, sewer and cave parts of the map.
+ Added shadows and enhanced lightning
No monsters, ammo or items were changed.

Consumed Settlement v2.zip

I'm gonna have to drop out of this sadly, for whatever reason, any motivation I had to work on maps just completely left me, my submission isn't even remotely close to finished & the thought of opening UDB to work on maps is giving me a sense of dread & anxiety instead of the excitement it used to.

I'll be taking a break from mapping in general for some time most likely.  Looking forward to trying out everyone else's submissions when they're ready!

Update Nº2. I'm progressing fast now that I have the full map concept in my mind. So I'll have it done by the half of this month.
here's a new screenshot.
1526309150_Ilustracin2.jpg.effc039b487911064caa50e24177a5e2.jpg

Sorry for being offline for two or three days (maybe a little more)!
I've tried to take a deep breath and spontaneously almost made one weapon pack idea of which I had about year or more.

Let's take this by little steps... Shall we?

@OceanMadman Hey, lad! I updated resource wad with two added textures that you requested. Please download it and check it out!

@RED77 My dude! I am glad that your map starting to have solid layout! Thank you very much for your efforts!

@Dwimepon Don't be scared! If you can make a map - don't be shy! I will glad to take a look of it! I am assigning you for MAP29 for now.

@Shawn It is amazing that you are still maintaining your entry! Thanks for your hard work, mate!

@Rymante Sad to hear that, but this is OK. At least, you are informed me here and thanks for that. It is better than deadly silence.