Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RastaManGames

[Community Project] Doomed Urbex (State Of 1st Beta Compilation)

How's the between map connectivity from a map into next map?
Are they connected into each other like Blood and Strife?

should've asked sooner, but could i take over the 30 slot (if it's alright with @JBerg)? i've got something in mind for the telefrag mechanics

@Rykz I don't think so... Sorry. For now there is just various maps with its own start.

I mean... We even don't have some storyline after all.

Nice screenshots, by the way!

@akolai For now you have MAP06, but MAP30 doesn't must be a "Icon Of Sin" type of map.

If you want to make that kind of map... Then make it, I guess?
Only on compilation stage we gonna shuffle maps a bit (I have 2nd table with "enemies density" metrics for that).

@RastaManGames i have no plans to make an icon, i specifically need the map 30 slot to give all objects the ability to telefrag monsters and the player, like in sunlust map 30's secret cyber fight. i'm currently looking into other ways to get this effect, but haven't been able to get anything working in cl21. i wouldn't want to start working on it until i know i have the slot.

@akolai I don't mind, but before the very end of 2022 there is only 1.5 months left and (to be honest) I don't sure that we gonna have full-pledged megawad with 30+ maps...

I mean... We can make a "nextmap" just to MAP30 in the future, so you can start working on your entry, if you have will to it.

@RastaManGames
IT IS DONE!
Sorry for the absolute radio silence on the production of my map, frankly, I just didn't make that many efforts to get it done, and this was also only my second city map, plus my FIRST community project contribution. So, it might be a bit rough around the edges.
(I'm pretty sure) the map is already bound to the MAP18 slot, were it to end up there, I know they will be sorted (roughly) by difficulty, but having it in map18 might make organization a bit clearer.
It's compatible with four players, too.
Albeit, Deathmatch wasn't really considered... As the map doesn't make for too good of a deathmatch arena due to all of the more vertical stuff being inside the four buildings.
I forgot to give the map a name, but I think "Winter Contingency" would be a good, fitting name.
The total runtime is around about five minutes, give or take.
And difficulty-wise, it's just about on par with mount pain, it even has the same-ish survival elements as mount pain.
(I.E. You lose health, you're only getting a fraction of it back) So don't get hit!
Overall, I'm generally pleased with the final result.
While it certainly isn't my best work, it's far from my worst.
Maybe this will be played by some doomtuber. That would be interesting.
Anyways, enough rambling... Here's the map.
Also, in the room with the stairs and the barons, those barons used to be a cyberdemon, which was about as confusing of a fight as american politics.
So you can thank me for not giving the player a heart attack. XD

firstevercpcontribution.zip

Greetings. Is the slot for map 31 still open? I think I could get something done by the end of the year. I'm a pretty bad mapper though, so don't set your standards too high.

@EPICALLL I tried to give a spin to your map, but seems that there was few things that can be fixed:

🤜🏻 I guess that lava floor might be insta-killing. You can use "generalized action" to set this up. I mean, there is nothing useful down there, so it isn't worth to put here even teleporters (as for me). Or just made it dealing ~20 DMG or something. At this point, this lava floor doesn't dealing any DMG at all...

🤜🏻 This place (on the road) might be closed for further moving. It might be just middle texture or some debris. There isn't something special for player on the end of this road so... I think that there is no point to allowing player to even be on road after this point.

Spoiler

image.png.398ef61e3a06e55fb58fb16485c208b6.png

🤜🏻 Maybe add more ammo and health to main area (street)? Even two stimpacks with two 4x shotgun shells gonna be okay, I guess.

🤜🏻 Room with red keycard looks sad. I expected some ambush here. Damn, even 4 imps on the pillars can be good, but there is nothing.

🤜🏻 I can't get yellow keycard. For some reason, small area with three barons isn't lowering at all. Also I am not sure if three barons is okay. Don't forget that you have also HellKnights in your arsenal, that is just "thinner" Barons Of Hell.

🤜🏻 There is five monster closets in outside of the map that isn't working. Enemies going here & there, but can't use their teleports. Check out action lines anr/or their respective tags.

At least, please fix those things and then I can record a demo of my playthrough on UV. I think that this map is doable, but I've got soft-locked here...

10 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

@EPICALLL I tried to give a spin to your map, but seems that there was few things that can be fixed:

🤜🏻 I guess that lava floor might be insta-killing. You can use "generalized action" to set this up. I mean, there is nothing useful down there, so it isn't worth to put here even teleporters (as for me). Or just made it dealing ~20 DMG or something. At this point, this lava floor doesn't dealing any DMG at all...

🤜🏻 This place (on the road) might be closed for further moving. It might be just middle texture or some debris. There isn't something special for player on the end of this road so... I think that there is no point to allowing player to even be on road after this point.

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.398ef61e3a06e55fb58fb16485c208b6.png

🤜🏻 Maybe add more ammo and health to main area (street)? Even two stimpacks with two 4x shotgun shells gonna be okay, I guess.

🤜🏻 Room with red keycard looks sad. I expected some ambush here. Damn, even 4 imps on the pillars can be good, but there is nothing.

🤜🏻 I can't get yellow keycard. For some reason, small area with three barons isn't lowering at all. Also I am not sure if three barons is okay. Don't forget that you have also HellKnights in your arsenal, that is just "thinner" Barons Of Hell.

🤜🏻 There is five monster closets in outside of the map that isn't working. Enemies going here & there, but can't use their teleports. Check out action lines anr/or their respective tags.

At least, please fix those things and then I can record a demo of my playthrough on UV. I think that this map is doable, but I've got soft-locked here...

Are you sure the map is in the correct format?
Because not a single one of those (technical) issues were present while testing the map.
in terms of the more ammo and health thing, I never had an issue. Literally just get better at the game, as harsh as it may sound.

For record, i put it in MBF21 (Doom Format)
Although, I do guess I can add like some dirt or something in the yellow key area, to re-enforce the barren nature of the room.

Edit:
Fixed it... I think. It worked fine when I tested it, anyways.

firstevercpcontribution (maybe fixed).zip

Edited by EPICALLL

2 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

Are you sure the map is in the correct format?
Because not a single one of those (technical) issues were present while testing the map.

Yes. MBF21.

in terms of the more ammo and health thing, I never had an issue. Literally just get better at the game, as harsh as it may sound

I don't think that I've said that I had issues with them either. And I am not that bad at Doom. But this is you and me.

Now expect some Doomer with lower skill. It is that hard to you to put spare clips/shells with spare stimpacks to the area?

Also, I've never had any issues with health/ammo on my own maps either, but you know what? Many testers had.

Because you know your map very well doesn't mean that any other player must know it that good.

Edit:
Fixed it... I think. It worked fine when I tested it, anyways.

firstevercpcontribution (maybe fixed).zip

Okay. Gonna check it out today when I have free time for it.

Edited by RastaManGames

3 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

I don't think that I've said that I had issues with them either. And I am not that bad at Doom. But this is you and me.

Now expect some Doomer with lower skill. It is that hard to you to put spare clips/shells with spare stimpacks to the are?

Also, I've never had any issues with health/ammo on my own maps either, but you know what? Many testers had.

Because you know your map very well doesn't mean that any other player must know it that good.

Oh.
Apologies if that came off as rude.
Anyways, that's not the first time I've made my mistake.
But it is the first time I've made that mistake *this* way.
Anyways, as requested, here's about 20 health bonuses, and about 20 more shotgun shells. Hopefully that will help newer players.
Enjoy... I guess.

firstevercpcontribution.zip

@EPICALLL

Well... First of all, here is a playthrough by me in "DSDA-Doom":

I've checked out and yes, for some reasons, after updating this source-port, compatibility setting was changed to "Doom V2.1" and mouse-look was disabled too. Now all worked properly.

But I am still have some issues with supply. At least, with HP. I mean, room with four pillars is kinda overkill, but doable. I mostly died on ~2% of HP due to horde of Chaingunners outside of building. Don't mind me wrong, but you can put in the lair of three Barons of Hell maybe two poor stimpacks? It isn't too much and can give a smile to almost dead player...

And... I have poor suggestion about secrets. Your map has none of it. And I still can (for some reason) go to the far end of this road. Why there isn't something special here? Here I made some "solution" for this area, since you are not blocking players from going there:

Spoiler

Here is the place I am talking about:

image.png.65316d77c44e83a820a1b269bd3be2b9.png

I've made this place with two stimpacks and one backpack. Here is also poor dead marine and his loyal candle.

2074422059_.jpg.8242fd83bc8e830c20c224ee026c40ab.jpg

It isn't too much, but still can be nice to find as secret on this really long road with dead end.

And, of course, I've hide this place so it can't be seen on the auto-map:

image.png.49fef1f0e473c463fc6c73ee706e1076.png

Add this or not - it is up to you. I mean... This long road is just sad, 'cause there is nothing in the end of it and this map also has no secrets at all...

As for bugs - for now I found no any of them. Map can be completed from start to end on UV even with maxed stats.

8 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

@EPICALLL

Well... First of all, here is a playthrough by me in "DSDA-Doom":

I've checked out and yes, for some reasons, after updating this source-port, compatibility setting was changed to "Doom V2.1" and mouse-look was disabled too. Now all worked properly.

But I am still have some issues with supply. At least, with HP. I mean, room with four pillars is kinda overkill, but doable. I mostly died on ~2% of HP due to horde of Chaingunners outside of building. Don't mind me wrong, but you can put in the lair of three Barons of Hell maybe two poor stimpacks? It isn't too much and can give a smile to almost dead player...

And... I have poor suggestion about secrets. Your map has none of it. And I still can (for some reason) go to the far end of this road. Why there isn't something special here? Here I made some "solution" for this area, since you are not blocking players from going there:

Hide contents

Here is the place I am talking about:

image.png.65316d77c44e83a820a1b269bd3be2b9.png

I've made this place with two stimpacks and one backpack. Here is also poor dead marine and his loyal candle.

2074422059_.jpg.8242fd83bc8e830c20c224ee026c40ab.jpg

It isn't too much, but still can be nice to find as secret on this really long road with dead end.

And, of course, I've hide this place so it can't be seen on the auto-map:

image.png.49fef1f0e473c463fc6c73ee706e1076.png

Add this or not - it is up to you. I mean... This long road is just sad, 'cause there is nothing in the end of it and this map also has no secrets at all...

As for bugs - for now I found no any of them. Map can be completed from start to end on UV even with maxed stats.

1. Thank you :)

2. Good idea, why didn't I think of that? Let alone bother to remember secrets. :P

Crickey, it's been quite some time.

Sorry about the sudden silence. I don't like posting too much on forums unless I have something to show for it. I've been wrapping my head around the project trying to figure out how to blend a good urbex map while still fitting approximately 150 and making it exciting.There's definitely gonna be something before 2023, don't worry about that. But if you consider that I'm taking too long, feel free to let someone else take my spot for the well being of the project. I must admit I'm kind of a extremely petty regarding the quality of my own maps. So much so that I drag my ass around trying to figure out what would work.

I genuinely don't want you guys to be disappointed with a Boxy Doom-II-attempt-at-making-a-city-map kind of thing. Or some other garbage "that filler map between 10 and 25" thing that would be very unremarkable.

Also real life, work, yadda yadda.

My most sincere apologies for the delay.

@Fikilili

I am not wanna kick anyone off from this project. Slots count isn't problem at all.

Just don't pressure yourself very much, mate.

And, again, don't think that we can have all 30 maps before end of 2022.

We can either only have <15 (if all gonna be alright) in this year, or maybe some more in the next year.

I still don't sure how to be with deadline. Only month with one week left (and I know that on holidays very small amount of people gonna have time and mood for mapping).

And... So many slots that is taken, but I don't hear any news from many of these Doomers... What should I do?..

On 11/25/2022 at 5:55 PM, RastaManGames said:

And... So many slots that is taken, but I don't hear any news from many of these Doomers... What should I do?..

Personally, i don't think that not setting deadlines is a good idea. You can set few deadlines: first one - to look current mapper progress (any kind of screens), second one - soft deadline when everybody must provide completely playable from start to end map (probably without sufficient visuals) and latest one - real deadline. This will give a better understanding for mappers of how to spend their time and it will increase the chances of bringing the project to release. Just my humble opinion)

I mean... I have talked about end of 2022. It is in the OP-post as well.

After all, I am not good for the role of big bad boss, I think...

That's why I've politely asked if SOMEONE can start this project.

And, as result, I only gain one type of answer: "Just start it yourself!"

Sure, I can start things, but I can't be harsh enough and I am not leader at all by any means.

Here's my map. I don't know if this will be accepted and if it does, I hope you won't get many complaints on my account. Thanks to @Biodegradable for being an awesome and patient playtester, and for helping me get rid of a lot of bugs. Thanks to @Doomy__Doom and @DaAndroid614 for helping me with a HOM, and @RastaManGames for hosting this CP!

Name: Suburban nightmare

Author: Silhouette 03

Music: Ghost Town-Stewboy

Tested in: DSDA Doom in MBF21 compatibility , GZDoom 4.8.2

Difficulty settings: Yes

Multiplayer: No. will add starts if Rasta suggests it, but my map isn't really designed with DM or Co-op in mind.

Description: An abandoned city or suburb overrun by demons.

Notes: Any feedback is always appreciated. Remember to load with RTP tex.

EDIT: New version.

-Added a plasma gun in the warehouse area.

- Fixed the key bars

- Added some cells for plasma gun.

Special thanks to SleepyCat for the feedback.

Edited by Silhouette 03 : Updated version

I have to leave this CP. I don't have inspiration to make a map and every time I tried to start working on my map for this project, I couldn't come up with any ideas...

@Silhouette 03 Thank you very kindly for your contribution to this community project!

First of all, here is (as always) my playthrough of this map (sorry for save-scumming though):

This level contains various areas that was interesting to explore.

I had no critical bugs during my playthrough... Maybe one strange moment with yellow bars that doesn't opened at first time. Not sure, why. Maybe it is just me.

There was always enough ammo and health around various areas of this map.

In the moment where I thought about telling you to add "Chaingun secret somewhere on the map" (cause there was few clips, but no proper gun to use them with) you actually teased me with one and not only with him, but with squad of Chaingunners as well.

I was in the high tension at the last parts of that level, 'cause I had all three keys and map just isn't gonna stop at any time.

A nice map w/o huge slaughter-fest battles. I like it. Thank you.

P.S.: Multiplayer stuff isn't mandatory, but I guess that player starts №2, №3 & №4 can be added just in case.

Also, there was few things that can be kinda fixed or improved:

Spoiler

1) This texture of that crate is kinda misaligned:

01.jpg.996f2ffb216fae1fe375881699b6ba6d.jpg

2) I think that alignment of texture of these buildings isn't the same and if first one looks okay, then other two looks kinda off:

02.jpg.8c84000f98e93677a2f33a0a2c48cbbd.jpg

3) Actually, you can make a segmentation of these bars and made a "tricky" alignment of this support texture to be at "32px" wide space. Like this:

03.jpg.c0062c8933a307d8ed7ff76231a8e5dd.jpg

4) There is strange bright light on this wooden wall:

04.jpg.953230ac618b712eeaa4091283ffed61.jpg

5) Also... Maybe move this wooden wall a bit so it not gonna barricade someone's window? I mean... It can be sad to be a resident of that apartment:

05.jpg.57ab2cf3ae50fd94359987b216b3ada5.jpg

6) This isn't a big deal, but you can move this closet a little away, so player not gonna hear all "surprise" that he gonna get in the future:

06.jpg.a274a68da2e406adabe5e38e092cb51f.jpg

@CittyKat112 Aw... Sorry to hear that. I mean, you nickname has "City" in it, after all.

Well... Good luck in other community projects and in mapping itself, then!

Don't overdo yourself and get a good rest when you need it!

Hey Rasta, thanks for the very detailed feedback. I'm really glad you liked my map.

1) I've realigned that crate texture. Thanks for pointing that out.

2) the textures on the buildings have been properly aligned

3) Thanks for the tip on aligning the bars. It should all look okay now

4) I've adjusted the lighting on the walls

5) I've moved the walls a bit so as not block the windows, but I can't seem to align the textures properly, as to not repeat over walls that you pointed out in 2. I've moved the walls slightly to block the windows completely, so as to make the illusion that there isn't a window there. I've done my best here.

6) I can't move the teleport closets as the closets are joined with another sector. If I move the one sector, the joined sector moves with it, and changes the sectors flats.

7) I've removed some of the health and ammo. There's too much as is.

Near the chaingun, you looked at the sky as well as some of the lights in the area after the room with the crates. What were you trying to say to me? You didn't mention that in your post. I'm going to update my post with a new download link with all the changes you suggested.

Thanks for playing!

17 minutes ago, Silhouette 03 said:

Near the chaingun, you looked at the sky as well as some of the lights in the area after the room with the crates. What were you trying to say to me? You didn't mention that in your post. I'm going to update my post with a new download link with all the changes you suggested.

I mean... It was mentioned both about light and about chaingun. 🤔