Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RastaManGames

[Community Project] Doomed Urbex (State Of 1st Beta Compilation)

Hey, sorry to the bearer of bad news, but I think I'll have to leave the project. My map is about 70 percent done, but a lot of personal stuff just hit me and I definitely won't be able to finish it before a while, let alone the end of January. Sorry.

The layout of MAP10, or as I'm naming it, Supply Depot 2 (name directly comes from the Doom Bible), is done and by far the largest map I have ever created. It might have my largest monster count ever as well once I'm done with it.

8 hours ago, Dwimepon said:

Hey, sorry to the bearer of bad news, but I think I'll have to leave the project. My map is about 70 percent done, but a lot of personal stuff just hit me and I definitely won't be able to finish it before a while, let alone the end of January. Sorry.

Sad to hear. Maybe you can try to hop in while compiling the project?..

P.S.: Please don't think that I am an big arsehole.

This projects is stagnated for too long, 'cause it is almost ~5 months that is passed with not so much progress.

It needs to be done.

Another expanding of deadline not going to pay well.

Sadly, this community project wasn't that interesting for big majority of mappers, since Hell-themed or base-themed maps still easier to make, I guess and they are not as "boring" as levels that represents our reality...

Edited by RastaManGames

I might be filling in the remaining two spots, including a map that is actually a sequel to my MAP10 and a stone cavern type map.

11 hours ago, Endy McGufin said:

omg how did you do colored lighting 

already answered

@RileyXY1 Oh... I do not wanna be a bastard, but I have to point you to few things, after all.

Please don't be offended by these... I am only wanting to help you to increase your mapping skills.

First of all, map itself are kinda sad.

I mean... It is just few rooms filled with crates and some of these are connected with... Sewer? And all of that doesn't make much sense.

There is also no any screenshots or basic info about this map, like, at the very least, name.

If you ask me, we have already one kind of "storage area" map that is made by @Serious Vadim and, personally, I don't think that we need more of these.

There is also very abstract map by @OceanMadman, but his entry has overall idea of the village that is consumed by Hell and you can even visit few buildings there.

Also, we just can't use wall's textures on the flats. We are on MBF21, not on UDMF:

Spoiler

oBnbemw.png

Your map also has no any lighting variation. It is only brightness ~= 192 everywhere and it looks very bland, to be honest:

Spoiler

9zSpqiV.png

I don't against the idea of "storage area", but you may need to redone that map completely and there is some tips that can help to understand what I mean:

• Add some streets that is gonna surround that facility. This CP is about cities, towns and urban places. Your map lacks of it, in my honest opinion.
  • Use less aggressive texturing in the rooms. Something more "human-like" gonna fit well and resource pack has some not bad textures for walls already.
  • Don't forget about some places that every facility has: A technical corridors, maybe server rooms (for CCTV), room for security, room for relax (for workers), some toilet and/or some cafeteria. This map is very lifeless and I don't feel that place gonna exist in the world that was filled by humans.

Also... @Serious Vadim, don't you mind to add some "life" to your facility too?

11 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

@RileyXY1 Oh... I do not wanna be a bastard, but I have to point you to few things, after all.

Please don't be offended by these... I am only wanting to help you to increase your mapping skills.

First of all, map itself are kinda sad.

I mean... It is just few rooms filled with crates and some of these are connected with... Sewer? And all of that doesn't make much sense.

There is also no any screenshots or basic info about this map, like, at the very least, name.

If you ask me, we have already one kind of "storage area" map that is made by @Serious Vadim and, personally, I don't think that we need more of these.

There is also very abstract map by @OceanMadman, but his entry has overall idea of the village that is consumed by Hell and you can even visit few buildings there.

Also, we just can't use wall's textures on the flats. We are on MBF21, not on UDMF:

Reveal hidden contents

oBnbemw.png

Your map also has no any lighting variation. It is only brightness ~= 192 everywhere and it looks very bland, to be honest:

Reveal hidden contents

9zSpqiV.png

I don't against the idea of "storage area", but you may need to redone that map completely and there is some tips that can help to understand what I mean:

• Add some streets that is gonna surround that facility. This CP is about cities, towns and urban places. Your map lacks of it, in my honest opinion.
  • Use less aggressive texturing in the rooms. Something more "human-like" gonna fit well and resource pack has some not bad textures for walls already.
  • Don't forget about some places that every facility has: A technical corridors, maybe server rooms (for CCTV), room for security, room for relax (for workers), some toilet and/or some cafeteria. This map is very lifeless and I don't feel that place gonna exist in the world that was filled by humans.

Also... @Serious Vadim, don't you mind to add some "life" to your facility too?

The map is known as Supply Depot 2, and it had been abandoned for quite some time. I ultimately decided to use a lot of rusted metal textures to give off that vibe, plus the sewer area was the result of the place becoming slowly degraded over time and the sewage pipes eventually burst and a hallway become flooded completely with all the excrement that had been built up in the pipes with no one there to keep it all in check. I also made some edits, I added a bathroom area which is now where one of the keys can be found, plus I changed the brightness in the sewers to a much lower 144.

Is MAP15 gonna be filled by MAP33 if it isn't taken by the deadline?
Because, if that isn't the case, I'll be glad to take up the mantle here. Always helps to get better at building city maps, right?
I should mention that it might take me about 3-4 days to get started (as I'm currently finishing up a map for another CP), and usually it takes me 2-3 weeks to finish the map I'm making, so, if you're expecting a speedmap, you will be disappointed.

I just finished a second map that is basically a town, with multiple explorable buildings. It is also a direct sequel to my MAP10 that allows you to visit the final area of MAP10, along with some new buildings like a house, a military base, a library (which isn't needed to be accessed to beat the map) and an entrance to a mineshaft. This is by far the largest map I have ever created, along with it having the most textures used of any map I have ever created.

6 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

...if you're expecting a speedmap, you will be disappointed.

To be honest, I am not expecting anything at this point.

If you will to make another map - I am not against it.

After first revision (alpha/beta/gamma or you name it) I can see and, if anyone made a map - I can insert it into shared pool with other maps.

If you are too busy with IRL stuff or with other projects - then don't spend precious time on this project, I guess.

In that time (Fall of 2022) I just wanted to create a map for city-themed CP. That's it. And there wasn't any CP with that theme.

And now I am kinda regrets about starting up a thing that this community seems not needs at all.

I mean... Yes, it is still nice that we have, at least, several maps for it and etc., but sometimes I just want to grab my maps and escape this nightmare.

Because I am don't know anything at this point.

Edited by RastaManGames

6 minutes ago, RastaManGames said:

After first revision (alpha/beta/gamma or you name it) I can see and, if anyone made a map - I can insert it into shared pool with other maps.

If you are too busy with IRL stuff or with other projects - then don't spend precious time on this project, I guess.

In that time (Fall of 2022) I just wanted to create a map for city-themed CP. That's it. And there wasn't any CP with that theme.

And now I am kinda regrets about starting up a thing that this community seems not needs at all.

I mean... Yes, it is still nice that we have, at least, several maps for it and etc., but sometimes I just want to grab my maps and escape this nightmare.

Ok, will do.
I will probably do so, but no guarantees.
I will also try making it more exploration-heavy. MAP18 is... Let's just say my worst work since April of last year.

Don't get discouraged!

I've been following this project since the start and am really looking forward to it.

I can say the same here! I wanted to join this project a lot, but I was involved in too many other projects at the time. Looking forward to playing the final product.

8 hours ago, EPICALLL said:

Ok, will do.
I will probably do so, but no guarantees.
I will also try making it more exploration-heavy. MAP18 is... Let's just say my worst work since April of last year.

I've got an exploration-heavy MAP25 coming up. There's quite a few areas (including an entire building) that you don't even need to access to complete the level.

9 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

Nah, in the end it should never be about what the community needs, but what you want to create, always. Everyone who had since joined up and submitted a map should be evident enough they also wanted to see this project succeed, so just keep focused for this smaller group of like-minded folks and continue doing the best support you can offer as the project lead. Take a short break to clear some headspace before compiling the project if necessary and chalk all this as a learning experience for future endeavors. Don't lose sight of your goals, the finish line is close and you've made it this far!

4 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

I've got an exploration-heavy MAP25 coming up. There's quite a few areas (including an entire building) that you don't even need to access to complete the level.

And that Is exactly what I'm doing for my map too. How co-incidential.

13 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

... a thing that this community seems not needs at all...

At least i need it.

16 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

It's really sad to see you're feeling down about the project. I obviously don't know you personally but it seems to me that you're being overly hard on yourself and that you're reading into people's behaviour in an overly negative way.

I can tell you that the concept of this wad is really good but it's also a real challenge for those of us that are not as experienced as some of the other mappers here. I'm finding that creating windows, managing the ratio of room space to believable building proportion is far more challenging than the more abstract stuff I've done in the past.

If you're feeling down that more people(particularly big name contributors) have not joined or expressed an interest in mapping for the project bear in mind that people are going to be more likely to take part in a project that has a lower commitment and skill threshold, take for example the 1 hour Xmas project. It does not mean that projects like this are not needed or are not good. It's not personal so try not to read it that way.

This wad has only been in development for about 4 months, I think? That's not actually all that long. So maybe for your own mental health, take a break from it all and get back into when you're feeling better. 

I really hope I get my map finished soon and that it's up to a good standard but if I don't then know that it's nothing personal, You're a great mapper bro.

Some updates, I added TEXTtures hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Spoiler

2p6OqY8.png
1cO6dLE.png

I thought "what if you for some reason missed the blue keycard?" I can't make an elevator that goes up and down this late into the dev time. So with the deadline coming real soon, i resorted to this:

Spoiler

OsleBuB.png
9N0fRNA.png

I also went to reduce the level's geometry on the right side taking account of what the player could see even with mouselook. Map do be large. The orange parts are the skyhack.

GIGiuHZ.png

Map's almost done. I'm adjusting the enemy placement for all difficulties and still figuring out how to get to the "boss" of the map

7 minutes ago, Drywtler said:

Some updates, I added TEXTtures hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hide contents

2p6OqY8.png
1cO6dLE.png

I thought "what if you for some reason missed the blue keycard?" I can't make an elevator that goes up and down this late into the dev time. So with the deadline coming real soon, i resorted to this:

Reveal hidden contents

OsleBuB.png
9N0fRNA.png

I also went to reduce the level's geometry on the right side taking account of what the player could see even with mouselook. Map do be large. The orange parts are the skyhack.

GIGiuHZ.png

Map's almost done. I'm adjusting the enemy placement for all difficulties and still figuring out how to get to the "boss" of the map

Those ''TEXTtures'' have a lot of potential. I've seen a lot of cool ideas for this CP, It looks like it's gonna be very fun to play

I’m very much looking forwards to play this wad. Also your maps are very enjoyable. Please don’t be so hard on yourself.

EDIT: v2 released [Changelog]

OH BABY IT FINALLY HAPPENED (v1 download)

🔸 Map Name: One Last Job
🔸 Author: Drywtler

🔸 Music: No music added (just the MAP05 music)

🔸 Ports Tested: DSDA-doom, GZDoom

🔸 Difficulty Settings: Some enemy swaps for UV and beyond, map's easy.

🔹 Multiplayer Stuff: No

🔹 Description: You lost your job recently. It's wasn't your fault but nobody stood up with you to prevent it. The workplace is truly hell, and you know who makes it be like that.

🔹 Notes: I provided not only the map, but the resources wad with my added textures, the red colormap, and the added textures in a seperate folder to make the compilation process a bit easier.

Everytime I thought I had it done, another thing pops up: Doors not working, the fucking blood flood thing with fake floors/ceilings, the bridge with a shitton of crossbeams because it's supposed to be a fire escape, the sky i was using was edit of a Half-Life skybox and I had to change it...

It took a bit longer to make because I had moments of mapper block and didn't even want to touch the editor but yeah, it is done. I'll hear ya!

Edited by Drywtler

7 hours ago, Drywtler said:

OH BABY IT FINALLY HAPPENED

🔸 Map Name: One Last Job
🔸 Author: Drywtler

🔸 Music: No music added (just the MAP05 music)

🔸 Ports Tested: DSDA-doom, GZDoom

🔸 Difficulty Settings: Some enemy swaps for UV and beyond, map's easy.

🔹 Multiplayer Stuff: No

🔹 Description: You lost your job recently. It's wasn't your fault but nobody stood up with you to prevent it. The workplace is truly hell, and you know who makes it be like that.

🔹 Notes: I provided not only the map, but the resources wad with my added textures, the red colormap, and the added textures in a seperate folder to make the compilation process a bit easier.

Everytime I thought I had it done, another thing pops up: Doors not working, the fucking blood flood thing with fake floors/ceilings, the bridge with a shitton of crossbeams because it's supposed to be a fire escape, the sky i was using was edit of a Half-Life skybox and I had to change it...

It took a bit longer to make because I had moments of mapper block and didn't even want to touch the editor but yeah, it is done. I'll hear ya!

I liked it. My only complains are that you may not have enough ammo to finish the map which could be solved with a few shells near the end, and that the final boss looks quite dumb, maybe if you added more detail to it...