Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

2022ADO ... Released! (now on idgames)

AMAZING! And DAMN... is this the best year for Doom 1 wads ever??

@pcorf, Incineration is one of my favorite original Doom replacement episodes. Some of the best old school Hell stuff I've seen anyone do. Can't wait to see your take on SIGIL!

46 minutes ago, Captain Keen said:

Can't wait to see your take on SIGIL!

Well my take of SIGIL is in 2022ado. Episode 5.

50 maps?(well 49 atm) Damn that's a chonky megawad, fantastic! Congrats on that milestone and almost-release. 2002ADO is one of the first megawads I played outside of the IWADs so to say i'm looking forward to 2022ADO putting it lightly.

8 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

Very nice! Time to bust out Voxel Doom to play with this.

Also did some testing of my own with Voxel Doom on my maps. Seems like should randomize angles of corpses so they don't all point in the same direction, lol. Looks a bit strange with voxel corpses.. But that might be a bit too much work to go through all the maps for something like that. :D

1 hour ago, Shanoa said:

50 maps?(well 49 atm) Damn that's a chonky megawad, fantastic! Congrats on that milestone and almost-release. 2002ADO is one of the first megawads I played outside of the IWADs so to say i'm looking forward to 2022ADO putting it lightly.

2022 is like a completely new adventure and over the past 20 years we have come a long way in map designing styles and layouts. We want to reimagine Doom, it is like you are playing the original game in a totally new and more detailed adventure. One of the things I wanted to do this time round is limit backtracking and have more interconnection in the layouts.

Episode 1 and 2 resemble the IWAD episodes, just more detailed. 

Episode 3 is more like a mixture of Inferno and the hell maps from Whispers of Satan.

Episode 4 is more Death Tormention like than Thy Flesh Consumed like. Episode 5 is a spinoff of SIGIL but more simplistic layout wise (more detail though), linear and with a Pcorf style of architecture.

Here is a screenshot from work in progress E3M6 that @Kristian Nebula sent to me.

E3M6_views.png

4 minutes ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Also did some testing of my own with Voxel Doom on my maps. Seems like should randomize angles of corpses so they don't all point in the same direction, lol. Looks a bit strange with voxel corpses.. But that might be a bit too much work to go through all the maps for something like that. :D

Nah, no need to do that. 2022ado is more intended towards traditional sourceports. But I don't think demons care about which direction the corpses face, all they care about is their suffering (fictional of course).

1 hour ago, pcorf said:

Nah, no need to do that. 2022ado is more intended towards traditional sourceports. But I don't think demons care about which direction the corpses face, all they care about is their suffering (fictional of course).

Yeah, wasn't even thinking to do it since it's just a voxel doom related issue. However, to avoid all slimetrail issues episode 3 can be played with GZDoom. E3M6 has tons of them and once I've got all the geometry & architecture in place I'll do my best to minimize them all but it's possible that new ones pop out in unexpected places while fixing previous ones.

31 minutes ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Yeah, wasn't even thinking to do it since it's just a voxel doom related issue. However, to avoid all slimetrail issues episode 3 can be played with GZDoom. E3M6 has tons of them and once I've got all the geometry & architecture in place I'll do my best to minimize them all but it's possible that new ones pop out in unexpected places while fixing previous ones.

When the map is complete we can sort out the trails, minor trails are fine. I am not sure how to use ZokumBSP though. It is command line but there are so many commands. Zennode works okay with detailed maps but slight adjustments will probably need to be made. Please do not compress the nodes when you send me the map so this allows me to examine it bit by bit and if I find something major just splitting a line or moving a vertex a bit will hopefully fix the issue.

Well, this is just delightful. Never played the original ADO, and I've only just reached the 1st secret level, but it's doing so many things, so, so right. As a Doom 1 set, it's not doing anything outrageous (yet), but giving off that coveted, "I want exactly what Doom 1 does best, but more of it" vibe; and as I'm playing on HMP, I already can't wait to see how the big ol' closets are gonna fill up with even more bodies. The secret hunting on the 3rd map was also really engaging: good cues and great use of the computer map to fill in the blanks.

Only three maps down and I'm already adoring this one - thank you for your years of hard effort!

3 hours ago, Daytime Waitress said:

Well, this is just delightful. Never played the original ADO, and I've only just reached the 1st secret level, but it's doing so many things, so, so right. As a Doom 1 set, it's not doing anything outrageous (yet), but giving off that coveted, "I want exactly what Doom 1 does best, but more of it" vibe; and as I'm playing on HMP, I already can't wait to see how the big ol' closets are gonna fill up with even more bodies. The secret hunting on the 3rd map was also really engaging: good cues and great use of the computer map to fill in the blanks.

Only three maps down and I'm already adoring this one - thank you for your years of hard effort!

It's been a long journey creating this but it's been a lot of fun creating this too.

Oh my god... Man, thank you, 2002ADO is my FAVOURITE Doom I of all times, and I will take pleasure to play this :D

13 hours ago, pcorf said:

Well my take of SIGIL is in 2022ado. Episode 5.

Yup, sorry, that's what I meant! I actually started with that episode, and played the first 4 maps. Overwhelmed at how good this is... I also played some of Episode 3 and a little of 4. The detailing here is incredible, it feels vanilla-ish still and yet very modern, like how I remember Doom in my head when I played it in the 90s (even though it was actually a lot more simplistic). The level of thought that went into these maps is very apparent, both in regards to gameplay and visual design. Both are important imo.

I'm a huge fan of SIGIL and you've really nailed the aesthetic Romero had going there. I have a feeling this will become one of my favorite wads. I haven't even touched the first two episodes! And I know, I know, I should play everything in order... I just love Hell maps too much!

I'll probably finish Episode 5, play through 3 and 4, and then go and do the first two episodes. I do love a good Knee Deep replacement, it's still my favorite set of maps from all the iwads.

So far played through episode 1 on UV and its definetly a fun "back to basics" KDitD theme episode like 2002ADO Episode 1 & Simply Phobos and really appricated that you put a computer map in E1M3 as I'm honestly not sure I would find the secret exit with E1M3's secret switch puzzle without it.

Finished this up earlier and loved it!  The maps showed a high level of polish, the new music was great and I struggled to find anything to suggest or gripe about, though I did have a few observations.  Amazing work and I suspect it won't take much to have this ready for December aside from the missing e3m6.  Additional notes in the spoiler:

Spoiler
  • E2M9's name was spelled Infenral rather than Infernal at the intermission screen.
  • In E3M5, the experience ended up being a bit awkward from a pistol start because I didn't notice the rocket launcher in the little corner where it appears early on.  I had jumped down after hitting the switch and didn't check the alcove where the cacodemon came out.  I think with as many rockets that are provided, maybe having it moved into just inside the main structure would work better.
  • There were some grammatical/spelling mistakes in the ending texts (savor was spelled saviour in the episode 5 ending text, for instance) but I suspect that isn't as much of a concern.
  • In DSDA-Doom running on complevel 9, most of the exits for the M10 maps didn't work as expected.  E1M8's secret exit line went to the ending text and both exits in E2M9, E3M9 and E4M9 went to the M10 maps.  E5M9's exits worked properly, though.

5 hours ago, Vile said:

Hide contents
  • E2M9's name was spelled Infenral rather than Infernal at the intermission screen.
  • In E3M5, the experience ended up being a bit awkward from a pistol start because I didn't notice the rocket launcher in the little corner where it appears early on.  I had jumped down after hitting the switch and didn't check the alcove where the cacodemon came out.  I think with as many rockets that are provided, maybe having it moved into just inside the main structure would work better.
  • There were some grammatical/spelling mistakes in the ending texts (savor was spelled saviour in the episode 5 ending text, for instance) but I suspect that isn't as much of a concern.
  • In DSDA-Doom running on complevel 9, most of the exits for the M10 maps didn't work as expected.  E1M8's secret exit line went to the ending text and both exits in E2M9, E3M9 and E4M9 went to the M10 maps.  E5M9's exits worked properly, though.

Awesome stuff!

* Thanks for E2M9 intermission graphic. I was totally not aware about this. Easy fix. = DONE

* @Kristian Nebula will need to sort E3M5. He also needs to add DM starts to that map. However I had no major problems with that map.

* I have fixed most of the UMAPINFO. The problem was the "next - "E*M*" entry was missing from the secret maps. But the E1M8 secret exit still has intermission text so will try and remove that. I am still learning about UMAPINFO, it is a new thing for me and I have needed to figure it all out myself.

* The E1M8 normal death exit telefrags a barrel to allow for (hopefully) 100% kills.

I will upload the updated wad (pb2) once I receive the updated E3M5.

Normally I'd upload straight to idgames thinking all is good. But this is the first time I have released public betas because of all the little things that go unnoticed.

Edited by pcorf

1 hour ago, pcorf said:

E1M8's secret exit line went to the ending text and both exits in E2M9, E3M9 and E4M9 went to the M10 maps.  E5M9's exits worked properly, though.

These problems seem to be related to UMAPINFO behavior rather than whether using prboom+ or dsdadoom source ports. Both zdoom/gzdoom will override anything in UMAPINFO with the MAPINFO lump anyway and as @pcorfstates, the exits work as intended in those source ports.

I've had a play around with some UMAPINFO lump tweaks. The E2M9, E3M9 and E4M9 problems can be fixed for dsdadoom 24.3 (and probably recent prboom+) by adding explicit next entries to their records, e.g.

map E2M9
{
  next = "E2M6"
  nextsecret = "E2M10"
  bossaction = BaronOfHell, 23, 666
}

This is why E5M9's exits are currently working (having both a next and nextsecret entries).

I can't see a UMAPINFO fix for E1M8's exits though. The problem might be with the endgame setting. If true (default for E1M8) the game ends no matter which exit is taken. If endgame is set to false, then the secret exit works but the normal exit dumps the player in E1M9 of all places. I have no doubt that things will work if the E1M10 secret exit is placed on any other episode 1 map but E1M8.

BTW I'm into episode 2 testing for this awesome wad. Serious fun!

started going through this map pack yesterday, and my god, combat is fantastic for a UDoom wad.

PCorf, you have done it again.

Also, I may have had a deathless/saveless episode one by total accident

1 hour ago, tmorrow said:

These problems seem to be related to UMAPINFO behavior rather than whether using prboom+ or dsdadoom source ports. Both zdoom/gzdoom will override anything in UMAPINFO with the MAPINFO lump anyway and as @pcorfstates, the exits work as intended in those source ports.

I've had a play around with some UMAPINFO lump tweaks. The E2M9, E3M9 and E4M9 problems can be fixed for dsdadoom 24.3 (and probably recent prboom+) by adding explicit next entries to their records, e.g.

map E2M9
{
  next = "E2M6"
  nextsecret = "E2M10"
  bossaction = BaronOfHell, 23, 666
}

This is why E5M9's exits are currently working (having both a next and nextsecret entries).

I can't see a UMAPINFO fix for E1M8's exits though. The problem might be with the endgame setting. If true (default for E1M8) the game ends no matter which exit is taken. If endgame is set to false, then the secret exit works but the normal exit dumps the player in E1M9 of all places. I have no doubt that things will work if the E1M10 secret exit is placed on any other episode 1 map but E1M8.

BTW I'm into episode 2 testing for this awesome wad. Serious fun!

Yes I have already fixed it (including E1M8) and it is now working correctly!. But I am not going to upload a new version until I get the updated E3M5 from @Kristian Nebula

As I said, thank goodness for public betas. The next upload will be Public Beta 2, Public Beta 3 and so on until E3M6 is complete then a final beta before idgames. But hopefully most issues are squashed by the time E3M6 is complete.

Glad you are enjoying it.

20 minutes ago, pcorf said:

Yes I have already fixed it (including E1M8) and it is now working correctly!

Players that use UMAPINFO supported source ports and play either continuous or like to do single segment episode speed runs are delighted, I'm sure!

E1M1 - Misaligned Texture

Spoiler

unknown.png
unknown.png

E1M1 - Secret Door visible as 2-sided linedef in automap

Spoiler

unknown.png

E1M1 - Oh also I can get into here with straferunning. Maybe secret area with a cake?

Spoiler

unknown.png

3 hours ago, Rycuz said:

E1M1 - Misaligned Texture

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png
unknown.png

E1M1 - Secret Door visible as 2-sided linedef in automap

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

E1M1 - Oh also I can get into here with straferunning. Maybe secret area with a cake?

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Thanks I fixed the misalignment, was lower unpegged by accident. It is hard to straferun onto the computer panel so no big deal about that.

I have also made some changes to E1M9 which improve the flow. You don't need to backtrack to areas, etc.

Secret exit to E3M9 is located on map E3M6, right? And from the E3M9 you can get to E3M10 through super secret exit - is it right, too?

But after leaving E3M10: BUNNY.WAD it teleports me immediately to E3M8: Dementertainment Loop. So it should be that through the super-secret level of the Al Dante episode you can skip the E3M7 map?

I'm playing on GZDoom 4.6.0.

33 minutes ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

Secret exit to E3M9 is located on map E3M6, right? And from the E3M9 you can get to E3M10 through super secret exit - is it right, too?

But after leaving E3M10: BUNNY.WAD it teleports me immediately to E3M8: Dementertainment Loop. So it should be that through the super-secret level of the Al Dante episode you can skip the E3M7 map?

I'm playing on GZDoom 4.6.0.

Cheers for that. I'm very appreciated for the members here.

E3M6 secret exit to E3M9.

E3M9 secret exit to E3M10 (Kill All Barons in E3M9 to reveal secret exit)

E3M9 and E3M10 normal exits should go to E3M7. I say I made a typing mistake in the MAPINFO.

We're getting there thanks to all of you picking out the mistakes.

I'll copy this post to a text file and double check the MAPINFO and UMAPINFO tomorrow.

Great!

In the first episode of 2002ado, together with plasma in backpacks we could also find plasma rifle and BFG9000 in due care and the Baron of Hell appeared a little earlier than usual. But here nothing like this is observed, the Starbase Antipathy episode demonstrates a purely classical approach to filling levels ;)) And that's what I like about him - all in good time!

It's funny that the record for the numbers of monsters per level throughout 2002ado (E4M6: Dementia, 343 monsters) was broken in 2022ado already on the first episode!