Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

2022ADO ... Released! (now on idgames)

Everything I wrote about the E2M1 can be transferred to this map. 

To see such an easter egg on the map made in full hellish style was unexpected. Although this map itself is unexpected on an episode made in the spirit of The Shores of Hell...

A kind of short relaxing slaughter after three long levels in a row! 

It's a pity that I didn't open the automap on the record, it's a pity... It's a little late to catch myself.

these maps are so frickin good.. i just beat the 3rd episode.. very balanced difficulty to.. anyone know any more wads like this one?

The second episode is over and as you can see, it took me more than 10 minutes for a majority of maps. This may be due either to the fact that the maps have greatly increased both in size and in the quality of the population or to the fact that I am a rather slow player :)) However, the first does not exclude the second!

Ahead of us are three hellish but made in a different style episodes...

BEST MAPS:

1) E2M4: Shipping by @pcorf

2) E2M5: Akuma by @pcorf

3) E2M9: Infernal Scorn by @pcorf

BEST SOUNDTRACKS:

1) E2M1: "Insomnic Demonic" by @pcorf

2) E2M4: "Deathpandemic" by @pcorf

3) E2M10: "Into a Sandy City" by Peter Lawrence

Edited by RaRu Des2122

EPISODE 3: AL DANTE

The first of three hellish episodes is inspired by the final part of Whispers of Satan megawad and is almost all made by @Kristian Nebula. Only 3 levels out of 10 were made by @pcorf.

This is the last level inhabited by less than 100 monsters. But there are still twenty nine maps ahead - more than half of the entire megawad...

It was very difficult for me to navigate and look for an optimal way at this level. Additionally, the situation was complicated by items that were sometimes hidden better than secrets. According to my observations, @Kristian Nebula generally likes to do this. As example, I immediately remember Map02: The Sink from WoS...

The only @pcorf's map in the episode exclude the secret ones.

There are almost 700 monsters waiting us on this map... This is the most populated level in the megawad!

But all my good impressions of it were completely destroyed by the impenetrably dark labyrinths shot from all sides...

This map was made the last of all fifty and it was this map that was missing in the first two public betas. However, the expectations were not in vain - in my opinion, this map is the best in the episode if not in the entire megawad at all. As I have already said, multi-stage secrets are my weakness and at this level it is also associated with a reference and with an unusual texture for Doom.

It's funny that the logical continuation of the theme set in the name of the previous level is exactly the secret level but not the level with the next sequential number.

Edited by RaRu Des2122

This time, a break for a short dynamic slaughter is even more necessary than in the previous episode since two of the three previous maps took me more than 20 minutes each. @pcorf, did you make a map first and then remembered that there is a music with a name similar to the shape of the map or did you make and name a map based on the name of the soundtrack? :D

Loviatar is the Finnish goddess of death and disease. Her image can be found in one of secrets. Can this be considered an Easter egg, @Kristian Nebula?

Somehow, the situation is more familiar when shorter maps are at the beginning of the episode, not at the end. However, I have nothing against the episode ending in such an almost relaxing way.

BEST MAPS:

1) E3M4: Disquietude Consternation by @pcorf

2) E3M6: Lament Configuration by @Kristian Nebula

3) E3M7: Loviatar by @Kristian Nebula

BEST SOUNDTRACKS:

1) E3M6: "Boiling Point" by @pcorf

2) E3M8: "Fractal Fighters" by @Kristian Nebula

3) E3M9: "Evil Story" by @pcorf

@RaRu Des2122 delightful to watch these videos! It's very interesting to see someone find their optimal routes through the maps. E3M7, yes it's an easter egg indeed. The picture is the famous painting named "Defense of Sampo", depicting Louhi or Loviatar attacking Väinämöinen, a demigod-like figure in the finnish national epoch Kalevala to try and steal Sampo, a magical artifact of abundance. The picture was painted by Akseli Gallen-Kallela, who created many paintings considered important to the finnish national identity.

EPISODE 4: TORMENTED SUFFERING

Another hellish episode but visually it is not very similar to the previous one. A large amount of green marble, brown wood, bright orange sky and equally bright lava. We could see something similar earlier in the episodes from the Death Tormention series, which I had already been recording not so long ago.

Edited by RaRu Des2122

The third and last level in the megawad whose automap looks like an animal and the third and last level in the megawad without a single secret.

On the fourth episode everything is quite logical: short maps at the beginning and longer ones at the end. In this way, it compares favorably with others in my opinion.

Despite the fact that there are still four levels left until the end of this episode, the ending of this level allows us to see what the next episode will look like. 

This is the only map in 2022ado which was made by three authors.

I had to tinker a lot with two cyberdemons at once. The barons of Hell joining them instantly made things even more complicated. The record that you will see is not the first attempt to pass the level.

The fourth episode seems to me the most consistent: levels in it go steadily from short and simpler to long and more complicated. In the same way, their quality is gradually increasing and I consider the two final maps to be the best in the episode. And when I will sum up the results of the entire walkthrough, it will not be easy for me to choose one of them...

BEST MAPS:

1) E4M2: Bloodgore by @pcorf

2) E4M7: Impious Alcazar by @pcorf

3) E4M8: Gateway to Sigil by @pcorf

BEST SOUNDTRACKS:

1) E4M1: "Demonic Parade" by @pcorf

2) E4M8: "The One God" by @pcorf

3) E4M9: "Cold Feet" by @pcorf

So I finally decided to play through 2002 ADO. For some reason, I was convinced I had played it before, but then I realized I might have conflated with Whispers of Satan. Either way, now that it is out of the way, it is time for me to check 2022 ADO! :D

On 5/3/2023 at 12:33 AM, RaRu Des2122 said:

BEST MAPS:

1) E4M2: Bloodgore by @pcorf

Wow that was a surprise. I thought E4M2 was my least inspired effort.

Hopefully you will love E5. Thanks for your playthrough so far.

EPISODE 5: INCENDIO CRUCIO

The third and final hellish episode was definitely inspired by John Romero's SIGIL. Here we can see the characteristic red cracks in the floor, the black squares with the image of a demon at the end of the levels,  the green shootable eyes on the walls that allow us to move forward, the light brown sky... In general, the style is fully sustained. The levels themselves have become much larger, much lighter and there are no zombies on them at all. I wonder why?

This inscription that you see on the preview and the circumstances under which it can be seen slightly reminded me of the E3M5: Pain Temple level from the DT: CT megawad. 

What is this hole where monsters become invisible and I take damage? It all starts at 8:44 and at 8:57 it becomes especially noticeable.

Phenex and Andrealphus are the demons from "Goetia", the first part of the "The Lesser Key of Solomon" grimoire. And the same goes for the names of other levels in this episode, except for the secret ones. But I didn't find Ukobach there. Where did this demon come from?

Edited by RaRu Des2122

This is the last level in the megawad where is neither a spider mastermind nor a cyberdemon.

Definitely the best level in the whole episode! I would call it a collection of quotations from past works. Pieces from different levels of different megawads are connected in one map - and after collecting half of the colored keys, they are connected even more with the help of new corridors. In which, by the way, familiar places are also guessed. Here are maps, parts from which I saw on this level: 

1) E1M1: The Entry from 2002ado

2) E1M3: The Doomed Lab from 2002ado

3) E1M7: Service Base from 2002ado

4) E1M9: Lugano Base ZRX from 2002ado

5) E2M1: Station Alpha from 2002ado

6) E1M1: Cargo Hanger from Simply Phobos

7) Map01: Sintlabs from Whispers of Satan

I readily believe that I could not recognize some locations because I did not play all of your WADs. Did I miss anything, @pcorf?

All the previous slaughter maps in megawad pale in comparison with this one... The secret levels in the last episode were a success!

This map will definitely be mentioned in the list of the best soundtracks!

Phew, the megawad is complete!  It was a long journey... Still, I really hope that this is not your last big job, @pcorf.

However, judging by the final gallery, I still have a lot of work. I will not specify the dates but I will definitely try to play through all of it.

BEST MAPS:

1) E5M2: Andrealphus by @pcorf

2) E5M9: A Doomed Odyssey by @pcorf

3) E5M10: Plasma by @pcorf

BEST SOUNDTRACKS:

1) E5M5: "Unyes" by @Jimmy (the best soundtrack from all fifty!)

2) E5M7: "Adirgio" by @Jimmy 

3) E5M8: "Octarine" by @Jimmy (it gives a feeling of finishing the way like no other)

And now it's time to sum up the overall results!

I think it is not entirely correct to choose only one map out of all fifty as the best because the megawad is divided into five episodes. So I'll pick one map from each episode and do the same with the soundtracks. Here are my favorites:

Episode 1: Starbase Antipathy

- Best map: E1M7: Alpha Starport

- Best soundtrack: E1M9: "Shake Off The Rast"

Episode 2: Gateway to Jigoku

- Best map: E2M5: Akuma

- Best soundtrack: E2M1: "Insomnic Demonic"

Episode 3: Al Dante

- Best map: E3M6: Lament Configuration

- Best soundtrack: E3M9: "Evil Story"

Episode 4: Tormented Suffering

- Best map: E4M8: Gateway to Sigil

- Best soundtrack: E4M4: "Running With Beasts"

Episode 5: Incendio Crucio

- Best map: E5M9: A Doomed Odyssey

- Best soundtrack: E5M5: "Unyes"

It will be interesting to know the opinion of the creators on this issue as well as to see other tops from those who have played this megawad.

1065100629_.jpg.85d130055724e2addee269e3d85222a5.jpg

I have calculated in detail which monster appears in what quantity in each episode. The numbers for episodes and for each individual type of monsters converge give the same amount: in total, almost 12,000 monsters live in the megawad (an average of 235-236 monsters per level). I hope someone is interested...

All statistics are given for the Ultra-Violence difficulty.

147299894_.jpg.da323437f6a32d14a02d63d3f899333f.jpg

And the secrets. Almost 300!

Thanks for your review and playthrough. Much appreciated.

My maps tend to contain more secrets than many other authors. Ever since I started playing Doom I was always a fan of secret hunting. Interestingly enough you prefer my more linear maps (like E2M9 and E4M8 for example).

And compared to previous works you saw more scary ambushes, crushing ceilings, areas where the lights went out, etc. Also interesting how there are 200 more lost souls than demons. I just love lost souls, they are annoying but challenging.

As the author, my personal favourite maps (created by me) are: E1M5, E1M7, E2M4, E4M7, E5M4, E5M9 due to their interconnected layouts.

My personal favourite songs (composed by me) are: E1M9, E2M4, E3M6, E3M7, E4M7, E4M8.

And yes I love the Jimmy song used in E5M5. The song was already in the megawad and it was it's inspiration towards the map, a dark, spooky sounding song resulted in a rather spooky map.

E5M9 A Doomed Odyssey is indeed a tribute map to past works. It contains areas from 2002ado, Simply Phobos and Whispers of Satan.

It was a fun experience creating 2022ado and I am glad you enjoyed it.

wanna bump this wad, was looking through it in search of good midis and found myself adoring Episode 2 <3