Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

2022ADO ... Released! (now on idgames)

3 hours ago, Austinado said:

I just came here to say...im in love with @Jimmy midi Adirgio E5M7...delicious..so damn nice midi.

Sure is a nice Midi despite it's short length.

8 hours ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

Great!

In the first episode of 2002ado, together with plasma in backpacks we could also find plasma rifle and BFG9000 in due care and the Baron of Hell appeared a little earlier than usual. But here nothing like this is observed, the Starbase Antipathy episode demonstrates a purely classical approach to filling levels ;)) And that's what I like about him - all in good time!

It's funny that the record for the numbers of monsters per level throughout 2002ado (E4M6: Dementia, 343 monsters) was broken in 2022ado already on the first episode!

With Episode 1 I made sure that only TEXTURE1 was used for the wall textures and the same enemies and weapons as the original E1. Of course you need to kill the Barons in E1M8 to prevail. E1M8 is also the most linear map in the WAD, followed by E5M7, E5M8, E3M8, and E1M2.

Episode 2 like the original game introduces Cacodemons and Lost Souls plus the plasma rifle. Episode 3, 4 and 5 use everything and the Cyberdemon appears more as a regular enemy.

The names of the odd numbered maps in Episode 2 are in Japanese.

E2M1: Shogun = MILITARY.

E2M3: Budonoki = VINES.

E2M5: Akuma = DEVIL.

E2M7: Osore = FEAR.

In the 2022 retake, there are a couple of maps with over 600 monsters on UV. (E3M5 and E5M10). But E5M10 has no difficulty settings, it is a scrappy and abstract slaughter map filled with plasma textures and everyone's favorite midi (not so much my favorite). E5M9 is a tribute map, a remix of some of my past releases.

58 minutes ago, pcorf said:

E5M9 is a tribute map, a remix of some of my past releases.

unknown.png?width=1246&height=701

To think you've come such a long way since this :p

11 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Oh my I had so much fun creating this map way back in 1997.

Mainly just some UDB error checking stuff I noticed.

E1M1 ...
Sector 45 is unclosed. Texture clash. This is caused by line 219 overlapping line 229.

E1M6 ... lines 1585, 1586, 1587 and 1204 could use a Y alignment.

E3M4 ... Missing SKIN2 on the lower of line 795. Slimetrail.

E3M5 ... I noted that line 1741 encroaches into sector 265. Compare lines 1729 and 1753.
May or may not be an issue.

E3M7 ...

While probably not seen in game, the backside lower of line 5587 should have been
ROCKRED2 ( or sector 842's floor height changed to -310 ).

E3M8 ... Linedef 3596 needs to be flagged double-sided.

E4M1 ... Missing upper texture on line 2674. Slimetrail. Needs SP_HOT1.

E4M10 ... Linedef 118 front sidedef missing lower texture. Slimetrail. Needs STONE2.

E4M6 ... Linedef 1692 lower front sidedef missing lower texture. Slimetrail. Needs SKSNAKE2.

E5M2 ...  Lines 1811 and 1839 overlap. This causes a small glitch at vertex 1493. Similar at vertex 864.

E5M8 ... Line 6108 overlaps sector 1125. This does not upset GZDoom, but I thought I should mention.

Nice work as usual.

3 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Oh, The Ultimate Adventure - the ninth map of the Twilight Zone! 

By the way, it's really a bit of pity that among all 50 levels there was no one in Wolfenstein-style - I've already managed to get used to the fact that there are such maps in almost every megawad from @pcorf ;))

18 minutes ago, hawkwind said:

Mainly just some UDB error checking stuff I noticed.

E1M1 ...
Sector 45 is unclosed. Texture clash. This is caused by line 219 overlapping line 229.

E1M6 ... lines 1585, 1586, 1587 and 1204 could use a Y alignment.

E3M4 ... Missing SKIN2 on the lower of line 795. Slimetrail.

E3M5 ... I noted that line 1741 encroaches into sector 265. Compare lines 1729 and 1753.
May or may not be an issue.

E3M7 ...

While probably not seen in game, the backside lower of line 5587 should have been
ROCKRED2 ( or sector 842's floor height changed to -310 ).

E3M8 ... Linedef 3596 needs to be flagged double-sided.

E4M1 ... Missing upper texture on line 2674. Slimetrail. Needs SP_HOT1.

E4M10 ... Linedef 118 front sidedef missing lower texture. Slimetrail. Needs STONE2.

E4M6 ... Linedef 1692 lower front sidedef missing lower texture. Slimetrail. Needs SKSNAKE2.

E5M2 ...  Lines 1811 and 1839 overlap. This causes a small glitch at vertex 1493. Similar at vertex 864.

E5M8 ... Line 6108 overlaps sector 1125. This does not upset GZDoom, but I thought I should mention.

Nice work as usual.

Thanks. Copied your notes into a text file and will check these issues out later.

I've played up to E1M6.  This is a huge improvement over 2002ADO (which was good).  The levels are good, the music is good.  I plan on playing through the whole thing.

Haven't had much time for dooming lately but I was able to play E1M1, M2, and M3. I really enjoyed them so far, especially E1M3. The crazy amount of secrets and creative layout were a blast to explore. In really looking forward to playing this more and I'll try to post some demos (PrBoom+/UMAPINFO on Complevel 11, MBF) and see if I can point out some bugs. Good stuff PCorf!

10 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Haven't had much time for dooming lately but I was able to play E1M1, M2, and M3. I really enjoyed them so far, especially E1M3. The crazy amount of secrets and creative layout were a blast to explore. In really looking forward to playing this more and I'll try to post some demos (PrBoom+/UMAPINFO on Complevel 11, MBF) and see if I can point out some bugs. Good stuff PCorf!

Don't worry I have been fixing many things (thanks to all you guys) so it will all be good once it goes on to idgames I am guessing in November. The PB2 is not too far away.

Once E3M6 arrives maybe in 4-6 weeks time and all problems in the other maps are fixed I might consider rebuilding the nodes with Zokum BSP but I have no clue how to use it (it is command line) and which settings are best for ultra detailed maps.

Got through all of eps 3-5. Still have to do 1-2 now. These are without a doubt some of the best Ultimate Doom levels I've ever played. This is 5/5 A+ mapping here.

One tiny little thing I noticed: in E3M8, the body by the pentagram randomly lights up like there's something shining on it. Was that on purpose or is that a quirk? I'm using GZDoom 4.8.2 (latest one) with Software Rendering.

I wish I could point out something more substantial but this is really polished work, and above posters have already gotten to some of the more obvious stuff. Can't stress enough how much I've been enjoying this mega-megawad! Also looking forward to E3M6.

EDIT: That sector lighting issue is a GZDoom specific bug present in 4.8.2

Edited by Captain Keen

Played the full first episode by mistake this morning, was only supposed to be testing it out. Working nights now really tired! Loved every minute, you've really nailed the Ultimate Doom feel. I even found the secret stage, I don't normally try to hard for secrets but you did such a good job of teasing me with the obvious half closed door and that helipad that I couldn't help myself. Thank God you put an automapper in an easy secret though, great design.

I was surprised a little that the difficultly seemed pitched around iwad level, used to everyone making hard maps. Played the episode on HMP with no deaths so going to restart on UV and just hope Ep 4/5s not too hard when I get there. Been dusting off the old doom1 iwad a few times lately, it's been a great year for it.

24 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

I was surprised a little that the difficultly seemed pitched around iwad level, used to everyone making hard maps. Played the episode on HMP with no deaths so going to restart on UV and just hope Ep 4/5s not too hard when I get there. Been dusting off the old doom1 iwad a few times lately, it's been a great year for it.

The difficulty is intended to be similar to the original Doom games. UV is a bit harder. When you reach E2M7 you may have other thoughts.

18 hours ago, D.Vile said:

This poor Pinky in E1M5 is poorly placed and cannot move.

DOOM0000.png.74b3a8b7d9172d1167de8ec7d6f1bdec.png

Poor shaved gorilla. He still however has an appetite if you get too close to him. I had no issues here but will double check this area and maybe move a zombieman (aka former human or former soldier) out.

Awesome work as usual, I like how you managed to design these big maps, yet retain the oldschool D1 feel in many of them. I played on UV in GZdoom 4.8.2 and I noticed some problems:

E2M6: there are two secrets sectors around the blue armor, I think one would suffice.

E3M7: isn't sector 111 supposed to be secret?

E4M3: lost souls can't fly in through windows in red key/cyberdemon arena.

E4M4: radsuit 177 doesn't lower down to the acid when the trap activates, then it looks like it's hanging in the air. It needs to be farther from sector 88 or sector 541 needs to be larger.

E5M2: mastermind can become stuck when you shoot it from below, particulartly with the BFG.

There are irregularities when exiting the bonus maps. Exiting E1M10 triggers the E1 ending text, but all other ExM10s transport the player to respective maps that follow after ExM9s.

Working my way through in order. Just finished E2 and I have to say that so far this is bloody excellent. Bravo on pulling off such a great Ultimate Doom boss map with E2M8!

I recall playing 2002 ADO with Complex Doom, might have to do the same with this one. I enjoyed the maps, even if they got really grindy towards the end.

7 hours ago, pcorf said:

Poor shaved gorilla. He still however has an appetite if you get too close to him. I had no issues here but will double check this area and maybe move a zombieman (aka former human or former soldier) out.

After testing this map on a couple different source ports and settings, I have concluded that this particular Pinky only gets stuck if you play on anything below complevel 7 (Boom). My first playthrough was on Crispy Doom, so I didn't realize this. My bad!

16 hours ago, D.Vile said:

After testing this map on a couple different source ports and settings, I have concluded that this particular Pinky only gets stuck if you play on anything below complevel 7 (Boom). My first playthrough was on Crispy Doom, so I didn't realize this. My bad!

I have fixed it (in E1M5) already, was slightly stuck in the wall so I rearranged the monsters. @Caleb13 thanks for your finds I will sort them out in the near future. Esp E2M6, E4M2 and E5M2. (Rebuild nodes in E5M2 using BSP-W32 as Zennode can cause monsters to get stuck)

Otherwise I think the majority of problems are out of the way, really starting to look good.

Might attempt to do the final nodebuild with ZokumBSP just before the final idgames upload. That's if I can figure it out.

Edit: I cannot download ZokumBSP, website is broken.

Edited by pcorf

14 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

There are irregularities when exiting the bonus maps. Exiting E1M10 triggers the E1 ending text, but all other ExM10s transport the player to respective maps that follow after ExM9s.

It happens because the secret exit to E1M10 is located on E1M8 - you can complete the episode immediately by using the regular exit from E1M8 or you can extend it a little bit by finding the secret exit. But exits to ExM10 maps are located on ExM9 in all other episodes - this is what @pcorf intended.

Taking this opportunity, I would like to ask that the transition from E1M8 to E1M10 also be accompained by an intermission screen - if it is possible to do it, of course. 

2 hours ago, RaRu Des2122 said:

It happens because the secret exit to E1M10 is located on E1M8 - you can complete the episode immediately by using the regular exit from E1M8 or you can extend it a little bit by finding the secret exit. But exits to ExM10 maps are located on ExM9 in all other episodes - this is what @pcorf intended.

Taking this opportunity, I would like to ask that the transition from E1M8 to E1M10 also be accompained by an intermission screen - if it is possible to do it, of course. 

I have mostly sorted E1M8 to E1M10 out in both the UPAMINFO and MAPINFO. I'll upload the updated PB this Friday.

I've played through the 49 maps. It is in tip top shape outside of the reported UMAPINFO issues (that have already been fixed in the pending public beta 2). I can confirm that in gzdoom 4.8.0, that 100% K/I/S is possible (PCorf already knows this I think from his first post though). I did see a health item floating in the air on one map but forgot to note which map but will keep an eye out for it in the next beta. I even stumbled onto a couple of easter eggs:

Spoiler

I found 2 Easter eggs, one on E5M1 and the other E5M8. Not giving any other details since I don't want to steal 2022ADO's thunder.

10 hours ago, hawkwind said:

You didn't try the download link. It works.

I have it now, cheers.

Edit: I built the nodes of E3M3 and E4M2 using Zokumbsp (regular build) and what a difference it made. The small slime trails are still there but the maps play a lot more smoothly and you can wall run a lot more easily. There is also a setting where the enemies jump off walls and I found that quite funny.

Edited by pcorf

Almost done with E1, these are some great maps. Feels very much like 2002, but the layouts are improved. E1M7 was a ton of fun!

2 minutes ago, Pechudin said:

Almost done with E1, these are some great maps. Feels very much like 2002, but the layouts are improved. E1M7 was a ton of fun!

Yep it was intended to feel like 2002. E1M7 is one of my personal favourite maps and I must say it was an absolute blast creating that map. The large interconnected areas with constant action and techno tune playing in the background.

I have gone through E1 and E2 this evening and made some minor changes, mainly to the texture alignment and examining the maps to make sure there are no really bad slime trails. I found a couple in E2M5 in the underground dungeon area so I rebuilt the nodes using the good old BSP-W32 and it is all fine. The hidden E1M1 area in E2M9 now uses a sky transfer with SKY1.

Using GZDoom.

E1M5 ...

Minor, but line 197 could have been flagged "shown as 1 sided on automap" to hide the secret.

Also, a suggestion ... Why not include the Lost Souls in the kill count via Dehacked, since this is for doom.wad ?

E2M4 ...

1. T391 and 392 would only attack if attacked first.

2. I managed to jump to line 154, pick up the soulsphere, but not land on sector 40, which is flagged secret.

3. Pic of an Intel/Vulkan issue ...

Screenshot_Doom_20220921_164818.png

Edited by hawkwind