I've been developing a vanilla Doom II mod and sharing its progress on a forum over the past several months. The project is based upon a series that's popular in the community and it aims to make significant changes to the weapon selection with the addition of some new monsters. Feedback, for the most part, has been positive but, occasionally, I get comments from users strongly advising me to switch over to GZDoom due to how advanced it is.    I don't have any reservations about using source ports like GZDoom but I admit that my familiarity with them, especially in terms of modding, is pretty lacking. Part of the reason I started making Doom mods in the first place was because I was impressed with what people had been doing with just vanilla tricks and DeHacked. That was the side of Doom modding that I originally wanted to get into and read up on. With this mod nearing completion, I'm wondering if I limited my skillset and this mod's appeal by sticking to vanilla Doom.   I have conflicting feelings about this topic as I do want to address those concerns in some way but that would probably mean overhauling the mod in order to so. Since this mod is already so close to being done, I don't see changing ports as a viable option at this point. The only solutions I can think of is either creating follow-ups that use things like GZDoom and Decorate or, if it's possible, somehow adding exclusive features for modern source ports.   There is also a part of me that can't help but be a little frustrated by these requests. Outside of this community, it seems like the majority of Doom mods that the general public talks about anymore are things like Brutal Doom and Eviternity. In recent times, Sigil has been one of the few (limit-removing) vanilla mods that generated as much discussion and that was mainly because John Romero designed it. I get the feeling that plenty of people dismiss vanilla mods for their limitations rather than appreciating the creativity that goes into working around them.   On the other hand, I fully understand why I get asked to switch over to other source ports. The sheer complexity and number of possibilities granted by ZDoom ports is incredibly immense. It has allowed many projects to adopt identities more distinct from Doom by taking advantage of those features. It's arguably to the point where the capability of some modern Doom mods, to an extent, are comparable to the games being developed now. Considering the mod's source material has plenty of fans, I know these comments are meant as constructive criticisms that want to see it live up to the expectations that naturally come with it.   Does anyone here ever feel this way about vanilla modding? What are some ways to deal with this issue?