Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gougaru

If you could create any type of custom monster, what would it be and what would it do?

Just today I had an idea of having a 3rd variation of Hell Knights and Barons who'd wield a machinegun which would shoot a more damaging burst of fire than Strife's Acolytes, but would also engage with Baron's melee and missile attacks. Obviously a boss type enemy.

Something super flashy with tons of health, multiple phases, and several attacks. I.e: something that wouldn't feel out of place on an over the top fork mod for Complex Doom.

I'd like to have some enemies which behave drastically different from the standard roster, so completely different encounters could be created. The Archvile is such an enemy but it's only one. (There are others in other doom engine games, like Hexen's Heresiarch)

For example: A monster that becomes stronger (=has more health) when you shoot it. (Don't know if this is possible with Doom engine, perhaps with ZDoom? ...) It could be even unkillable by standard means, and only killable e.g. by splash damage, crushers, or infighting.

I would also like a weak monster class which takes damage at damaging floors, just like the player.

An undetectable computer virus that alt-tabs you out of Doom whenever you're in a difficult fight.

Either a mini-Arch-Vile (a Vile?) that can only heal/revive monsters or a fast-firing variant of the Imp (think of Realm667's Catharsi, without the grenade drop on death). Oh, and a new boss type monster to bring some much-needed variety from the usual Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind.

Idk if this counts, but I would like to add another variant for the thug from HacX. It would be more beefed up, wear a ripped up white tank top, and wield a Uzi. Of course it would have more health points.

How about a sniper zombie? It would have HP between a shotgunner and chaingunner, and it would fire a single, extremely powerful hitscan shot with a very low rate of fire. Its accuracy would depend on its distance - the closer it fires from, the less accurate it is. Also, when it dies you can grab its weapon.

Custom Monster eh? Well i did have an idea for a custom monster but i think it's already been done but i'll say it anyways:

My custom monster i would make would be called: The dark baron of Chton.

Monster type: Baron of hell reskinned with coal skin with crimson hands.

Health type: 3000 (They got to be beefy since they are walking walls of meat)

Damage type: Range damage - 9-68, Melee damage - 12-92 (Again they got to be beefy and hit like a train coming from hell)

Awaken sound: Don't know

Death sound: Don't know

What would it do?: The dark baron of chton would be like a mini boss fight. When awaken they step out of a shadow portal and scream at the player before launching a dark red fireball at the player. They move fast but not Arch-Vile fast, when you get to close to them they melee you with both of there hands at the same time and if your really unlucky they can legit tear you in half.

Once killed they turn into a pile of charcoal ash with some red pulsing through the ash, when walking over the pile you have a slim chance of either getting health out of it or reviving them as spirits. 

Now the spirits won't attack the player, but they will how ever screw with the player(s) mind and make them see things that are not there. Think of them as loki the norse god of tricks and demise.

That's my idea but like i said before this might of already been done before but i wanted to toss my idea out there just for fun.

A turret monster that you can catch and take with you and then place it anywhere you want.

For example, blue evil eyes from Magnolia - allowing the player to grab them and then place them at the position of their choice before the fight can make for a pretty interesting puzzle fights. Same for archvile evil eyes from Jumpwad - placing them in any position you can reach would allow some extreme platforming puzzles.

Doom engine unfortunately does not have any similar mechanics and I personally cannot imagine any Dehacked magic to do that even with spawners, so that's a purely theoretical idea.

12 hours ago, Ravendesk said:

A turret monster that you can catch and take with you and then place it anywhere you want.

Hedon's turrets can be used like that, and it runs on the GZDoom port. Can't recall if it uses Decorate or ZScript, though.

I just like filling out the ranks with more variants. There’s too little in the “tougher than imp, weaker than revenant, not a hitscanner” category in Doom’s lineup, ya ask me. That’s why “psycho imps” and “dark imps” and other such baddies show up in my projects so often. Sometimes while mapping, revenant fireballs are still too mean and hell knights are still too tanky for what I want!

I also love me some different flavours of Cacodemon.. Yum!

19 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

How about a sniper zombie? It would have HP between a shotgunner and chaingunner, and it would fire a single, extremely powerful hitscan shot with a very low rate of fire. Its accuracy would depend on its distance - the closer it fires from, the less accurate it is. Also, when it dies you can grab its weapon.

As much as I’ve heard people cry and pee about hitscanners over the years, this sounds like a way to guarantee frustration for most players. A ton of damage, out of nowhere, from an enemy I can’t see unfortunately sounds like the worst aspect of hitscanners, but multiplied. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Doom’s hitscanners (even if I still think the chaingunners are a bit too mean in terms of DPS.. thank the lord for WolfSS reskins!)

I have a "workbench" wad where I tinker around with stuff, with the intent to part it out and merge it with whatever map or mapset I'm workin on.  And I'd say my favorite stuff to mess with right now is "shock trooper" type flyers sorta like Doomkid's Flame Cacos.  Mobile but not super agile, moderately troublesome from afar, but terrifying up close.  Designed to force you out of defensive positions.

I also have a version of the Archvile that works like the ones in Doom Eternal like 3/4 done.  He's uh, rude.  Works surprisingly well, though.

Baron of Technology / Baronevant

Attack: Fires 3-5 Revenant Attack in quick succession (Homing missile are fun)
Monster Sprite: Similiar to Cybruiser (because it may mistaken as actual Cybruiser because same sprite & model)

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I just like filling out the ranks with more variants. There’s too little in the “tougher than imp, weaker than revenant, not a hitscanner” category in Doom’s lineup, ya ask me.

100% agreed. A common issue I run into is when a map places heavy enemies without giving you a heavy weapon. I do not enjoy having to shoot 6-8 times the stock shotgun to kill a mancubus, a hell knight or a caco, it takes too long. 

I would go for an enemy that would probably survive 3-4 stock shotgun hits that would deal similar damage to a hell knight or a cacodemon. I think it would allow maps where you dont need to quickly give the player a heavy weapon to have more interesting encounters.

The only thing i can come up with is: Small healer\ressurector enemy. Like Archvile, but not that dangerous, has no powerfull atack and have little health.
Throw it into background and this little shite will ressurect more powerful monsters if you don't deal with it in time

a Former Medic with limited VileChase that can only resurrect the other zombies (and maybe imps too). looks like a chaingunner only recoloured white w/ red crosses and a medic's bag instead of a chaingun. Pistol in her other hand for a single-pellet hitscan attack. I think around 80-100hp would be about right.

In Diabolus Dominus, I've made an SSG zombie that sits comfortably besides the chaingunner in terms of overall threat, but is a slightly different type of threat; they're barely more of a nuisance than standard shotgunners at range, but they pack significantly more of a punch than their little brothers in close range. Chaingunners have significantly more DPS, but when these guys shoot point blank, it can do a lot of damage at once. They have to reload after every shot, however, and also drop an SSG on death, so they're a great way to make a pistol-starting player have to earn an SSG the hard way while not being super unfair and unfun to fight. There were some concerns from people before they encountered the enemy that it wouldn't be fun to fight against, but it turns out to be a great complement to fights where a chaingunner might make it an in-fighting fest or snipe the player in unfun ways while still offering area of denial opportunities and lasting longer in a firefight than a normal sergeant. I was able to make this enemy replace the Wolfenstein SS without having to do crazy things like replace clips with SSGs or something.

I had also played around with some sprites provided on the forum with a Cyberdemon variant to serve as a solo boss that's a bit deadlier than the average one, as it has a second cybernetic arm with a chaingun. When it fires, it chooses one of two attack patterns at random: a quick burst of five missiles (fired faster than the normal Cyberdemon barrage) or a slightly less deadly version of the Spider Mastermind's chaingun attack. This makes it a lot more risky to run up and try to two/three shot with point blank BFG shots, forcing the player to do some risk assessment (while skilled enough players can still weave between its faster rocket attacks). However, I didn't like the way it fought alongside other enemies, as it either went infight crazy or just sniped the player unfairly from afar. In solo fights, it was pretty fun, though. I'd like to try rebalancing it for another project. (I'd also want to make it look a bit different so that it stands out from the Cyberdemon in both color and silhouette.)

Another thing I'd like to do is make a boss that summons other demons (probably using the codepointers for the Icon of Sin) but also walks around and has projectile attacks that it might use instead. Doom has a boss problem; most players simply aren't challenged by a single monster these days, but the Icon of Sin is usually such an uninteresting fight despite it doing something no other enemy in Doom is capable of doing.

Arch Vile Revenant cross.

A grey Arch Vile with glowing green eyes that attacks and resurrects as normal but it can also resurrect itself, Arch Viles, Cyberdemons and Spiderdemons. But also has the Revenant homing missiles attached to it. 1 in 16 missiles is a Lost Soul and 1 in 64 a BFG blast. The vile retains it's 700 hit points but has a triple pain chance 30.

Edited by pcorf

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I just like filling out the ranks with more variants. There’s too little in the “tougher than imp, weaker than revenant, not a hitscanner” category in Doom’s lineup, ya ask me. That’s why “psycho imps” and “dark imps” and other such baddies show up in my projects so often. Sometimes while mapping, revenant fireballs are still too mean and hell knights are still too tanky for what I want!

generally i'm for skillsaw's "glass cannon" approach. pyroknight, arachnorb, alien trooper, quick biting pinky and so on. you can deal with these monsters quickly, but they can also deal a ton of damage. the polar opposite of why low threat bullet sponges receive little love.