Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nash

DISDAIN - a brand new Quake-inspired FPS (DEMO OUT NOW ON STEAM)

Did you make this one in a week as well? ;P

This looks awesome, congrats! Wish listed it and sent the trailer to my friends.

32 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Did you make this one in a week as well? ;P

This looks awesome, congrats! Wish listed it and sent the trailer to my friends.

This is the one he made in 10 days, just way more fleshed out

1 hour ago, Codename_Delta said:

This is the one he made in 10 days, just way more fleshed out

I wondered if that were the case. Very cool!

Looks absolutely fantastic Nash! Both from a gameplay perspective, and from the incredible improvements you've made to the engine. The community would be a far lesser place without you.

I just stumbled upon ASKE, which seems to be trying to do something very similar to DISDAIN, and I am curious to know how the latter will differ from the former. Now, do not get me wrong: I am not trying to pit the games against each other and this world is big enough for the two of them. However, it is rather difficult not to compare the two, since they are both Quake clones/pastiches/homages.

- Disdain, being GZDoom-based, guarantees easy moddability day one. Infinite content and replayability is secured.
- Has coop and deathmatch day one (also because of GZDoom heritage). Multiplayer isn't tacked on as an after-thought; great care was taken to ensure everything is MP compatible (even since last year when it was Quake Clone in 10 Days).

- I have my own flourishes (special FX, visuals, sounds etc) that is different from the other game.

- My models are a bit higher poly than the other.

The two games are different enough in aesthetics and feel. Yes, both are inspired by Quake, but both are also doing things very differently.

Congrats on the announcement, Nash.

Looking forward to picking this up! 

"Planned Release Date: 1 August, 2050"

Absolute madman, going directly up against Final Fantasy VII: Just Hand Over Your Credits Again, Prole - Turbo-Holo Remixstered Deluxe.

@Nash Gotcha! Plus judging from the demo, ASKE seems to be very lacking in terms of options. There is not even an option to rebind controls! :o

Looking forward to feeling the opposite of disdain towards Disdain! :P

3 hours ago, Nash said:

(Start at 2:50)

We played a bit of deathmatch. It (mostly) works. :P

Most exciting bit aside from you getting pummeled is the semi-confirmed news that you are looking with a third party programmer to include client/server into the engine. (And you also have Edward around!)

Which incidentially excited me a great deal. Its remarkable how the current netcode holds up, but C/S in a modern GZDoom build is enticing for many.

Congratulations Nash!! Tons of hard work so far, and the game is looking incredible (I keep forgetting this is gzdoom haha). Can't wait to sink my teeth into the demo! Awesome showing at Realms Deep, as well :D

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

(And you also have Edward around!)

You must have either heard wrong, or I didn't communicate myself clearly, or misinterpreted (certainly a possibility, being a non-native-English-speaker). But no, Edward has nothing to do with this project. X)

(I meaaaaaan... teeeeeeechnically he did work on the ZDoom netcode after all, several years back, and the code is still in there and being used today,  so I suppose he can be credited for that. :P But what I mean is, no, he has nothing to do with Disdain directly)

2 hours ago, Nash said:

You must have either heard wrong, or I didn't communicate myself clearly, or misinterpreted (certainly a possibility, being a non-native-English-speaker). But no, Edward has nothing to do with this project. X

I swear i heard you say it. Oh well.

2 hours ago, Nash said:

(I meaaaaaan... teeeeeeechnically he did work on the ZDoom netcode after all, several years back, and the code is still in there and being used today,  so I suppose he can be credited for that. :P But what I mean is, no, he has nothing to do with Disdain directly)

Nevertheless i hope that C/S netcode idea you have been brewing becomes a reality - It could be well for many multiplayer ports out there!

10 hours ago, Nash said:

We played a bit of deathmatch. It (mostly) works. :P

Honestly looks really fun, I'll definitely be grabbing this when it comes out, as I am a deathmatch fiend of sorts.

1 hour ago, Dasha W. Frost said:

That looks awesome!!!

Also, I'll ask my favourite question: co-op?..

On 9/18/2022 at 7:04 PM, Nash said:

- Has coop and deathmatch day one

That was neat! I loved it! Aside from the lights (which I know are currently locked), are you able to share how you got the 3d platform working? It looked like the player was able to ride on a thing, but the last time I tried that the player would not hold friction to the object. Is this a new engine trick too?

2 minutes ago, SyntherAugustus said:

That was neat! I loved it! Aside from the lights (which I know are currently locked), are you able to share how you got the 3d platform working? It looked like the player was able to ride on a thing, but the last time I tried that the player would not hold friction to the object. Is this a new engine trick too?

The moving platform is using the most excellent 3D Platform Actor library by @FishyClockwork !