Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathWolf1982

Worst movie remakes you seen

There's the 2010 remake of A nightmare on elm street, the infamous 2019 Black Christmas remake, many of Disney's live action remakes, (Including The lion king 2019)

Child's Play 2019, which remake of a movie that sucked so bad that critics and audience bombed em up on Rotten Tomatoes,

what was the worst movie remake you seen in theatres or rented.

Also there's the 2013 evil dead remake i used to like but now i regret watching it, I'd watch the originals and ash vs evil dead instead.

It's a rather open ended question. I am fairly sure the ratio of good remakes to terrible ones is quite significant.

Robocop 2014, i've seen it in theaters, it was ok, kinda boring, and failed to capture the feel of the original film while standing on it's own merits as well. At least it was better than Robocop 3.

47 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

Robocop 2014, i've seen it in theaters, it was ok, kinda boring, and failed to capture the feel of the original film while standing on it's own merits as well. At least it was better than Robocop 3.

I thought it had it's moments. The scene which showed Murphy reduced to his "component parts" was brutally effective. The script felt like someone took a hatchet to it though (or it was badly edited) and the action needed more balls.

The Total Recall remake.

If you start rooting for the bad guys half-way through it it's a clear sign that something was very wrong. Kate Beckinsale as the villain was its only saving grace.

41 minutes ago, 7Mahonin said:

War of the Worlds. The 2005 movie sucks compared to the 1953 version. 

I really dislike the 2005 version, but since I've never seen the original I can't judge.

I watched a bit of that remake of Psycho a few years back and hated every moment of it, it felt so self-indulgent and unnecessary even by the standard of movie remakes. That was my impression anyway

I've not watched many since I'm not much of a movie guy, however out of the films I've seen the 2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is probably the worst remake. Something about it just completely misses the mark for me. I can appreciate them trying to go in a new direction and give Wonka a more fleshed out backstory, but it's done really weirdly and in my opinion pulls the movie away from the original premise too much. I've watched it twice and each time, there was a thought in the back of my mind that I'd have a better time watching the original. (I watched it with friends who decided to watch it, it'd be weird of me to say anything.)

Regardless of my preference to the 1971 film, it has some positives of it's own I enjoy greatly.

• Johnny Depp was a great actor throughout and gave his own spin on Willy Wonka, which was much appreciated. (Can't beat good ol' Gene though.)
  • The use of colours throughout the movie were brilliant in my opinion. All the props and sets throughout the factory were so vibrant and varied, it's awesome.

That's really all I can think of though. Still worth a watch if you havent seen it.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I thought it had it's moments. The scene which showed Murphy reduced to his "component parts" was brutally effective. The script felt like someone took a hatchet to it though (or it was badly edited) and the action needed more balls.

Indeed, that scene which showed was left of Murphy really drove the point, and one might say that Murphy not swearing during the process, and just exclaming "holy christ" over and over was a PG-13 trapping of the movie, but actually it was in-character for him, he never cussed in the original and the worst thing he said was calling Boddicker a slime. That scene felt like it was part of a proper remake. They had interesting concepts; such as several ED-209 patrolling the streets in Iraq, and the actors did their best with what they had to work with, guess it was it's wide appeal approach what botched this remake from the start, could have been worse though.

13 hours ago, Sonikkumania said:

Day of the Dead. What a shitty rip off.

In hindsight, Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is pretty terrible too.

By which I mean it suffers from basically the same problems as every Zack Snyder movie, in the sense that it is a really solid and watchable movie filled with some truly regressive messages that end up spoiling the experience. It becomes especially a problem when you look at it as a remake to the original Dawn of the Dead that does away with almost every thing that made it interesting. As such, I would say it is the worst remake I have seen.

Edited by Rudolph

Total Recall. The bait-and-switch with the "two weeks" scene was the only good part as it demonstrated a degree of self-awareness. The rest of the movie pales in comparison.

Same with Child's Play 2019, which they made Chucky into a murderous robot that was hacked instead of a possessed doll like the original movies.

Some of the characters are half-assed and unlikable Like Shane who abuses Andy Barclay, he gets his comeuppance from Chucky as a lawn mower cuts his scalp off (killing him) and landing on a garden gnome. chucky says This is for Tupac! as he skins his face off and puts it on a watermelon. the one i feel sorry for is Gabe the electrician as chucky killed him with Kaslan products (Including a table saw).

The Buddi song is somewhat decent and good with Mark Hamil's voice providing as Chucky.

this movie is a guilty pleasure of mine and I like it! since it was rented from a now closed video store named family video way back in 2019.

Edited by DeathWolf1982

On 9/26/2022 at 9:47 PM, Rudolph said:

In hindsight, Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is pretty terrible too.

By which I mean it suffers from basically the same problems as every Zack Snyder movie, in the sense that it is a really solid and watchable movie filled with some truly regressive messages that end up spoiling the experience. It becomes especially a problem when you look at it as a remake to the original Dawn of the Dead that does away with almost every thing that made it interesting. As such, I would say it is the worst remake I have seen.

Yeah it was pretty forgettable .. But DotD remake makes it look like a masterpiece, lol.

Well no, that is my point: Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is a rather memorable movie and that is a problem, as it is full of truly regressive messages.

58 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

as it is full of truly regressive messages.

Care to explain? It has been 17 years since I watched it and I do not remember any "regressive messages".

On 9/26/2022 at 10:51 AM, Stupid Bunny said:

it felt so self-indulgent and unnecessary

That's Gus Van Sant alright.

On 9/26/2022 at 1:21 PM, Spooner5020 said:

Easy Ghostbusters 2016.

There's a concept which could have worked with a few adjustments, but nonetheless was executed abysmally. Sony's marketing for that movie was some of the most obnoxious of all time, as well.

23 hours ago, DeathWolf1982 said:

Same with Child's Play 2019, which they made Chucky into a murderous robot that was hacked instead of a possessed doll like the original movies.

Oh man, that is lame as hell, the big appeal of Chucky is him being a bloodthirsty and crude bastard trapped in a toy. Turning him into a robot is the stupidest thing imaginable.

Fantastic Four 2015: cheap special effects, wooden acting, and bastardized story. It ended up being the final Fantastic Four film independent from the MCU, as its planned sequel was cancelled after the negative reviews of the film.

3 hours ago, Sonikkumania said:

Yeah it was pretty forgettable .. But DotD remake makes it look like a masterpiece, lol.

Its notorious how fickle the remakes for these George Romero films can be. I think that the Night of the Living Dead remake from 1990 could also qualify, in not that its a bad film per se, but it's pretty much a shot-for-shot retread of the original save for some twists that are few and far in between, so to call it unambitious would be an understatement.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

Care to explain? It has been 17 years since I watched it and I do not remember any "regressive messages".

I recommend watching Maggie Mae Fish's excellent essay on the subject, but basically, it is really racist and homophobic.

Also, unlike George R. Romero's movie, it is a straightforward action movie rather instead of a fairly introspective and satirical horror movie.

1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Turning him into a robot is the stupidest thing imaginable.

I have to disagree: in a world where everything is using smart technology and thus can be hacked remotely, it does make sense. Now, that in itself does not make the movie any better, but at least, it avoids the low-key racism of the original premise, which used a real-life religion mainly practiced by people of color to explain away the villain's origin.

On 9/26/2022 at 1:21 PM, Dub Bag said:

Jacobs Ladder 2019

WHAT? THAT EXISTS? WHAT THE ... NO ...NO ...NO... 

image.png.afbf6cfe35bf0d17be442960912b456e.png

the 2008 Death Race was just not good compared to 1975's Death Race 2000.

i tend to not watch film remakes as anything but a curiosity, especially if it is remake of old fun shlock.
**it's hard to not be disappointed at any sort of remake but it is fun to measure the varying degrees of disappointment.

Edited by heliumlamb : additional thoughts

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise is also very fucked, and tbh it's hard to say are some of those movies meant to be a remake or a sequel or a plain parody.