Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

I use the Unity Port on my Chromebook when I'm travelling or going mobile in another room in the evenings.  I do love it..  I guess my only complaint is when using mouse and keyboard on the chromebook, the aiming is still feeling like a controller.  I can't really describe it, it is very elastic and nearly impossible to play.  So I always just use a PS4 controller.  Great port though, 60fps locked on a crappy 32bit MediaTek ARM cpu.

22 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

In related news, the Bethesda Launcher is saying goodbye, games migrating to Steam.

Throwing in the sponge, eh?

Makes sense, it never did seem like they made a serious effort at making their launcher actually functional.

2 hours ago, Gibbon said:

I use the Unity Port on my Chromebook when I'm travelling or going mobile in another room in the evenings.  I do love it..  I guess my only complaint is when using mouse and keyboard on the chromebook, the aiming is still feeling like a controller.  I can't really describe it, it is very elastic and nearly impossible to play.  So I always just use a PS4 controller.  Great port though, 60fps locked on a crappy 32bit MediaTek ARM cpu.

Try turning off VSync.

There's some unavoidable input lag on Chromebook unfortunately, even comparing it to Delta Touch and other native games, I haven't found anything else that offered an acceptable amount of latency. Disabling/raising the FPS limit and disabling VSync will help.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:12 PM, SteelPH said:

Try turning off VSync.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:38 PM, sponge said:

There's some unavoidable input lag on Chromebook unfortunately, even comparing it to Delta Touch and other native games, I haven't found anything else that offered an acceptable amount of latency. Disabling/raising the FPS limit and disabling VSync will help.

Well damn, that fixed it.  No vsync and 60fps cap.  Feels like Crispy now.

Thanks to you both, I've never encountered input lag with vsync so I totally overlooked that!

On 2/18/2022 at 1:31 PM, Old-Doomguy said:

I haven't actually played Doom 1-2 on console since the BFG Edition. But this one is a solid console port?

They're great on PS4/5 and Xbox One/Series but regarding the Switch versions: there is significant input lag, to the point where I consider it unplayable but your milage may vary. Some people have more tolerance for it than others. Personally, I don't want to deal with it while battling through traps on UV Plutonia, so I stick to the Xbox version.

2 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

They're great on PS4/5 and Xbox One/Series but regarding the Switch versions: there is significant input lag, to the point where I consider it unplayable but your milage may vary. Some people have more tolerance for it than others. Personally, I don't want to deal with it while battling through traps on UV Plutonia, so I stick to the Xbox version.

I don't know which input lag you mean. I like the switch ports of doom and quake. But maybe Im just getting used to it?

5 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

I don't know which input lag you mean. I like the switch ports of doom and quake. But maybe Im just getting used to it?

As I sort of alluded to already, some people don't notice/experience these things.

I found it pretty validating when the PS and Xbox versions were eventually updated with a VSync toggle, for people to suddenly spot the difference in responsiveness after disabling it: especially on the base Xbox One.

If you don't have any issues then more power to you, wish I could say the same!

I mean, you do learn to adjust and compensate after practice, which I did, but that doesn't make it any less of a gameplay hindrance. It's just harder to get into a flow state when you are having to compensate for controls that are playing catchup with your movement and aiming.

Edit: I'm talking about the Switch ports of Doom and Doom II, as they are the subject of this thread. I can't speak for Quake or Doom 64 on Switch.

Edited by Cantleylads

On 2/25/2022 at 2:48 PM, Cantleylads said:

As I sort of alluded to already, some people don't notice/experience these things.

I found it pretty validating when the PS and Xbox versions were eventually updated with a VSync toggle, for people to suddenly spot the difference in responsiveness after disabling it: especially on the base Xbox One.

If you don't have any issues then more power to you, wish I could say the same!

I mean, you do learn to adjust and compensate after practice, which I did, but that doesn't make it any less of a gameplay hindrance. It's just harder to get into a flow state when you are having to compensate for controls that are playing catchup with your movement and aiming.

Edit: I'm talking about the Switch ports of Doom and Doom II, as they are the subject of this thread. I can't speak for Quake or Doom 64 on Switch.

I've only ever had input lag on consoles when I've forgot to activate game-mode on the tv. I've played Doom64 on the handheld switch, didnt notice any lag there. It actually feels smoother than on the PC - but these arent Unity, correct?

10 hours ago, Old-Doomguy said:

I've only ever had input lag on consoles when I've forgot to activate game-mode on the tv. I've played Doom64 on the handheld switch, didnt notice any lag there. It actually feels smoother than on the PC - but these arent Unity, correct?

Killzone 2 was an infamous example of having input lag baked into the game itself, it's not wholly dependent on the TV/monitor. More recently was Metro Exodus on PS4, though I haven't played that myself.

Yeah, I haven't played Doom 64 on the Switch, only the Doom and Doom II ports and for me at least, they both exhibit input lag which I consider to be far too much.

On 3/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, Lila Feuer said:

LOL idk how I missed news on the bethy launcher being removed but that's certainly an improvement.

Steam will be the new basis, right? What will this mean for consoles? Will then a Steam Launcher come for consoles, like for PS3 back then for Portal 2?

25 minutes ago, Kyle07 said:

Steam will be the new basis, right? What will this mean for consoles? Will then a Steam Launcher come for consoles, like for PS3 back then for Portal 2?

Uhh... No. None of this is what's going on. The only thing that's happening is the bnet launcher is being discontinued and people will have their games/funds transferred to their Steam account.

20 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

Killzone 2 was an infamous example of having input lag baked into the game itself, it's not wholly dependent on the TV/monitor. More recently was Metro Exodus on PS4, though I haven't played that myself.

Oh my God, i remember that so well.

It was sooooo annoying, never finished the Game because of that.

Played the third with my Cousin a few Years later for an Evening, i remember being surprised, that it was way better.

Btw. Bioshock had also such a Thing, but it was possible to edit a Config.

Haven't played it since, so i can't speak of the modern Versions.

On 3/7/2022 at 6:49 AM, Old-Doomguy said:

Doom/Doom 2 on consoles have nothing to do with Doom 64, though, so I don't think it's a good point of reference.

To answer your question, no Doom 64 isn't Unity, it's KEX engine.

Small bug report, I'm playing Plutonia on my PS4 (latest update and all), and Map 06 plays Doom 2's Map 06 music track, instead of Plutonia's "own" track.

Not a functional problem, but one that's probably very quick to fix whenever you get the greenlight to do another patch.

Beyond that, it runs as well as always, and I do eventually get past my muscle memory for the fixed control scheme. Begrudgingly ;)

Had another hiccup, but I'm not sure of if this is actually on Unity Doom's end.

Tried clipping some gameplay footage, and it tells me I can't upload 15 minute videos on YouTube without being verified. It didn't let me trim the footage first, and in spite of being verified in the past, no matter how many times I re-verified my YouTube account (which it always said was already verified), it wouldn't let me upload it.

This is most likely on Google or Sony's end, but through some searching I saw it suggested that this exact behavior could also be because of an error on a game's part.

The fact that I couldn't seem to later upload it manually from my PS4's harddrive suggests to me that it probably is something with Playstation Network (because that makes sense to me, but I'm no software dev). I figure it could be worth noting, either way.

5 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

This is most likely on Google or Sony's end, but through some searching I saw it suggested that this exact behavior could also be because of an error on a game's part.

The most any game can do is disable captures entirely or automatically take them, but nothing in-between. So no, nothing to do with the game.

Before I forget, I wanted to post this about modding new maps into the steam version of the Unity Port, which varies with updates it seems. The main reason why someone would do this is to play maps in local split-screen, otherwise community source ports are much better.

To do this I downloaded "Plutonia" from the add-ons menu (it could be any add on really). Then I found the "\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs\" folder. Its location varies a lot, so I used Windows' File/Folder search to find it. Within this folder I found the "2" folder, for Plutonia, and the "2" file. This extensionless file is the Plutonia WAD. So I changed the name of my custom WAD to "2" and deleted the ".wad" extension, and replaced the existing "2" file. This allowed me to run the mod when I selected Plutonia from the add-ons menu.

Here is a video of One Humanity being played in COOP by being modded in the above way:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Can’t you just drop your wad into the \WADS\ folder and run it that way?

Correct. I have no idea why @Immorpher is replacing files, you never needed to do that. Please do not follow that guide, it's very very wrong.

15 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Correct. I have no idea why @Immorpher is replacing files, you never needed to do that. Please do not follow that guide, it's very very wrong.

It's because I couldn't find a guide online which lead me to the proper directory that worked. So I had to trial and error it. I hope that helps give you an idea why I did it this way.

6 hours ago, Immorpher said:

It's because I couldn't find a guide online which lead me to the proper directory that worked. So I had to trial and error it. I hope that helps give you an idea why I did it this way.

You could have just asked.

16 hours ago, Immorpher said:

mlj7tDo.png

G5T6GdI.png

19 hours ago, Kinsie said:

mlj7tDo.png

G5T6GdI.png

It wasn't in either location on my computers. Which is why I mentioned in my post the location varies. For example here are the locations I found....

My laptop: C:\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs\
My PC: C:\Users\[username]\OneDrive\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs\

Right, the location varies (based on how you configure your documents folder), but the method is identical and the instructions remain the same: Simply toss a WAD into that folder, you didn't have to replace any files at all. Nor should you ever.

Hello.

Is there a way to have multiple addons active in Unity Doom?

I would like to be able to apply perkistian's high quality SFX wad in concurrence with for example SIGIL.

Currently I was only able to have 1 addon active at a time.

@sponge ?