Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

Q: Does someone know where to find nerve.wad once I've installed it? All I can find is doom2.wad and extras.wad among WADs and credits nerve.mp4 and logo nerve.mp4 among anything related to what I look for.

A: The answer in this post is actual for Unity port from Steam and Epic Games Store:

Found the required file at: C:\Users\User\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs\3

Edited by Dimon12321 : Cannot delete the post, so let it be with an answer

The easiest way to get NERVE.WAD is by installing Doom 3 BFG edition (now given for free to people who own a copy of Doom 3, if I understood the news correctly). You can find NERVE.WAD by opening the game's install directory, and looking inside the base/wads folder.

So cool to see Revolution! I was just making a list the day before this dropped of late 90s, early 00s stuff I have yet to play and this was on that last.

I'm playing it on Switch now and this difficulty level is perfect for me on UV on this platform. I'm not very good at Doom as it is, but I'm *terrible* at it using dual sticks. This and Anomaly Report have been a real treat. 

3 hours ago, Goody said:

So cool to see Revolution! I was just making a list the day before this dropped of late 90s, early 00s stuff I have yet to play and this was on that last.

I'm playing it on Switch now and this difficulty level is perfect for me on UV on this platform. I'm not very good at Doom as it is, but I'm *terrible* at it using dual sticks. This and Anomaly Report have been a real treat. 

Make sure to check that Vertical Sync (V-Sync) isn't turned on in the options, as it can add quite significant input lag.

2 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Make sure to check that Vertical Sync (V-Sync) isn't turned on in the options, as it can add quite significant input lag.

Oh, this is the Switch version. I'll keep that in mind though for the occasions when I do play the Unity port on PC. 

11 hours ago, Goody said:

Oh, this is the Switch version. I'll keep that in mind though for the occasions when I do play the Unity port on PC. 

It caused input lag for me on the PS4, so it might on the Switch too, the option probably exists there as well.

Didn't understand what was happening at first, did I just really suck, had all my GzDooming made me soft? No, my inputs were just delayed a lot, so even if I reacted fast enough in theory, the signals didn't reach Doomguy in time.

Turning off VSync (and maxing out turning speed) made an enormous difference, it's basically like playing the game on PC.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, sponge said:

MAP33 ended up crashing the engine and had to be cut, thought it would handle any lump names but apparently not!

I've passed this on to the team handling the GOG launch, but don't know if this was intentional or not. Thanks for the report!

I found out Map 33 onwards don't work when I ported a bunch of classic megawads manually while testing out the unity port; you can get a hacky workaround almost all of the time by designating Map 33 as 'ML1' in both the wad and the DMAPINFO

unknown.png?width=1246&height=701

Here I have Memento Mori 2 with its two bonus maps as a second chapter, for a total of 34 maps. I did the same with D2TWID, Hexsoil was accessible from Map 2 and went back to Map 3 from a ML1 renamed map perfectly fine. Its strange that Map 33 doesnt work, when the Doom 1 variant allows E1M10, E5Mx etc.

Also, gotta high five @Tristan and @Varis Alpha for getting their music on the port. We might not have a Revilution on there, but a Revolution will suffice ;p

....it made me grin like mad when I heard the Forgotten God theme playing in the official engine :D

7 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

It caused input lag for me on the PS4, so it might on the Switch too, the option probably exists there as well.

It doesn't. Switch:

Spoiler

2022082115534400-2D2DD5427221CE0F9F97275FAAF2BD60.jpg.b959e076c169cb8b19cff9b7ff9faa27.jpg

Xbox:

Spoiler

8-21-2022_3-55-12_PM-ef5ji4vw.png.855f48d9de63d853444486465375a3a6.png

I suspect it has to do with a Nintendo policy of some sort regarding games published on their platforms, because no game released on the Switch (that I know of) has the ability to turn off VSync. Come to think of it.. I could be wrong, but I believe this also applies to any game ever released on any console since the Nintendo 3DS, and this includes the mini consoles.

28 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

I suspect it has to do with a Nintendo policy of some sort regarding games published on their platforms, because no game released on the Switch (that I know of) has the ability to turn off VSync. Come to think of it.. I could be wrong, but I believe this also applies to any game ever released on any console since the Nintendo 3DS, and this includes the mini consoles.

They do not.

47 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Interesting, I guess they figured the feature wasn't worth the time for the Switch version.

From what I understand, it's a limitation in Unity itself on Switch lacking a way to control vsync.

20 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

From what I understand, it's a limitation in Unity itself on Switch lacking a way to control vsync.

Huh. So does that mean it's missing entirely on Switch, or that it's always on and you can't do anything about it because of hardware/software reasons?

I'd imagine always on. I don't think it's a hardware limitation given it's not a limitation of Nvidia Tegra or it's drivers.

Excellent. I learned some things about the Switch port today. Now I can just blame v-sync for not being able to perform half as well as I can on a PC

It's a couple days old already, but I thought it'd be nice to share this fun video celebrating all the WADs that've been recently added to the Unity port. I hope this symbiotic relationship between the Unity port and the community continues to thrive and help give people's work greater exposure to the gaming scene and show people what modern Classic Doom has to offer.

9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I'd imagine always on. I don't think it's a hardware limitation given it's not a limitation of Nvidia Tegra or it's drivers.

Oh, that must be incredibly frustrating on the dev side.

6 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

It's a couple days old already, but I thought it'd be nice to share this fun video celebrating all the WADs that've been recently added to the Unity port. I hope this symbiotic relationship between the Unity port and the community continues to thrive and help give people's work greater exposure to the gaming scene and show people what modern Classic Doom has to offer.

I’m never going to get over how cool this is. Growing up as a kid playing Nintendo consoles and Doom as totally separate entities, it blows my mind that I can play community-made Doom stuff on my Switch during my lunch break.

I actually just got done beating Revolution! this way. Good stuff. Keep it comin’

2 hours ago, Goody said:

I’m never going to get over how cool this is. Growing up as a kid playing Nintendo consoles and Doom as totally separate entities, it blows my mind that I can play community-made Doom stuff on my Switch during my lunch break.

I actually just got done beating Revolution! this way. Good stuff. Keep it comin’

I couldn't agree more. When I was a teenager playing through a copy of Doom 3: Limited Collector's Edition on the original Xbox that my brother borrowed for a time from a friend of his and having a good time playing with classic Doom whenever I need a breather from having the crap scared out of me and it's amazing to see these games brought to modern systems like this (after the patches) and provide so much content for newcomers and longtime fans alike, especially thanks to all the curated mods being offered to players which is a great way for console players to experience what the community has created over the years. It's really frustrating though to see the PC version of the Unity ports still much derision from Steam forums and some other places from anti-Bethesda clowns and elitist PC snobs because heaven forbid if these games aren't played on anything but GZDoom according to them. While I still think there could be more room for improvement and some things could be fixed with these ports, I'm having a pretty good time with these ports making it easier to play classic Doom in a more modern context. I don't regret double-dipping for these ports again when I snagged them up for a sale on Xbox to have access to them for both my brother's Xbox One and natively on PC through the Xbox App for the cloud-saving support (though I'll probably switch over to the GOG version when I clear through some of the achievements).

3 hours ago, Goody said:

Back in my younger days people would make fun of PC games getting ported to console even if there was fundamentally nothing truly wrong with it.

I'm glad we're (mostly) beyond those elitist views now and can appreciate accessibility no matter the system. If the game works, it works.

On 8/22/2022 at 12:57 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

Huh. So does that mean it's missing entirely on Switch, or that it's always on and you can't do anything about it because of hardware/software reasons?

It's a shame because the input lag is worse on Switch than on PS4/Xbox One (w/ VSync). I, personally, find the Switch versions unplayable.

Hard to complain as it's not like sponge didn't try. Apparently they did reduce the Switch lag slightly in the final patch, so I dread to think how bad it was before I played it.

9 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

It's a shame because the input lag is worse on Switch than on PS4/Xbox One (w/ VSync). I, personally, find the Switch versions unplayable.

Hard to complain as it's not like sponge didn't try. Apparently they did reduce the Switch lag slightly in the final patch, so I dread to think how bad it was before I played it.

I guess it's just in-line with how Nintendo continues to disappoint me in various different ways these days, but that's a lengthy subject for another thread.

One can just hope that this is something Nintendo will address one day.

1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I guess it's just in-line with how Nintendo continues to disappoint me in various different ways these days, but that's a lengthy subject for another thread.

One can just hope that this is something Nintendo will address one day.

I don't think this has anything to do with Nintendo, as previously stated there's no apparent limitation with the hardware. This is likely a Unity limitation.

Question, is this so called "input lag" in docked mode? I never noticed it on the switch lite which is stuck in handheld mode and I wonder if there is a difference. Its either that or I'm too busy playing to notice a difference.

16 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

Uhh.. do you know the specs of your TV? Is this in docked mode? Because as someone who plays fighting games regularly (I'm not a pro, I just like them), I'm very sensitive to input lag and I can tell you the Switch on handheld mode has some degree of input lag but it's too little to be bothersome. My TV is also pretty decent for gaming (in game mode it has 8-10ms of input lag, which is pretty acceptable), so even in docked mode there's really little input lag, and it boils down to the perpetual 4 frames of input lag the Switch has, which is around 1/15th of a second and therefore barely perceptible.

What kind of Controller are you using and do you have other Stuff connected wireless to the Switch?

The Switch seems to have a really awfull Bluetooth Device.

If i use my 8Bitdo SN30 pro and a Bluetooth Headphone, the Controller has a awful lag.

If i use the Headphone and the Joycons, there is not as much lag (but i can't play Doom or Quake with those, hate it).

If i use the 8Bitdo Bluetooth Dongle while using Headphones, logically no Lag (but strangly a much bigger Deadzone for the Sticks on the Switch, isn't as big on the Pc or Mister).

By the way, I wanted to report a bug in the Xbox version. I was playing just now, trying to get the achievement for beating the game in under 2 hours, and I played all levels in order starting from E1M1 as fast as I could, and I got the achievement upon beating E3M5. I didn't even get to complete the entire game lol. I'll try to see if the same happens in Doom 2.

The achievement is based on the cumulative best times of all the levels individually, not of a single run, as I understand it. So you can do the levels in any order, and it'll pop once you have every level combined under 2 hours.

The XBLA version of Doom had per-level leaderboards that this code will be based off of.

On 8/23/2022 at 2:08 AM, Cantleylads said:

I never really noticed any input lag on the Nintendo Switch Lite, however, the controller drift is really annoying, but of course that's entirely on Nintendo's hardware and not on the Unity port.

34 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

The achievement is based on the cumulative best times of all the levels individually, not of a single run, as I understand it. So you can do the levels in any order, and it'll pop once you have every level combined under 2 hours.

The XBLA version of Doom had per-level leaderboards that this code will be based off of.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

the controller drift is really annoying, but of course that's entirely on Nintendo's hardware and not on the Unity port.

If you have the right tools, and know how to work around to fix your electronics, it's actually incredibly easy to fix permanently:

55 minutes ago, hfc2x said:

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

If you have the right tools, and know how to work around to fix your electronics, it's actually incredibly easy to fix permanently:

I have to try this out if I ever get a Switch of my own and start running into this problem. Thank you for sharing this with us!