Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

On 10/17/2022 at 3:22 AM, Goddess Carrie said:

I'm sure it's probably far too late for this, but I would really love for an opportunity to have custom controls, including a bounded BFG button. Quake allows for infinite customization and I have every single weapon bound to a button, allowing me to be insanely proficient in both speedruns and deathmatch. It really is the best console port I've ever seen, it even has huuuge gyro customization, mine is so high I do a tiny movement and literally does a 360, which is needed for all the stuff speedruns need. Quake added many of these things, including much more button customization, AND literally multiplied the gyro slider by 16 AFTER the game launched... so I assume it's definitely possible. 

If not a BFG button, at least make it so double tapping Plasma switches to it...? I'm not sure why that's not already a thing... It really sucks having to tap the slow, slow, weapon wheel thing with the shoulder buttons to switch to the most needed weapon in the game...

Aso, a strafe button would be really appreciated. BTSX 2 map02 has an unreachable secret, the Supercharge in Blast Off in Syringe is unreachable, and Acherons Needle has some jumps that are so specific (Plasma route) that it takes forever to land them perfectly. I have put hundreds of hours into this port, I've UV maxed every level that allows without saving (well, I only got to the very end at Fireking Says No Cheating/Slamdance With the Sun God and died... still working on that) and these are just some things that would really make me happy... 

Man, I feel this post. A few of us have been requesting remappable controls and a more improved dpad quickswap system (one that includes all weapons like in the XBLA ports) for a couple of years now. We feel your pain. Having everything a mere button away on the Quake Remastered is excellent.

An option to map movement keys to the dpad would be wonderful for certain strafe running challenges.

As arrogant as it may sound, I honestly think that players who try to push themselves on the console versions of these games are a little rare, so whilst having the BFG easily and immediately accessible to someone who pistol starts later BTSX 2 maps without saves on UV really matters to us, it's not a big deal to a guy who buys these ports just runs through the original megawads a couple of times on HMP, with auto run disabled etc. It is what it is.

The best and most important thing we got IMO was the ability to disable VSync on most platforms.

Really loving the new Add-on release! Thank you to Sponge and the team at Id for continuing to work on the Unity Port. In my own headcanon, I've accepted that REKKR and Harmony are now in a shared universe (Revae and TVDV collab when!?!). 

I can't edit the Doomwiki, due to my only skills consisting of eating and resting. Maybe somebody who's better at Wiki editing could do this. I think all the custom enemies and weapons from the official add-ons should have their own Wiki pages. It makes the WADs these custom items came from feel more official, in my opinion. The custom weapons/enemies from HacX have their own individual pages, and the weapons/enemies from Chex Quest have pages dedicated to both their weapons and enemies. If I'm asking too much, maybe just changing some of the descriptions of weapons/enemies would help. I wasn't sure which weapons were which on the Harmony page.

Love to see the activity going on in the community!

I have seen Sponge here a bit when I lurked, I wonder if he's still around... I'm not sure if the rest of the community echoes this sentiment, but I would really love a nice, difficult, slaughtery wad to round off the Doom add ons. We have quite a bit of easier stuff, and don't get me wrong we have some nice difficult stuff, too, No End in Sight is probably the most difficult (I still cry that Sanctuary of Filth was removed...), but BTSX 1+2, Plutonia, they're all nice and rough to the player. But I would really, REALLY enjoy if we got a wad with a map that just plops you down with a BFG, launcher, and 1k+ enemies of all varieties in a huge arena. 

My point is, I think that the releases have definitely erred on the easier side recently. Give us something that'll make us UV max no save players sweat, and something that'll make others save every corner. Maybe I'm alone in thinking this. Another idea: contact Cyriak for his two wads, and release them one after another. Going Down is a great long one, and then... I think it's called Overboard? Going Overboard? I forget. That one is nice and short and compact. Just some ideas for stuff I'd absolutely love to see... 

Anyway, I really loved Harmony, it was a great play, and the two bonus maps were a treat, featuring the most high octane action in the entire wad in map13. Spoiler: spoils a tiny bit of the combat. 

Spoiler

I couldn't believe when I stepped out of the elevator to see two Centaurs running around. Really, that whole arena blew my mind. Quite the amazing encounter. Every single enemy in the game thrown at you, plus the new one, minus the Echidna. 

I am traditionally not a fan of TCs, I don't like REKKR much at all, though I do appreciate it. The combat is a bit boring, and the hyper realistic spiders absolutely disgust me. Eugh. However Harmony definitely blew me away, and it was amazing, I really can't believe just how much I ended up enjoying it after my initial first impression! I am sad it's over, honestly...

8 hours ago, Goddess Carrie said:

Another idea: contact Cyriak for his two wads, and release them one after another. Going Down is a great long one, and then... I think it's called Overboard? Going Overboard? I forget. That one is nice and short and compact. Just some ideas for stuff I'd absolutely love to see...

These are both Boom wads, so the chance of their inclusion is basically zero.

It would be cool to have a focused slaughter-y experience in Unity, but it seems like the most it will get is the bits of slaughter that sometimes find their way into wads that have a different kind of focus. Arrival definitely ticks some of those boxes.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:03 PM, Chip said:

Really loving the new Add-on release! Thank you to Sponge and the team at Id for continuing to work on the Unity Port. In my own headcanon, I've accepted that REKKR and Harmony are now in a shared universe (Revae and TVDV collab when!?!). 

I can't edit the Doomwiki, due to my only skills consisting of eating and resting. Maybe somebody who's better at Wiki editing could do this. I think all the custom enemies and weapons from the official add-ons should have their own Wiki pages. It makes the WADs these custom items came from feel more official, in my opinion. The custom weapons/enemies from HacX have their own individual pages, and the weapons/enemies from Chex Quest have pages dedicated to both their weapons and enemies. If I'm asking too much, maybe just changing some of the descriptions of weapons/enemies would help. I wasn't sure which weapons were which on the Harmony page.

Love to see the activity going on in the community!

I definitely echo Carries sentiments. Would love a really tough WAD. However, I do completely get it if they don't (I think ID probably want something approachable for any player to keep engagement up much like the whole rebalancing affair for Doom Eternal). 

Alternatively, I'd love to see some of Doomkids WADs get some love. Thinking of the recent Jamal Jones Community project. I can imagine some of the MIDIs would need to be replaced to avoid Copyright issues but it would be a great addition as there are so many recent Community contributions on it. I'd imagine every participant would be delighted to have it added

On 10/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, Maribo said:

These are both Boom wads, so the chance of their inclusion is basically zero.

It would be cool to have a focused slaughter-y experience in Unity, but it seems like the most it will get is the bits of slaughter that sometimes find their way into wads that have a different kind of focus. Arrival definitely ticks some of those boxes.

I see, I'm not too aware of the port differences, so my apologies on that. I think it's too early to say that... I don't see why they wouldn't think of adding some slaughter esque wads. Doesn't have to be full slaughter, maybe like Hell Revealed. That's a historic wad. But I also understand that I think it'd be either a nightmare, or fully impossible to get the rights to (I think that's the wad where someone passed away right?). It could be a wad like that, where it isn't necessarily full slaughter but still is really hard. 

Regardless, all I'm asking for really is a challenge... AR super secret map, BTSX 2 secret map, Go 2 It, BTSX Tough Skin River, these all are just so fun to go back and play... there's been enough wads for the doom newbies. Give us veterans something to sweat to... 

18 minutes ago, Goddess Carrie said:

I don't see why they wouldn't think of adding some slaughter esque wads.

It has to be able to run on the Switch with decent performance. While it's not like trying to run it on ZDoom, it is still running on a 1GHz ARM64, the CPU is doing all the rendering and there's no multithreading. There isn't exactly performance to spare, and sprite masking is already causing problems in other wads.

21 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

It has to be able to run on the Switch with decent performance. While it's not like trying to run it on ZDoom, it is still running on a 1GHz ARM64, the CPU is doing all the rendering and there's no multithreading. There isn't exactly performance to spare, and sprite masking is already causing problems in other wads.

Mobile, too! Although a lot of modern smartphones are more powerful than the Switch, there are probably a lot of weaker phones out there that have to be catered to, especially in Android land.

I wonder how well my ports run on mobile? Would be great if I could play them on console, but thats just not happening :p

7 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Although a lot of modern smartphones are more powerful than the Switch

Weird enigma with that one; Technically yes this is true on paper until the thermal throttling kicks in. Even with modern phones, a lot of that CPU performance is left on the table once you try to run anything long term. It's basically the Macbook problem.

5 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

I wonder how well my ports run on mobile? Would be great if I could play them on console, but thats just not happening :p

Well you can sideload on Android much the same as you can on PC.

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Never thought that the Switch might be the bottle neck, since all wads are playing great on the Switch.

But I get the point. There are even wads, where I have very bad performance with a Corei5-2500k. Elementalism for example is a great GZDoom Wad, but I cannot play it with a acceptable framerate.

So yeah, big maps and many sprites might be too much for the Switch. I forget fast that we have here a limit-removing port and not the original game from the 90s.

As I never downloaded a slaughter map, I'm not sure if these are running even well on my Corei5-2500k.

2 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

Never thought that the Switch might be the bottle neck, since all wads are playing great on the Switch.

Some BTSX2 maps chug at times on UV.

16 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

Some BTSX2 maps chug at times on UV.

Ahh okay. BTSX1 would be actually the next Unity addon I would like to play. I'm playing in the release order of the addons for the unity port.

Its some time since I played the last addon.

I have sometimes the feeling, that Unity Doom AND Quake 1 are having bad performance on the Switch. I wonder, because I saw YT-reviews claiming, that Quake 1 on the Switch has constantly 60 FPS.

I suspect currently that the issue could be V-Sync? But I'm not sure. I was playing on my old 1080p Medion Monitor from 2009. Maybe now the games will behave better on my Samsung 4K TV from 2020. You know, the devices nowadays have something like Nvidia GSync or FreeSync. But so far it is only a theory from my side and I need to play more on my big TV (which was turned off for a half year due to apartment movements).

Am I the only one who has weird stutters in DOOM and Quake on the Switch?

Don't know how it behaves in portable mode, where these games are running in 720p then. Would be another possibility to check if it is game related or screen related this issue.

On 10/24/2022 at 2:55 AM, Devalaous said:

Yeah I wondered if somehow I could use them on Switch by taking the SD card out and putting in my PC then just adding one of your ports in the add-ons folder. I've not bothered trying though, sure Nintendo have conveniently named all the folders as completely random numbers so people can't mess with them. I'm also sure if it was possible I'd have heard something by now but it would have been great if it did.

16 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

Yeah I wondered if somehow I could use them on Switch by taking the SD card out and putting in my PC then just adding one of your ports in the add-ons folder. I've not bothered trying though, sure Nintendo have conveniently named all the folders as completely random numbers so people can't mess with them.

It's not that the folder numbers are "random numbers", that's not a security measure. It's that the packages are encrypted with an asynchronous key. You can't modify them without changing the encryption, and without the private key you can't repack them. Also add-ons are stored in internal memory on your user save data, not to the SD card.

16 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

I'm also sure if it was possible I'd have heard something by now but it would have been great if it did.

See you already knew the answer before you asked the question. :P

On 10/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, Kyle07 said:

Am I the only one who has weird stutters in DOOM and Quake on the Switch?

Never really on Doom. Well mayyyybeeee I remember it slowing down in a crazy part of Doom2… but I can’t say for sure. 

I have had frame drops on Quake. Nothing that lasts for long and it’s nothing I can reproduce. It’s also kind of random when it happens (ie: I’ll get smooth 60 fps when circle strafing and lobbing grenades at a group of monsters, but it’ll dip when I go down an empty stairwell). 

Would be nice to see HacX on there, but its too much of a legal landmine. Not to mention that there is no definitive version out there to this day.

Personally, I would like to see Chex Quest (3) becoming an official addon one day. I know that back in March 2020, there was a post over the ZDoom forums regarding Charles Jacobi trying to contact Graf Zahl and Enjay because they both helped with Chex Quest 3 and apparently, he was contacted by id software at that time, though nothing came out of the deal to this day. I remember this was discussed on this topic as well, on page 19 to be exact.

I think Chex Quest 3 could really benefit to be re-released (possibly with the 20th anniversary episode Galactic Conflict bundled in as well?) and being available to consoles, rather than being a ZDoom exclusive wad (it also comes bundled with an outdated 2.3.1 version of ZDoom, though nothing stops you to copy chex3.wad into your ZDoom 2.8.1 folder). If Harmony (which also used to be a ZDoom exclusive wad) can get re-released, then so can Chex Quest.

Anyway, if Chex Quest won't get added next, then I would like to see the following wads being added one day (I made sure these are all possible candidates):

The Classic Episode (E1 and E2)

The Darkening (E1 and E2)

Dawn of the Dead

Plutonia 2 (if all authors are reachable)

Wonderful Doom

Reverie

Alpha Accident: Terra Nova

Nihility: Infinite Teeth

No Sleep for the Dead

Lunar Catastrophe

Bourgeois Deathmatch

The DTWID series would have also been nice to be added but due to Megalyth passing away last summer (RIP), then these won't be added.

47 minutes ago, FistMarine said:

I think Chex Quest 3 could really benefit to be re-released (possibly with the 20th anniversary episode Galactic Conflict bundled in as well?)

HOW DID I MISS A NEW CHEX QUEST MOD?

On 10/24/2022 at 2:31 AM, Edward850 said:

I play the switch myself, so I know about the limitations. It can take on Fire King Says No Cheating/Slamdance with The Sun God, which has absolute masses of enemies. There's also stuff like Anomaly Report secret map, featuring giant clouds of cacos. That runs fine too. I've found it's more about the map and sectors involved than the enemies. For instance, Anomaly Retribution from No End In Sight actually caused my switch to *crash*, and it features only 600~ enemies, none of them too amassed, but it does feature very intense, complex structural work, and a giant map. Tough Skin River main fight is also something I'd classify as slaughter. And again, it runs that just fine. I could easily pick out more examples but these are the first that comes to mind. You'll notice Sanctuary of Filth was excluded, as well, because of an issue with the sectors being too tall--nothing about the enemies. I have played every map the game has to offer on switch, uv max, so I think I have some experience on this... 

My point is, the slaughter esque maps could easily be stuff like this. Fire King/Slamdance in particular gets absolutely ridiculous with the amount of enemies on screen at once. I think you'd be surprised at how well the Switch handles this game. 

I'm not asking for stuff like Chillax or Slaughtermax. Merely stuff like Archipelago from Going Overboard, small maps with 300~ enemies all attacking at once. Difficult maps. It's cool getting easier stuff like Revolution (good wad I did enjoy though) but I really just want a difficulty bump. That's really all I'm asking for, doesn't even have to be slaughter. 

Edited by Goddess Carrie

5 hours ago, FistMarine said:

If Harmony (which also used to be a ZDoom exclusive wad) can get re-released, then so can Chex Quest.

Harmony used very few ZDoom features. I think it was MAPINFO (reimplemented in Unity as DMAPINFO), MP3 music (made irrelevant by the MIDI pack) and sprite scaling (worked around by just shrinking the sprites down).

On 8/19/2022 at 7:30 AM, Garlichead said:

Here's all Revenant100 posts I could find related to comparisons, ordered via Unity release date: 

Updated with the new release.

Nazi IWAD stuff

No Rest For The Living

Sigil and Arrival

Double Impact

No End In Sight

Deathless

Back To Saturn X - both episodes
REKKR

Doom Zero

Syringe

Earthless: Prelude

Anomaly Report

The Revolution

Harmony, TV Notes

Updated index

Edited by Garlichead

Stupid question but I don't suppose there is any news of a bug fix patch being released soon for all storefronts that have these sourceports? 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, Gregg Rules said:

I wish they would at least say something, like "we are working on bringing add-ons first" or "we're still working on it"

Seeing how not even Steam has gotten the newer builds from GOG/Epic Games Store and the issues being ignored with the latter storefront's version of these ports for months since reporting these issues, I'm beginning to doubt they'll ever be fixed, much less updated with some quality-of-life suggestions on this thread and elsewhere... Even the BloodRayne 1 & 2 remasters recently got Achievements support on Steam while the Doom Unity ports none of that outside of the Microsoft Store/Gamepass version for those who want Achievements.

3 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

Seeing how not even Steam has gotten the newer builds from GOG/Epic Games Store and the issues being ignored with the latter storefront's version of these ports for months since reporting these issues, I'm beginning to doubt they'll ever be fixed, much less updated with some quality-of-life suggestions on this thread and elsewhere... Even the BloodRayne 1 & 2 remasters recently got Achievements support on Steam while the Doom Unity ports none of that outside of the Microsoft Store/Gamepass version for those who want Achievements.

Ah bugger. I don't suppose anybody in this forum knows how to edit unity files to enable noclip and see the entire map eh?

On 11/17/2022 at 12:35 AM, AmethystViper said:

Wait, the build on GOG is newer than the build on Steam? Which Id Software games does this apply to?

Edited by Danfun64

2 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Wait, the build on GOG is newer than the build on Steam? Which Id Software games does this apply to?

The GOG version of the Doom Unity ports uses a newer version of Unity than what the Steam version uses (presumably the GOG and Epic version are based on Unity 2020 whereas the Steam version is based on Unity 2018), which appears to have better frame pacing but apparently someone broke the classic cheat code inputs via keyboard and never bothered to fix it (among other issues and inconsistencies between all available PC versions) for all this time. If I recall correctly, Doom 64 also got a slightly newer build on GOG as well though some of its updates went back to the Steam version. Quake, on the other hand, never got its updated enhanced version released over there and it doesn't seem likely it will ever show up over there and it seems like one of the GOG forum moderators lied in order to get people's hopes up for nothing unless something changes.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:15 PM, AmethystViper said:

Quake, on the other hand, never got its updated enhanced version released over there and it doesn't seem likely it will ever show up over there and it seems like one of the GOG forum moderators lied in order to get people's hopes up for nothing unless something changes.

Unfortunately this is not new with GOG. This was the same for the 2015 Steam update of Star Wars KotOR II. It was promised, but never provided.

But it can be at least easily modded in into the GOG OG version.