Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Unity Port Thread - PS/Xbox/Switch/IOS/Android

On 10/27/2022 at 2:45 AM, FistMarine said:

The DTWID series would have also been nice to be added but due to Megalyth passing away last summer (RIP), then these won't be added.

Do you think it would be possible to replace their maps with some of the dozen of rejected maps from DTWiD the Lost Levels?

Also +1 to Lunar Apocalypse

10 hours ago, Agent Slacker said:

Do you think it would be possible to replace their maps with some of the dozen of rejected maps from DTWiD the Lost Levels?

Also +1 to Lunar Apocalypse

I was thinking at the same thing and was going to suggest it but I am not sure if they are allowed to replace maps from missing authors with other maps from other wads (or in worst case, delete the maps from the missing authors), just to legalize the wad in question. It would have been nice to have DTWID series added as official addons but I doubt it will ever happen, for the same reason old classics like the Memento Mori series and Requiem won't be added. I imagine if the idea with adding community works as official content happened long time ago when classic Doom games kept getting re-released, we would have probably seen more classics added as official addons. But despite that, I am still grateful for all the official addons we have gotten so far and I am looking forward to whatever comes next.

Also, did you mean Lunar Catastrophe? Lunar Apocalypse is the second episode in Duke Nukem 3D.

I can’t see the DTWID team agreeing to that. The Lost Episodes are maps that didn’t make the cut - that for one reason or another were judged to not be id-enough - and so to include them would undermine the project’s original creative vision.

That's just a subjective opinion, though. Personally I think there are several levels in the Lost episode which are more id-like than some levels in DTWiD.

I forget if this was suggested, but do you think it would be possible to have an add-on for the modified Jaguar levels, similar to what Quake did with the N64 add-on?

Edited by Agent Slacker : I don't think nice sounds correct. Possible sounds better.

I find it more baffling that Quake's remaster gets more support with quality-of-life updates and accessibility features than the Unity ports of Doom does...

On 12/3/2022 at 2:59 PM, AmethystViper said:

I find it more baffling that Quake's remaster gets more support with quality-of-life updates and accessibility features than the Unity ports of Doom does...

The Doom port has gotten a ton of quality of life updates since it was released, taking it from “generally unplayable” to “quite a solid way to play Doom these days.”

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

The Doom port has gotten a ton of quality of life updates since it was released, taking it from “generally unplayable” to “quite a solid way to play Doom these days.”

True, but compared to Quake remastered, it's missing Accessibility features like an alternate font for the menus or the ability to rebind controls on console. Quake has a whole menu dedicated to accessibility, some of which could be added to DOOM.

I think you should consider that for Quake and DOOM there are two years inbetween, when they were released. DOOM was in 2019 and Quake in 2021. Who knows if Quake will get another Major Update? Maybe it was the last one.

Are both games having the same team behind for the updates or are they different?

8 minutes ago, Kyle07 said:

Are both games having the same team behind for the updates or are they different?

AFAIK the "team" for keeping both Doom and Quake updated is just @sponge.

They are also entirely different code bases. Not one thing is the same between them.

Don't know why it's uncouth to ask for a rebindable BFG button of all things... or other QoL things. Could you imagine not having a BFG button on PC? That's basically all I want at this point, along with more WADs. I don't care what other QoL updates happen, even if none... I just wanna switch to my BFG argh. I don't think that's a hugely unfair ask. 

And hey even it doesn't happen I won't be mad or anything, I'm very satisfied with the port for 99% of it. I am very, very grateful to play this amazing game handheld comfy on bed. 

On 12/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, Gez said:

AFAIK the "team" for keeping both Doom and Quake updated is just @sponge.

IIRC, Sponge updates Doom and Nightdive Studios update Quake. 

Not sure if Nightdive is doing much after the remasters release in 2021? The campaign is from Machine Games and the official addons should be from Sponge, right?

My understanding is that Sponge does all the updates but can yell at Kaiser and crew on a specially designated phone when needed.

3NgHkADl.png

Not sure if this has been asked before but is it possible to add a "re-start level" option to the pause menu. I like to pistol start and currently my options are suicide or quit to main menu and then level select and cycle round to the level I'd just reached. Both work but neither are particularly elegant. I might be misremembering but I'm almost sure this option was in the PSX version.

Edit : just after posting this I made lunch for my kids and told my son to pause his game. He was playing Doom 64 on Xbox and I noted this option is available in that, probably because it was originally a console only game. Seems odd though as that game seems made for continuous play at least if your doing the Unmaker/demon keys thing.

Edited by Wyrmwood

It's only been a couple months, calm down. It's only been two months since the last release. There was four months between Doom Zero and Syringe, and there was about nine months between Earthless and Arrival.

I’d just like to see these ports be supported long enough to get SIGIL II as a supported add on. 

Been playing Arrival on Switch and damn does performance drop a lot.

But that's not what got me interested, normally when the port is running well there's some noticeable input latency particularly on camera movement, it makes the game feel heavier than it should, but when frames are dropping like in the heavier maps in Arrival the input lag actually goes way down, to the point the game feels more responsive when dropping frames than when locked at 60 FPS.

I also had a few crashes in Arrival during big battles, which tend to happen after performance has heavily degraded, upon relaunching the game the performance goes back to normal but so does the input lag.

10 hours ago, dustarma said:

Been playing Arrival on Switch and damn does performance drop a lot.

But that's not what got me interested, normally when the port is running well there's some noticeable input latency particularly on camera movement, it makes the game feel heavier than it should, but when frames are dropping like in the heavier maps in Arrival the input lag actually goes way down, to the point the game feels more responsive when dropping frames than when locked at 60 FPS.

I also had a few crashes in Arrival during big battles, which tend to happen after performance has heavily degraded, upon relaunching the game the performance goes back to normal but so does the input lag.

Most users here somehow don't experience the heavy input lag on Switch, despite how significant it is.

There's a lesser degree of input lag even present on XSX with the VSync toggle (the screen never tears with the toggle deselected either). On PS5, the VSync toggle seems to fully function and the responsiveness is delightful, with screen tearing being a very small price to pay (and a much rarer occurance compared to PS4 and XB1).

I stopped playing the Switch versions a  long time ago, so I haven't tried most of the map packs there. That's really interesting, though. Do you experience screen tearing during those responsive, performance drops?

25 minutes ago, Cantleylads said:

Do you experience screen tearing during those responsive, performance drops?

I don't believe there's any screen tearing. There's also no option on the Switch version to turn vsync on and off. The performance can chug, and even cause crashes, which happened to me on E4M8 on NEIS.

Speaking of eccentricities regarding the Switch port, during the intro videos, I can press just about any button to skip through them, whereas on the PS4 and Xbone ports, I have to press the Cross or A button to skip them. 

20 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

Most users here somehow don't experience the heavy input lag on Switch, despite how significant it is.

There's a lesser degree of input lag even present on XSX with the VSync toggle (the screen never tears with the toggle deselected either). On PS5, the VSync toggle seems to fully function and the responsiveness is delightful, with screen tearing being a very small price to pay (and a much rarer occurance compared to PS4 and XB1).

I stopped playing the Switch versions a  long time ago, so I haven't tried most of the map packs there. That's really interesting, though. Do you experience screen tearing during those responsive, performance drops?

I don't believe I saw any screen tearing during performance drops but I'll keep an eye out.

3 hours ago, dustarma said:

I don't believe I saw any screen tearing during performance drops but I'll keep an eye out.

There's only screen tearing when you disable VSync (not available on Switch). It completely removes input lag on PS5, yet on XSX the lag is still present (though reduced) but there's no tearing. It's almost as if Microsoft is running it's own system level VSync solution for XB1 games running on XSX/S. For me, tearing is a very small price to pay for highly responsive controls! One of the best things about getting a PS5 recently is running these Bethesda ports without any extra latency whatsoever, as I did on PS4 Pro a couple of years back.

The VSync toggle was added as a means to cut down latency but for whatever reason this couldn't be added to Switch. It's almost besides the point you made about poor performance somehow lessening latency. I was just happy to see someone else acknowledge that it's even an issue, as many don't experience/notice it - which has always baffled me considering how rough it is on Switch.

So Arrival ist recommend to be played on different platform then the Switch? So far I enjoyed all community add-ons before BTSX and had good performance.

So Arrival I should better play on PC?