Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare2989

what weapon would you chose to put in doom if you were the creator of doom back in 93

So, i though i start a topic asking everyone what weapon would of you put into doom if you were the creator of it back in 1993 so ignore what guns we got now in doom and just add them ones you would have put in if you were Mr Romero or Mr Carmack 

Another boomstick with a ludicrous amount of barrels, that does a shit ton of damage, but is slow, impractical for small stuff and chews through your ammo.

I kinda think the Doom2 arsenal is pretty much perfect, so just add an SSG and I'd maybe give just a little more oomph to the pistol.

A weapon that can only shoot one shot with low ammo pick up and rare maybe even be used as a solid secret time to time that has the ability to kill anything at any range with one shot.

I would go back and add a type of grenade launcher, think about the quake rocket launcher. A weapon that has projectiles that tumble is something that would be super cool in doom.

1 minute ago, HeatedChocolate said:

Something in between the chaingun and pistol in terms of firerate, maybe a 3 round burst sorta deal a-le the Ashes Afterglow AR.

Yeah, i know doom did have an Ar in the beta but it would have been nice to have one 

I'd add a gun that does absolutely nothing but have something really cryptic in the game manual, so that years later a bunch of doom Youtube people will be making dumb clickbait theory videos about me predicting natural disasters or something.

Or I'd just add a flamethrower as a rapid fire stun locking thing, that sounds fun.

I'll be boring and say the SSG.

The way the levels were made, even taking in mind the more out-there designs the base game had, all guns have a function and cover almost every possible use case.

26 minutes ago, Sesamia said:

Probably this thing:

widowmaker.gif

I need that wad link, it looks amazing.

And my pick would be a railgun

A Barrel Dispenser

... or otherwise, some sort of similar "Fort Building" item that deploys destructible objects.  Or maybe deployable plasma mines that hover in place and do damage when tripped.  And if those landmines don't explode on contact outright, they spring and expand into a "plasma beartrap", a furthermore destructible shackle object with actual inertia in place of the previously hovering projectile, one whose spawned-and-stretched clipping box partially engulfs the enemy who triggered it, thus pinning their movement down.  And maybe that shackle (destructible) explodes on destruction just like a barrel in return. 

The initial active mine dispenser would probably be a mid-low range gun that fires projectiles which tapers off in speed and lands where you "toss" it.

Lots of creativity for the player here:  Toss an untripped mine in the middle of a room or directly into a monster if we're thinking simple; or bank it into a wall for a tiny insta-barrier; or stack several on top of each other active so that the expanding hitbox of the first one pops all of them together for one full explosion; or spread them out just enough so when one goes off, they all expand in-tact forming a chain-link fence; etc.

This item would be introduced in Doom 2 alongside the Archvile, Pain Elemental, etc. (and not 93 per thread title).  This is because that's when they were implementing bolder, fancier monsters that weren't just reskinned imps and shotgunners.

I would have totally replaced the pistol with a rifle that was more accurate (eliminating the need for Chaingun tapping and making the first weapon actually worth something) or perhaps a magnum that did a lot of damage but was slow.

Doom lacks a truly satisfying bullet weapon, the Chaingun does the part it plays well but it actually isn't that outstanding to be honest.

There's two ways I want to answer this.

One is the "if I know what I know now and traveled back in time" deal, I'd have a lot of the same answers folks have already been saying: Super shotgun, assault rifle (something between pistol and chaingun), flamethrower (the beta BFG and games which would come out soon after make this feasible for the time), grenade launcher, axe, things like that. I'd also consider other options in the Doom legacy since that could have potentially fit such as the soulcube (or something akin to it) and the freeze bombs (or something that would mechanically and temporarily stun enemies). I do wonder if gamers at the time could have handled weapons with an "alt-fire" as I think that could have helped keep the weapon count down.

Two is "if I was somehow a developer back then without knowing how Doom would evolve" (nevermind I'd have been 10, lol), my answers would probably be a lot wackier but also maybe not as fitting for the franchise as we know it. Things like "a trip mine you could place at designated spots" (maybe on barrels? Or parts of the map that already had certain linedefs?), or "a weapon that makes the targeted enemy aggro on other enemies" (a new state for infighting), or some sort of power glove that lets me push enemies and barrels around (alter the target's mass's magnitude down by 1 or something?)... stuff like that. Definitely more in the wackier tech/magic area, but probably would have jived with gaming sensibilities then.

I don't think I would've added any more weapons, though the SSG being in the original Doom, as well as the chaingunner, would've been nice. If it were me, I would've added a power-up that works much like Quad Damage in Quake, and some sort of item that is basically a berserk pack for the chainsaw. If anything, I would've made the pistol shoot faster, sort of like how the pistol in Duke 3D fires.

A reason for the pistol to exist - make the chaingun never accurate, the pistol always accurate.
also while I'm at it, fixing some of the small bugs like the ouch face and double closing blazing door sound, assuming we're going in with the knowledge of today.

Is hard, the Doom 1 weaponry is almost perfect (aside the pistol) and the addition of SSG in the second feels like it breaks that good balance IMO. Why you will use the Rocket Launcher if you has the SSG? Though, I'm the first to use the SSG the time I got it lol. 

Anyways, I will replace the SSG for a lever/bolt action rifle (Think in a winchester or an AWM), like in ZOMBIES TC, a Grenade Launcher instead Rocket Launcher (Although I think the 2 can stay without feeling unbalanced), and a Knife instead the Brass Knuckle.

Also I will modify the pistol to make it more satisfying to use and useful, like Eviternity or Factotum (Great gameplay mod based on Resident Evil with probably the most satisfying pistol I ever seen on Doom)

I'd make sure all slots have a second weapon:

Melee: already has two

Pistol: an energy pistol that is slower to fire and launches projectiles, but is much stronger

Shotgun: already has two

Chaingun: a DMR with a slow rate of fire, but with perfect accuracy and ability to pierce enemies, for long-range

Rocket Launcher: A grenade launcher to deal with enemies below you that you can't see (nothing more annoying than getting blocked and/ or melee'd without being able to fight back)

Plasma: A flamethrower that does extreme damage but has low range and burns through ammo (both literally and figuratively).

BFG: a demon weapon that uses tracers, doesn't do nearly as much damage as the BFG, but it sucks the life out of the demons and gives it back to you

4 hours ago, map11has2names said:

a fireman's axe.

Would you happen to have a link to the original sprites/sprite sheet for that? That axe looks great

On the topic of this thread, I always felt an alternate weapon for the rocket ammo would be nice. With mouselook a grenade launcher would be perfect, but that wasn't around until quake, so maybe something like the Phalanx in the Reckoning Quake 2 expansion - fires two small missiles at a time with a small delay between them, and while they have less splash damage than the regular rocket launcher, connecting both would deal more damage on a single target.

Sticky bombs / Pipe bombs that you can detonate at will.

Setting explosive traps and waiting your enemies to cross over them is the most satisfying thing you can do in a game

23 minutes ago, Savarin said:

Sticky bombs / Pipe bombs that you can detonate at will.

Definitely this.

A laser minigun that shoots beams or something like that. Would be cool if monsters had a specific death animation where they disintegrate too

Edited by phoo