Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Codename_Delta

[NO DEADLINE, AND SLOTS ALL TAKEN] Finer Doom: The Nominal Touches (TNT CP)

On 4/21/2023 at 10:30 PM, Heretic926 said:

Room on the first screenshot looks very good - blood dripping from corpses is flowing to sewage grates, medievalesque chain lift in the center, I especially like horizontal wooden beams framed with metal. I guess you haven't done any lighting yet, but overall nicely done.

yea doing lighting last after I detail everything otherwise will will get too messy.

2 hours ago, Eon Toad said:

I'm going to call this map completed now. All difficulties and co-op implemented. 

Map 24: Fallen Outpost

Midi: The Cathedral by Kevin Schilder from the Heretic soundtrack

Known bugs: none

Tested on: PRBoom+ and GZDoom

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0rige6xc6jgrp/24_-_Fallen_Outpost

For a map with a small monster count that was dang fun, limited monsters with decent challenge

11 hours ago, Eon Toad said:

I'm going to call this map completed now. All difficulties and co-op implemented. 

Map 24: Fallen Outpost

Midi: The Cathedral by Kevin Schilder from the Heretic soundtrack

Known bugs: none

Played it on UV - I think this would be a nice opener for the final third, rather than something in the middle of it. Archvile in the dark room with crates creeped me out, considering I just started the map and only had a shotgun. Final fight with spiderdemon and two archviles is well done. The music is surprisingly fitting. The only thing I can pick on is sloppy texture alignment in some places, but overall nice map.

Glad you guys liked it.

49 minutes ago, Heretic926 said:

The only thing I can pick on is sloppy texture alignment in some places, but overall nice map.

Do you happen to remember where? I should be able to fix that in the next day or two.

I think I'll have to drop MAP14, I've been hogging that slot forever and don't have much to show for it, so its only fair that I let it go now. Bit off a bit more than I could chew I think. Sorry and good luck! 

14 minutes ago, Somniac said:

I think I'll have to drop MAP14, I've been hogging that slot forever and don't have much to show for it, so its only fair that I let it go now. Bit off a bit more than I could chew I think. Sorry and good luck! 

Sometimes flats is inconsistent with textures, like top of the crates for example. Here's the screenies:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230424_145227.png.54881b395d50323d1d5c883c9853fb71.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230424_145214.png.1ab04f74683475e15d2d68dd29f8cd41.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230424_144734.png.a7e7b3ec117f1074c9dc538e0b1eb0ac.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230424_144641.png.75ab286a737ceb90745a30dba4bdf8cc.pngScreenshot_Doom_20230424_144152.png.acb54709af55d9c11fb1aa0af66df8ae.png

I’d like to take a shot at making a map for a community project, can I go for Map 28?

21 hours ago, Codename_Delta said:

Got it, similarly, I'm giving up on the 900000 long dev cycle that is Map 31, not getting anywhere with it.

May I take a look? I might do something with it, especially if it's a Egyptian-themed one.

1 hour ago, Heretic926 said:

May I take a look? I might do something with it, especially if it's a Egyptian-themed one.

I tried to do some chemical plant thing, and then I realised how unfeasible the idea was, then I made a starting room of something else, that I put some effort into.

@Codename_DeltaI don't know if I can finish it do the deadline (I probably wouldn't), but I started working on MAP31, if you don't mind. Since this is a TNT tribute, map is gonna be Egyptian-themed like Pharaoh or Anubis from Revilution. Here's a sneak peek:

Spoiler

image.png.f52255fc4426112ee08541561e3596b0.png

Sorry but I will have to drop out of this project, I don't think I have the time to finish my map. Good luck to all the mappers!

Here's a first draft of map 13, Containment Breach. Only single player UV implemented so far. Final version will have more lighting and detailing, a higher monster count, and some different music.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/eoje7ce67gufw/13_-_Containment_Breach

Made some texture fixes to map 24, Fallen Outpost

Level 13 is complete for all difficulties and co-op. Decided to keep the default TNT music for this map (Death's Bells).

Map 13: Containment Breach

Author: Eon Toad

Known bugs: None

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/eoje7ce67gufw/13_-_Containment_Breach

And some more minor texture fixes for Fallen Outpost

Also, my dumb ass just figured out the pun behind the project name. Well done.

Edited by Eon Toad

Apologies for going missing, I'm going through one of the shittest months ever atm as far as IRL is concerned, hence I haven't touched UDB for almost as long, either.

But don't worry, my map is 99% complete and there's time to polish off the final touches before the 1st of May actually ends, I just need some sleep after speedmapping most of my 30MC2 map in 1 day due to the same reasons I mentioned above.

Here's some shots as proof I've reached completion of the final room (red/green/gray area to the south), among other parts.
m51Vazm.png

ksyubRM.png
ipJ3zzB.png
zY2GlZK.png

Ok so here is progress of my map 29. (start).

FNTNTMap-Progress-01.png

Of coruse this is work-in-progress screenshot so some things may change. 😉

it's freaking done, finally!

https://mega.nz/file/W0lAlDBS#67zGuYgWy5t66FmSN-KJABDP0mqYJhmMKZugqMOajXI

Everything is in working order, I just need to scale difficulties and add a custom MIDI.
I didn't add a MIDI yet because during testing the default track has kinda grown on me.

Map Name: Disaster Area L
Author: knifeworld
MIDI: coming soon, perhabs
Difficulty settings: None yet/UV only, will add 'em soon
Ports tested: DSDA-doom 0.25.6, with -complevel 4
Coop and DM starts: Will add soon, not tested at all

I'm thinking of scaling down the difficulty a lot because it's more like a light slaughter map right now.
I'm also not sure where to put a BFG, or if I should add one at all. Playtesting and totally brutal and very evil feedback will be greatly appreciated!

On 5/2/2023 at 2:11 AM, knifeworld said:

it's freaking done, finally!

https://mega.nz/file/W0lAlDBS#67zGuYgWy5t66FmSN-KJABDP0mqYJhmMKZugqMOajXI

Everything is in working order, I just need to scale difficulties and add a custom MIDI.
I didn't add a MIDI yet because during testing the default track has kinda grown on me.

Map Name: Disaster Area L
Author: knifeworld
MIDI: coming soon, perhabs
Difficulty settings: None yet/UV only, will add 'em soon
Ports tested: DSDA-doom 0.25.6, with -complevel 4
Coop and DM starts: Will add soon, not tested at all

I'm thinking of scaling down the difficulty a lot because it's more like a light slaughter map right now.
I'm also not sure where to put a BFG, or if I should add one at all. Playtesting and totally brutal and very evil feedback will be greatly appreciated!

This map reminds me of Speed of Doom in terms of visuals, but gameplay... Scaling down the difficulty is absolutely good idea.

There's no way you can survive in the first room, there's just too many monsters and too little ammo to deal with them. Yeah, it's cool that you've placed boxes of rockets and megaarmor in monster closets so the player certainly would die, trying to grab them from 8 revenants, 2 cacodemons, a pain elemental, a baron of hell and an arachnotron, while constantly being perforated by chaingunners and archivile, all of that in a small room.

I checked the map under protection of godmode - other fights are the unbalanced mess too. Also there's a softlock somewhere in the map.

Here's an update. I was going to post it yesterday, but it was getting late and I kept noticing extra visual bugs or incorrect textures.

https://mega.nz/file/Stkm3YBL#4ra2WLP48ukoX7wGjhxY8yL51v6j1IewHWgO6E3Cqw4

Difficulty changes implemented for each difficulty level.
Custom MIDI added: "The Hordes of Caoimhín" by Varis Alpha. From: The Wayfarer
Borked textures and lighting fixed in a few places.
Sound blocking improved or removed in some sectors.
First room is now less packed/hectic.

--

On 5/4/2023 at 11:32 AM, Heretic926 said:

This map reminds me of Speed of Doom in terms of visuals, but gameplay... Scaling down the difficulty is absolutely good idea.

There's no way you can survive in the first room, there's just too many monsters and too little ammo to deal with them. Yeah, it's cool that you've placed boxes of rockets and megaarmor in monster closets so the player certainly would die, trying to grab them from 8 revenants, 2 cacodemons, a pain elemental, a baron of hell and an arachnotron, while constantly being perforated by chaingunners and archivile, all of that in a small room.

I checked the map under protection of godmode - other fights are the unbalanced mess too. Also there's a softlock somewhere in the map.

Thanks for testing!

I know I'm the mapper... but I don't think it's that hard or too cramped in the first fight, it sounds like you just ran through everything and triggered every ambush at once.

You can easily SSG the archvile and first 2 chaingunners before even stepping past the crates, and the next bunch of gunners can be taken care of from behind those crates, you can even reopen the door and just leave the whole fight before grabbing the rocket launcher and pressing the switch that opens the bars blocking you from the outside.
Or, if you stayed in the room, you would've had plenty of space to rocket the revenants, and cause infighting, if you killed the chaingunners and AV before triggering the closets.

Anyway, I've added 4 extra rockets next to the RL itself, 2 extra stimpacks, moved some items in the closets so they should be easier to grab, changed the baron to a hellknight, and removed a grand whopping total of one revenant. This is already a bit more than I think needed to be done tbh, but it's not too big of a change so the fight is still somewhat challenging as intended.
If the project lead steps in and wants the difficulty dialed down even more in whatever fight, then fair enough, I'll do that. But for now I think this is fine.

I'm very curious how you could tell that other fights were "unbalanced" or "a mess" when you ran around with iddqd turned on after the first fight.
After the initial room, there's a lot of ammo placed fairly evenly and visibly, plenty of infighting opportunities, and several hiding spots with ammo and/or health.

Tell me where the softlock is? Instead of just saying "there's a softlock somewhere in the map"

11 hours ago, knifeworld said:

Here's an update. I was going to post it yesterday, but it was getting late and I kept noticing extra visual bugs or incorrect textures.

https://mega.nz/file/Stkm3YBL#4ra2WLP48ukoX7wGjhxY8yL51v6j1IewHWgO6E3Cqw4

Difficulty changes implemented for each difficulty level.
Custom MIDI added: "The Hordes of Caoimhín" by Varis Alpha. From: The Wayfarer
Borked textures and lighting fixed in a few places.
Sound blocking improved or removed in some sectors.
First room is now less packed/hectic.

--

Thanks for testing!

I know I'm the mapper... but I don't think it's that hard or too cramped in the first fight, it sounds like you just ran through everything and triggered every ambush at once.

You can easily SSG the archvile and first 2 chaingunners before even stepping past the crates, and the next bunch of gunners can be taken care of from behind those crates, you can even reopen the door and just leave the whole fight before grabbing the rocket launcher and pressing the switch that opens the bars blocking you from the outside.
Or, if you stayed in the room, you would've had plenty of space to rocket the revenants, and cause infighting, if you killed the chaingunners and AV before triggering the closets.

Anyway, I've added 4 extra rockets next to the RL itself, 2 extra stimpacks, moved some items in the closets so they should be easier to grab, changed the baron to a hellknight, and removed a grand whopping total of one revenant. This is already a bit more than I think needed to be done tbh, but it's not too big of a change so the fight is still somewhat challenging as intended.
If the project lead steps in and wants the difficulty dialed down even more in whatever fight, then fair enough, I'll do that. But for now I think this is fine.

I'm very curious how you could tell that other fights were "unbalanced" or "a mess" when you ran around with iddqd turned on after the first fight.
After the initial room, there's a lot of ammo placed fairly evenly and visibly, plenty of infighting opportunities, and several hiding spots with ammo and/or health.

Tell me where the softlock is? Instead of just saying "there's a softlock somewhere in the map"

I gotta admit - I was not in good mood that day and after 10 attempts to beat the first room I kinda snapped.

I'll give it another go and write a more comprehensive feedback for everything else on the map if I find some time. About softlock - I believe it was a room with table and chairs, the bars blocking the entrance after you enter it stay closed or I have not found how to exit that room ('cause I'm stupid sometimes).

4 hours ago, Heretic926 said:

I gotta admit - I was not in good mood that day and after 10 attempts to beat the first room I kinda snapped.

I'll give it another go and write a more comprehensive feedback for everything else on the map if I find some time. About softlock - I believe it was a room with table and chairs, the bars blocking the entrance after you enter it stay closed or I have not found how to exit that room ('cause I'm stupid sometimes).

No problemo, ty for giving it a go.

The softlock with the bars is fixed in the latest update. Turns out I used the wrong height for a control sector I made to force the bars to raise to a certain height.