Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

[GZDoom] MetaDoom - v7.1 "Ghost"

HOT DAMN this looks fantastic! I hate that I'm at work and can't play it right now, but just wait until I get home. 

(Update coming soon)

Can vouch for this. It’s the mod that actually got me to redownload Doom after not playing it for years. He does a really good job bringing together a bunch of different stuff and the way the difficulty ramps out makes it a massive improvement over typical randomizers.

3 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Can vouch for this. It’s the mod that actually got me to redownload Doom after not playing it for years. He does a really good job bringing together a bunch of different stuff and the way the difficulty ramps out makes it a massive improvement over typical randomizers.

Wait a minute, this mod has been out for a while now? How did I not catch that? Now I feel bad for now seeing this before now. Guess I'll have to play it all this weekend to make up for it... oh poor me. 

1 minute ago, Smoothandz said:

Wait a minute, this mod has been out for a while now? How did I not catch that? Now I feel bad for now seeing this before now. Guess I'll have to play it all this weekend to make up for it... oh poor me. 

I only just posted it on Doomworld for the first time right now, upon realising that maybe, if I try really hard, I can post my mods on two message boards. Different ones, even!

2 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

I only just posted it on Doomworld for the first time right now, upon realising that maybe, if I try really hard, I can post my mods on two message boards. Different ones, even!

Well, looks like it's my lucky day. Like I said earlier, I'm at work right now (working real hard as you can tell) but as soon as I can, I'll get this downloaded and play the crap out of it. With mods like this, keep-um coming my dude!

Oh! Also! Since Doomworld is traditionally more about maps than gameplay mods! Be sure to also check out Baphomet's Entryway, an incredible map showing off MetaDoom's mapper-centric functionality by the wonderful @DrPyspy! Exclamation points!

pgxEGWJ.png

Oh yeah, I should probably add that to the OP.

I really really wish there were more maps designed for gameplay mods and I've been pushing for it as hard as I can, with minimal success. There's been a couple, but mostly for mapper-specific mods like Supercharge. Which is great, but I'm greedy and want the love to be spread further!

I remember starting v666 without reading the description. My computer suffered from not being able to modify the blood volume and duration, and I assumed it was a heavy mode and turned it off. It was my fault for having to read it slowly then.
Now, by tweaking the options, it runs very well. It's still fun.

13 hours ago, Kinsie said:

I really really wish there were more maps designed for gameplay mods and I've been pushing for it as hard as I can, with minimal success. There's been a couple, but mostly for mapper-specific mods like Supercharge. Which is great, but I'm greedy and want the love to be spread further!

I do too, Kinsie! I'd really love to see some WADs developed with MetaDoom in mind similar to Supercharge. From my observations these past two years, it feels like Doom mappers and modders are too comfortable in their separate bubbles and need to come together more often to create some new, powerful Dooming experiences.

17 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I do too, Kinsie! I'd really love to see some WADs developed with MetaDoom in mind similar to Supercharge. From my observations these past two years, it feels like Doom mappers and modders are too comfortable in their separate bubbles and need to come together more often to create some new, powerful Dooming experiences.

My understanding, as flawed and mockable as it might be, is that gameplay mods mostly flow from the ZDoom Forums, while Doomworld tends to be more map-centric and Boom-centric, and there’s always been differences , both cultural and political (for lack of a better word). Lazy stereotyping? Probably! But some beautiful things could come of the two working together, and it’s a damn shame that it’s never quite come to pass. All I can do is the legwork in case the situation magically changes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Kinsie said:

All I can do is the legwork in case the situation magically changes.

And I for one applaud you for doing said legwork, mate.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:53 AM, MemeMind said:

Wait Metadoom is mapper friendly?

I gotta check that out now.

I wish more gameplay mods had mapper support.

Semi(?)-necrobump, but I feel like the majority of gameplay mods can be tailored with custom maps if the mappers are willing to. Maybe I'm wrong tho.

Edited by taufan99

On 10/1/2022 at 6:12 PM, Kinsie said:

My understanding, as flawed and mockable as it might be, is that gameplay mods mostly flow from the ZDoom Forums, while Doomworld tends to be more map-centric and Boom-centric, and there’s always been differences , both cultural and political (for lack of a better word). Lazy stereotyping? Probably!

In a way, it's useful and makes sense - we have one place that's 3/4ths "Maps of the boom, vanilla and LR variety", with the other 1/4th being gameplay mods, "fancy" map packs for (G)ZDoom and Eternity, etc - then on the ZDoom forums, there's more of a distinct focus on mods and ZDoom-centric mapsets (naturally) with some other stuff mixed in.

I really would like to see Doomworld and the ZDoom forums act slightly more as associates than we currently do. Just a simple "other Doom community resources" tab or section somewhere with the ZDoom forums and a handful of other Doom sites/forums, and having other forums do the same. It could definitely lead to more cross-chatter and cross-forum wad posting, at the very least..

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I really would like to see Doomworld and the ZDoom forums act slightly more as associates than we currently do. Just a simple "other Doom community resources" tab or section somewhere with the ZDoom forums and a handful of other Doom sites/forums, and having other forums do the same. It could definitely lead to more cross-chatter and cross-forum wad posting, at the very least..

It'd be nice, but let's be honest - it's about as likely as world peace.

a question for kinsie.

what's will be the future of zdoom forum after that drama ?

Edited by shaokahn68 : i forget somethings

On 9/30/2022 at 11:01 PM, Kinsie said:

Oh yeah, I should probably add that to the OP.

Wow, I've been sharing this mindset ever since I started playing Doom mods, good to know that the author of one of my favorite mods thinks alike.

Why not try to orgabize a MetaDoom community mapping project? These get people mapping really well.

2 minutes ago, MoiraHeart said:

Wow, I've been sharing this mindset ever since I started playing Doom mods, good to know that the author of one of my favorite mods thinks alike.

Why not try to orgabize a MetaDoom community mapping project? These get people mapping really well.

1.) I'm very bad at organizing things.

2.) I'm already trying to organize community involvement with Reelism 2 development, with limited success (see point 1)
3.) There's already a sackful of community projects in progress (like holy shit there's a lot of community projects) so IMHO there's not really a lot of people left who don't already have prior commitments dripping out of their ears.

4 hours ago, Kinsie said:

1.) I'm very bad at organizing things.

2.) I'm already trying to organize community involvement with Reelism 2 development, with limited success (see point 1)
3.) There's already a sackful of community projects in progress (like holy shit there's a lot of community projects) so IMHO there's not really a lot of people left who don't already have prior commitments dripping out of their ears.

to be fair, i feel like Reelism 2 community project could use a thread on doomworld (or maybe repurpose the old thread to add tutorials on how to set up one? it might help), right now there are 2 open UDMF formatted Community projects so i don't think yours would be invisible to the masses, that being said, Good UDMF maps do take a lot more time than the usual boom map, especially if you consider the level of quality yours are presented.

Also, sorry for not providing a map for it, i kind of lost motivation to work on it after while

Hello!
I am a fan of old doom and play different mods all the time.
This mod is great, I love it! But...

️There is one problem that causes severe discomfort - the sound of a plasmagun shot is very loud and there are frequencies between low and medium that tear headphones or speakers. Tested with different headphones and speakers. Because of this, I simply don’t use the plasma gun in the game 😢

Creators, please make the sound of the plasma gun not so loud and low. 🙏

1 hour ago, boxyp said:

️There is one problem that causes severe discomfort - the sound of a plasmagun shot is very loud and there are frequencies between low and medium that tear headphones or speakers. Tested with different headphones and speakers. Because of this, I simply don’t use the plasma gun in the game 😢

Creators, please make the sound of the plasma gun not so loud and low. 🙏

To be honest, here is many sounds are not balanced in volume, poor quality or overdrive, not only plasma gun.
But this is a fairly widespread problem. Many mod makers don't want or don't know how to work with sounds.
Just go to the pk3(pk7) archive and replace or change the sounds yourself. It's much easier and faster than waiting for fixes from сreators.

On 7/17/2023 at 1:36 AM, Doomenator said:

To be honest, here is many sounds are not balanced in volume, poor quality or overdrive, not only plasma gun.
But this is a fairly widespread problem. Many mod makers don't want or don't know how to work with sounds.
Just go to the pk3(pk7) archive and replace or change the sounds yourself. It's much easier and faster than waiting for fixes from сreators.

Or alter sndinfo and adjust volume accordingly, granted requires minor modding knowledge