Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreadopp

[Boom+UMAPINFO][Doom 2] Intergalactic Xenology Trilogy

It's here at last! The culmination of what we have been working on for almost 3 years in total. It's hard to believe it has been that long. The conception of this third part took place near the beginning of our work on IX2. Originally we were just tossing around ideas about making the series into a trilogy but it wasn't until further into IX2's development that we talked more about what to do with the overarching story. At that point we figured out exactly how a third part could fit in. IX3's development started not long after IX2's release. Originally IX3 was going to be a standalone release much like the previous two sets. However, we eventually took a look at what could be done with UMAPINFO and saw there was a way to define episodes. This made me wonder if we could combine all of the sets into one and, with a few more dehacked changes, that's what we did. That and the text screens allowed us to supplement the story we were trying to tell as well as add a bit more polish to the whole thing.

IX3 was not an easy thing to finish and I have renewed respect for people who can put together full megawads. We actually struggled quite a bit with level concepts and designs, moreso than either of the previous two parts and, for myself anyway, more than anything else I have worked on so far. We kept going back and forth on most of the maps trying to figure out whether what we had built really fit with the direction this series had ultimately gone. It is certainly in a different place now than where we started with IX1. We probably have enough scraped concepts and chunks of levels to make up 2 or 3 additional levels. On top of all that were the technical challenges. Most of the new levels get fairly close to Boom's hard limits and one of my levels started to implode quite spectacularly (I'm guessing due to some sort of nodes bug or limit). I also find myself more worried than usual about other aspects of the maps such as difficulty and potentially confusing layouts. Some of the levels also have gameplay that's a bit experimental. However, it's hard to know whether or not we have succeeded with only the two of us as play testers.

Despite the challenges of putting this project together, I am happy about how it has all turned out and I'm excited to see the project get released. As usual I look forward to hearing your thoughts and I hope you enjoy the journey!

The first two installments were superb! Does IX III start at map 11?

EDIT: Never mind, gonna replay this baby right from the start.

Edited by Firedust

Hello Dreadopp and Lord Z... wonderful to see you guys. When I get a chance I am gonna have a look at this. Screens look superb. :)

Sorry if I'm being dim, but does this release contain the previous two episodes too? As in, it's a complete release of 15 maps?

Also, Prboom+UMAPINFO should work? Or would you recommend GZDoom? Cheers and thanks for all of you hard work!

VERY VERY VERY Excited to see this! I will be playing again from start to finish, and look forward to the new maps, as well!!!

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :)

1 hour ago, nobleflame said:

Sorry if I'm being dim, but does this release contain the previous two episodes too? As in, it's a complete release of 15 maps?

It does indeed include the first two episodes. There is an episode selection menu with this release that will allow you to start whichever episode you want. If you start a new game with episode three (or go to MAP11), that is where the new maps begin.

1 hour ago, nobleflame said:

Also, Prboom+UMAPINFO should work?

Correct. That port is the main one we made the set for, but as long as the port you're playing in fully supports UMAPINFO, it should be fine.

Edit: There is a MAPINFO lump that is also included for ports that can use it.

7 minutes ago, Dreadopp said:
Spoiler

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :)

It does indeed include the first two episodes. There is an episode selection menu with this release that will allow you to start whichever episode you want. If you start a new game with episode three (or go to MAP11), that is where the new maps begin.

Correct. That port is the main one we made the set for, but as long as the port you're playing in fully supports UMAPINFO, it should be fine.

Edit: There is a MAPINFO lump that is also included for ports that can use it.

Thanks, mate :)

Tried to run it with dsda-doom and got this: 

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.3906105ef00cb5ec5b1cdc1bdb0cee54.PNG

NVM, It's my own stupidity. I'm not using the right IWAD lmao 

Sorry, that screenshot gave me an insane curiosity about how do you achieve the "slope" on the metal beams in boom format, so I had to download the wad and open it xD. I had hope you did some trickery I am not aware of. You got me with the simplest solution.

Spoiler

55cChAS.jpg

vsIVUqj.jpg

Does the last secret in map 11 require an archvile jump? There doesn't seem to be any path to climb on normally.

Whoa, map 12 was really cool. It was like Wormhole but with a twist!

Edited by Firedust

1 hour ago, Firedust said:

Does the last secret in map 11 require an archvile jump? There doesn't seem to be any path to climb on normally.

Spoiler

Look closely at the toe edge of the south shoe ;)

A bit over a year ago I started playing more Doom than I ever have before, and the original IX was absolutely integral to making me say, "Holy shit! Why haven't I been doing this my entire life?!".

Cannot wait to crack this one open!

i might check this out, but I don't want doom to consume my whole life, lol. but i don't necessarily have much on the docket for the next day or two.

Map 13 is effin fantastic. The concept is executed really well. Holy shit. Great job guys :D

Spoiler

the upside down one i mean. I think it's 13?

Oh, Hell yes! Loved the first 2, so I will definitely be checking this out soon. I'll replay the first 2 eps to check out the new changes too. 

Beat this over two evenings, stunning set of maps. The third episode was definitely the highlight, loads of cool ideas and visual setpieces across the board. Couldn't figure out how to access the secret exit though so had to idclev.

Edited by Firedust

Just took a break from the fairly exhausting uncut Map 29 of Hellbound to try out the first map of E3 and I think I get the hype! Cool little scattered detail and a seriously unpredictable initial Arch-vile encounter!

16 hours ago, Firedust said:

Couldn't figure out how to access the secret exit though so had to idclev.

Spoiler

That is actually how you are supposed to access it. This is because of a limitation of UMAPINFO, at least as far as I could tell. There didn't seem to be a way to have a nice transition from MAP15 to both MAP31 and the normal end of the episode. When finishing MAP15 normally, it would show the level entry screen for MAP16 before showing the text screen which looked like a glitch. Rather than trying to hack around that, we decided to incorporate cheating into the story. MAP11 actually has a hint about what you are supposed to do ;)

Just finished it. It was a nice trip down memory lane for the first 2 eps. Still as solid as I remembered. Though this newest ep is for sure you guys' best work so far. Fantastic scenery, really cool map concepts, great design. I absolutely love the visuals in this. Fantastic AA-tex usage all throughout. This may even be more visually appealing than AA itself! Maps 13 and 14 were my favs in pretty much everything from combat to visual design. I think I may have been looking for a harder final fight in map 31, since it appears to complete the story of these WADs, but that's not that big a deal. I did really love the opening to that map though; that was a really cool sequence. Fantastic stuff!

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

And thanks to everyone else for playing/checking it out as well! We're happy people are enjoying the journey. :)

Just finished it. (+brutal DooM mod, it seems I can't do without it ;-) )

Awesome. This is some very, very high quality mapping. Blame myself for troubling me too much with brutal doom (on UV), so some EvilMarines were so ultra-hard I had so save and load at some locations often - and twice even cheat myself through it.

Even without BrutalDooM it would have been pretty challenging, the tower top super-challenging, but the ride... marvellous! The landscapes, the atmosphere, the graphics, ancient styles and futuristic elements well mixed, otherworldly, the music... pretty much everything fits here. And you wonder if you're in some scifi movie, some LSD trip or... whatever. But a good trip, no matter what.

I'm really happy we have quality WADs this good, this made my past weeks.

5 out of 5 stars.

Can't for the life of me figure out the third (?) secret in map 11 (01 of the third part). See spoiler below for the ones I do have...

Spoiler

I've got the green armour, the soul sphere, and the mouse house secrets - can't find the last. Any tips?

On 10/23/2022 at 8:36 PM, nobleflame said:

Can't for the life of me figure out the third (?) secret in map 11 (01 of the third part).

Sorry for the delay!

Spoiler

It's inside the computer with the blue key where the Hell Knight is, overlooking the key itself. Look at the map and you should see a line that isn't solid.

12 hours ago, Lord_Z said:

Sorry for the delay!

Hide contents

It's inside the computer with the blue key where the Hell Knight is, overlooking the key itself. Look at the map and you should see a line that isn't solid.

Thanks so much!

Congrats on the release! I've played through the first 11 maps so far, and it's a fun set with great use of the AA textures (I'd already played episode 2 when it came out, but it's been a while). I did run into a softlock at the end of map 11:

Spoiler

During the "growing back to normal size" section, you can get stuck in one of the transition rooms if you try to move backwards. It happened to me by accident (I got disoriented and didn't realize what was happening), and it was pretty easy to reproduce. Not a big deal, but figured I'd let you know.

12 hours ago, SCF said:

I did run into a softlock at the end of map 11

Thanks for letting us know. That sequence is finicky but I'll see if there is a way to adjust it. Which port were you using by the way?

1 hour ago, Lord_Z said:

Thanks for letting us know. That sequence is finicky but I'll see if there is a way to adjust it. Which port were you using by the way?

Originally happened in GZDoom on Boom (strict), but I tried it in dsda-doom afterwards to make sure it wasn't an engine quirk and it worked the same there.