Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The 7:17 theory….

I have seen this mentioned throughout a few “Doom Tuber” channels. It’s regarding the end message in TAG 2. Which is this:

IMG_6377.jpg.f034d103613d934821859d78a5b00d00.jpg

Some are stating the 7:17 is a hidden clue to the release date of the next Doom game as 7+17 is 24…..as in 2024.

I honestly think folks are seeing things that are not there, and this theory is utter pish as that EXACT Corrax entry was used in Doom (2016).

Curious to see what anyone else’s take on this is. 

Edited by Eurisko

It seems like reaching, honestly.

In my opinion, a new Doom game should take a longer time to come out because:

* For the sake of creativity/new ideas and maybe just quality tweaks and ironing out bugs etc.

* In case it needs a new engine, since Eternal from 2016 is a jump from idtech 6 (still used megatextures) to idtech 7.

* Doom barely has that much consistency with releases, so some games have large time gaps between them.

* Doom also has different directions and iterations, so who knows if a Doom 6 would be a "sequel" or something else.

* Plus, whether or not id would prefer to make a new Quake or even a new IP.

I also expect a lot of said "Doom Tubers" to be the typical modern commentator Youtubers that "have something to say" and it's basic takes or material they got it from somewhere.

More likely it's simply a spoof on the "chapter:verse" structure of Bible quotations. 

I don't think id already knew which game they are going to work on when the codex entry was written.

I don't think id Software is working on a new Doom game:

• Quake 1-3 was their longest continuous IP game series and each of them was something very different. Quake was more a gameplay promise, Doom is very specific in story and setting.
  • Doom 2024 would limit their creativity since it's obviously a successor of 2016 and Eternal.
  • Doom Eternal, especially TAG 1 and 2, had some story flaws which id Software would have to deal with if they develop Doom 2024. Shifting from an abstract "man vs. evil" to an almost Greek like pantheon somehow scaled Doom from an epic clash to local politics. 

Most Doom games do have their differences, at least.

As for story, i guess it depends if you want to view Doom as a "story bound" series or not. (since modern Wolfenstein is a seperate timeline from other games to the point Old Blood retcons RTCW)

If a new Doom is another reboot, they could at least do things differently and not just out of a "we're sorry" way, but in a way just to experiment for a series that was usually experimented with.

Because trying to add a coherent story in Doom is more of an anomaly/off-pattern thing than it would be to ignore or contradict story stuff. (maybe this means that modern lore issues are fitting in a way)

I wouldn't stop the "Slayer games" from still happening, i'd just let that coexist with a different version of Doom, each with their own traits and ideas.

I mostly see Doom as a series that "can always be more epic" and had a history of reiterations from both the series and the fanbase.

But you can make an arguement about comic books having too many reboots, even if there's differences with Doom or game franchises in general.

"Corrax Entry 7:17" (and the quote itself) is from Doom 2016, specifically the opening text of the game. They re-used it in Doom Eternal's DLC because it's meant to callback to the beginning of that game (i.e. the Slayer being sealed away). The theory falls apart for that reason alone.

I do think id Software's next title is probably in 2024, but I think it's more likely to be Quake than Doom. Doom Eternal's DLC ending was fairly conclusive, they recently released the Quake remaster, and I imagine id Software wants to work on something other than Doom (as they have been working on that for almost 15 years now).

no need to look here for a deep meaning about the date next doom in 7:17 they reused it in tag 2 for one reason that there was one more parallel besides 3 seraphims with 3 hell priests and a sarcophagus in start and end that is, with the beginning of the doom slayer path in end of dlc, then that one of the doomtubers  said this is not proof, he should at least indicate the source about date of new game at least to make it a little plausible, otherwise these are empty words.

Edited by Wad overdose

1 hour ago, AtimZarr1 said:

they recently released the Quake remaster

While you're correct about id Software moving on to another project, as they were publicly posting jobs/help wanted notices regarding it a while back, I will note that the Quake remaster was mostly our project at Nightdive. We had 3 people (5 momentarily, to help with a specific task) from the id team total on board. So whatever the rest of the hundred(s) of employees they have are doing is something else entirely and wasn't sidetracked/derailed by that.

2 hours ago, Wad overdose said:

Close the topic this does not make any sense.

Backseat modding is not welcome, don't do it.

It's a long shot but I would love it if id software announces a heretic / hexen like game. I can see them utilise many mechanics used in recent titles into a first person action rpg with different classes.

16 hours ago, Chezza said:

It's a long shot but I would love it if id software announces a heretic / hexen like game. I can see them utilise many mechanics used in recent titles into a first person action rpg with different classes.

THAT would be cool. It may be a long shot but you never know…….

I think it's bullshit. DOOM ETERNAL 2 will be released in 2034 because I added up two numbers that a voice in my head told me to pull out of my ass this morning and multiplied them by 150, the maximum amount of armor that you can carry in DOOM ETERNAL, then I divided that number by a number that fell out of my ear and subtracted 912 for some goddamn reason, I was kind of drunk so I can't remember too well, then I added 2016 and subtracted 1993, the year of our Lord, split that number in half and then farted. It added up to 2033 so I added 1 and made it 2034.

10 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I think it's bullshit. DOOM ETERNAL 2 will be released in 2034 because I added up two numbers that a voice in my head told me to pull out of my ass this morning and multiplied them by 150, the maximum amount of armor that you can carry in DOOM ETERNAL, then I divided that number by a number that fell out of my ear and subtracted 912 for some goddamn reason, I was kind of drunk so I can't remember too well, then I added 2016 and subtracted 1993, the year of our Lord, split that number in half and then farted. It added up to 2033 so I added 1 and made it 2034.

This topic in nutshell lol.

On 10/2/2022 at 5:10 AM, Eurisko said:

Some are stating the 7:17 is a hidden clue to the release date of the next Doom game

They are correct. The game is actually launching at 7:17 PST tonight. Get ready.