Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
QuaketallicA

Genres of Cringe Comments Which Can Be Found Online

It seems like nearly every music video I look at on Youtube, if I make the mistake of veering south of the equator, down below into ye old comments section, there's usually a couple predictable kinds of comments:

1) The Fanboy -- OMG ____ is such a great group! Best thing ever! (Wow, fans are watching this video, who'd have thought that?! I would've guessed haters would flock to music they dislike).

2) The Nostalgic Old Timer -- Hey! I was there! Yep, back in 1606 I was there for the original live performance of Macbeth, killer set list that night.

and finally, the kind that makes me cringe every time

3) The "I'm a Kid and I Still Think This is Good," and, by corollary, the "Still Good XYZ Years Later!"

In the case of the former, shut the fuck up okay, nobody thinks you're special, you just look like a jackass. You have a taste in music. That is all that matters. Nobody gives a fuck what age you are.

In the case of the latter, what were you expecting? Music doesn't depreciate in value over time, the way automobiles, computers, or basic decency in American politics do. It's still going to be the same exact song 100 years from now; 10,000 years from now; a quintillion years from now, provided we can still listen to music then. So why on earth would you expect people's opinion of a masterpiece to be different today? Is there going to be a date on the calendar when we collectively wake up from artistic slumber and suddenly all think Stairway to Heaven is hot garbage? Music just gets more exposure over time, and if anything, it is a lot easier now to find more obscure, underrated bands and works that never got radio airplay or topped charts in their day, and people may rate those works more highly now. The great irony of course, is if a song really did become super dated and forgotten...you wouldn't be there commenting about it in the first place.

---------------------

My mini-rant over. Are there any kinds of predictable comment-tropes you find online that make you cringe? Share below.

Everything mostly from news outlet comment section to a social media meme post comment section. My guilty pleasure is lurking these said comments and just get amazed of how people just love to argue about matter X being actually Z.

One type of comment I just thought about : a typical ignorant statement, most commonly recognisable if the topic is any related to politics, where the poster adds nothing constructive but rather an unfunny engaging statement like "typical leftie/trumpist/incel action", you know what I'm talking about.

The fact you've discovered political idelogies that best suit your own views of the world doesn't give you any priviledge to behave like you are some second to God smartass with the solutions to every issue, it just makes you look like a dick and draws in like a magnet other smartasses like you.

1 hour ago, QuaketallicA said:

Are there any kinds of predictable comment-tropes you find online that make you cringe? Share below.

I used to get annoyed with predictable comments. Nowadays, eh, not so much. I think I realized at some point that I spend FAR too much of my time online to allow myself to be bothered by comments I've seen a million times. That isn't to say I'm never irritated by something someone says online, but the predictable comment tropes you describe (and others like them) are just something I've come to accept. The internet is somewhat of a collective intelligence that mutates and evolves over time, and you're going to see predictable patterns repeat themselves over and over again. With internet comments you just have to learn to parse through the bullshit to find the valuable things.

There's always that one nerd who feels the need to fact-check an offhanded joke or throwaway line in a YouTube video. I see them a lot!

2 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I used to get annoyed with predictable comments. Nowadays, eh, not so much. I think I realized at some point that I spend FAR too much of my time online to allow myself to be bothered by comments I've seen a million times. That isn't to say I'm never irritated by something someone says online, but the predictable comment tropes you describe (and others like them) are just something I've come to accept. The internet is somewhat of a collective intelligence that mutates and evolves over time, and you're going to see predictable patterns repeat themselves over and over again. With internet comments you just have to learn to parse through the bullshit to find the valuable things.

^ .

Lesson I wish I had learned at your age: Don't fear cringe, embrace it. We are all cringe, to be cringe is to be human. Let go of your fear of cringe, and be free. You will lead a cleaner and happier life in the process.

51 minutes ago, Pavera said:

Lesson I wish I had learned at your age: Don't fear cringe, embrace it. We are all cringe, to be cringe is to be human. Let go of your fear of cringe, and be free. You will lead a cleaner and happier life in the process.

This. You will one day realize that all the time you spent looking tough in the beholder's eyes, was just you putting an armor between yourself and the world. And you'll realize it was not worth it a single shred. 

YouTube comments just love to spout the same joke format w/ the same punchline over and over again. I promise you, do not go into the comments section of a Doom Eternal or D2016 video unless you wanna hear the same fucking annoying joke told over and over again that’s popular on r/Doom. Everyone wants to be a damn comedian and not share anything of actual value about the game.

Embrace the cringe, reject the angry.

Edited by Ozcar

Honestly it doesn’t bother me because I see far worse people in everyday life to the point I’ve become completely desensitized to it all. The only thing that sort of annoys me is that people seem to enjoy to argue at all times, even when there’s truly no end goal to be sought after. It’s just two or more opinions clashing until one person decides to leave the conversation. That, is by far more cringe than any of the examples you gave. 

• Good cringe is the kind of cringe people can laugh at.
  • Bad cringe is the kind of cringe that makes people think you are weird.

This topic is cringe. Feel free to decide what type of cringe this falls under.

Spoiler

I didn't laugh.

The Internet's a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage. And then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing.

6 hours ago, Pavera said:

Yep. I think life becomes easier to process once you accept that almost everyone is at least a little bit cringe sometimes. And that's okay.

Cringe culture is straight up unironically the cringiest thing ever to exist.

Ultimately the biggest cringe you can find is yourself.

No, really, reflect upon your past actions and presence and you will never sleep again, if you don't you've either achieved internal peace or a high level of arrogance.

5 hours ago, Redneckerz said:
  • Good cringe is the kind of cringe people can laugh at.
  • Bad cringe is the kind of cringe that makes people think you are weird.

This topic is cringe. Feel free to decide what type of cringe this falls under.

Hide contents

I didn't laugh.

While it's probably a pointless subject, that seems a little bit harsh.

I can't really add much, but let's try this.

Political comments that have the word 'libtard' in them as some sort of insult. Like you'd half-think the people who use that are being deliberately ironic because of the sloppy parroting their said 'points' are.

People in the comments for news stories/videos and such that express such "outrage" and "anger" about some story or another that has like zero effect on them, presumably for attention.

I do sort of stay away from this stuff these days as an over-30 person who's learned there's more things in life.