Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bengaltiger1

Vile Secret of Phobos

Greetings all. I present to you a short & simple map I made which is playable in any Zdoom based source port. I tested in both 4.5 + 4.8.1 and it worked fine. The theme is pretty standard classic Doom. However I think It's unique enough in areas to be interesting. Please report any issues if you find any via feedback. My main focus is to improve on gameplay from my last map, with a more solid balance, esp on ammo. And also to improve on lighting for more atmosphere.  I hope you enjoy :) Here are a few screenies

Due to a technical issue with DW , I can't delete the old link as I could before. The good news is the bottom link works with no problems.  

Screenshot (558).png

Screenshot (559).png

Screenshot (560).png

Screenshot (561).png

Vile Secret of Phobos.rar

Edited by Bengaltiger1 : Final Update. More Ammo + link

The balance was pretty solid here and I also think visually in parts, particularly the effort put into the lighting is commendable. 

A little bare in spots but overall It's decent fun to play. GG

It vanilla gameplay had a issue with Brutal Doom an error kept popping up and the game crash man 

good map mate love the psx lighting love the overall feel of the map could of done with more shells as i died to last archie and i not the best as punching stuff out in vanilla 

I can send you a screenshot over on discord the issue i had with BD

2 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

You did not have to send me a PM over this. :S

Maybe he is having issues with is thread so only way to get answers is from PM 

Fair enough. I was curious of the gameplay being balanced for you.  

I feel my request for feedback on this was reasonable. As It's different for some players than others.

I'll send no further dm 

decent - though have to admit I got stuck in the arachnotron area, past the red keycard door. I got into the pit where he was when I killed him, and cant seem to get out of it ! I dont know if I'm missing something.. I know the pillar comes up but im stuck! 

7 minutes ago, staros96 said:

decent - though have to admit I got stuck in the arachnotron area, past the red keycard door. I got into the pit where he was when I killed him, and cant seem to get out of it ! I dont know if I'm missing something.. I know the pillar comes up but im stuck! 

The pillar should lower it did when i ran though it was working fine 

Just now, Nightmare2989 said:

The pillar should lower it did when i ran though it was working fine 

ya it lowered, and Im on it... how do i get across ? 

16 minutes ago, Bengaltiger1 said:

Fair enough. I was curious of the gameplay being balanced for you.

Sure, but you came across as a rather insistent. I was planning on posting my feedback here anyway, but I was not currently playing Doom at the moment I left my first comment. Anyway, the map is alright. I am not exactly sure why, but it reminded me of Master Levels for Doom II. The Pistol item at the beginning feels redundant and I have yet to figure out the Soulsphere secret; I mean, I got it, but I could not tell you how. 

7 minutes ago, staros96 said:

ya it lowered, and Im on it... how do i get across ? 

Ah yes, the center platform lowers as a lift. 

Just press use and you can escape.

As long as you run holding down shift you'll make it across

50 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

You did not have to send me a PM over this. :S

New users can only do a handful of posts in a 24-hour period, he's within that group.

I think it goes away after like 10-20 posts, or something like that.

44 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

New users can only do a handful of posts in a 24-hour period, he's within that group.

He not a new user though 

1 hour ago, Nightmare2989 said:

He not a new user though 

In that case I got no explanation for him sending a PM then.

4XT6UYs.pngcRWRNXn.png

nice, perhaps a bit primitive, but i have nothing to complain about

anyway here's the review and grading

• GOOD: overall it look pretty good, some more detailed part contrasted with vanilla-ish architecture
  • BAD: I would say try not to make the room too square in some part, more texture variety, and Lights and lamp should cast stronger light and more gradient. as in combat department, try to implement more monster closet or teleport ambush cause yours lack suprises.
  • UGLY: I don't have anything too horrible and hideous to complain about, congrats

Sentence: idk, you should map in Boom format

GRADE

• with My First MapTM Standard -> A
  • with Modern Map Standard -> B-
  • with Rose-Tinted Glasses Standard -> D+

idk why seems like there's a argument going on here

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I feel discouraged from further mapping.

I just hope folks enjoy my wads.

The message was asking for feedback, though in hindsight I should have been patient and let Rudolph in his own time return here to post. 

I can learn from this today in the future.

My msg just so you know was me asking for feedback on ammo and overall gameplay. 

As my last wad was unbalanced in that regard

Nice little level, cunningly hidden secrets, nice lighting and atmosphere.  Only feedback I'd really give is that

• Spoiler

• I wasn't expecting the door from the slime area to be a one way door
    • Your two Arch Viles, the first one is a nice one that spots you and rushes you down the corridor, the second one I could just about see its arm around the corner in the animation so I was pre-warned it was there - if you shuffle it just like one square behind the wall it won't be so visible.  This is unless you want people to have that little bit of warning if they're paying attention :)

I believe this has caused unnecessary drama on my post. I concur with you it wasn't necessary in hindsight. I'd like to give clarity on the msg I sent.

"I would like opinion on my post if ammo and general gameplay was ok for you.

Ty for commenting"

Note: I rarely post on Doomworld. My recall of all the rules are not 100% solid. I do remember to never bump into dormant threads although I should refresh my memory so I learn not repeat mistakes

It's an unconditional blessing to have folks play my wad. Thank you Rudolph + dw friends for playing

I haven't played the wad but I did watch @Biodegradable's playthrough. I actually really liked the layout. Interesting ideas. unique scenes and layout. You definitely have potential to make great maps.  The texture choices were really good and went well together. The layouts and design really reminded me or quake 2 for some reason.

Well done. Keep going.

Such a shame this post seems to have ruined your Doomworld likeability.  Amazing how something so minute can leave a negative impression that still remains. Oh well, can't be helped. Glad you returned!

15 minutes ago, Doomfan93 said:

Such a shame this post seems to have ruined your Doomworld likeability.  Amazing how something so minute can leave a negative impression that still remains. Oh well, can't be helped. Glad you returned!

Thank you , but Bumping into an old thread isn't cool. The small dispute has long been forgotten by both me and the user. 

I returned to Doomworld for a fresh start...so I  kindly ask no more bumps as ppl want to see new content posted. 

Also read the rules about bumping in threads before disturbing anyone else's. 

I'm speaking here as a friend to think before posting. Peace