Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
staros96

help!! my wad became corrupted!

So I was trying to change TITLEMAP in my WAD, which I've spent all weekend making. ! 

I made my own custom 8bit TITLEMAP in Photoshop. I downloaded the TITELMAP from DOOM2 WAD in XWE. I then opened my own WAD in XWE.

When I replaced the TITLEMAP.bmp in XWE, XWE then said something along the lines of 'IO exception'. I had to force it to close through Task Manager. 

I then re-opened my WAD in DOOMBUILDER 2, and it now crashes on opening, and displays 'Unhandled Exception has occured in your application... etc'

Then within DETAILS: 

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
   at System.IO.__Error.EndOfFile()
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadInt16()
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Data.WADReader.LoadTextureSet(String sourcename, Stream texturedata, List`1& images, PatchNames pnames)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Data.WADReader.LoadTextures(PatchNames pnames)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Data.DataManager.LoadTextures(Dictionary`2 list)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Data.DataManager.Load(DataLocationList locations)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Data.DataManager.Load(DataLocationList configlist, DataLocationList maplist, DataLocation maplocation)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.MapManager.InitializeOpenMap(String filepathname, MapOptions options)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.OpenMapFileWithOptions(String filename, MapOptions options)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.General.OpenMapFile(String filename, MapOptions options)
   at CodeImp.DoomBuilder.Windows.MainForm.recentitem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9164 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Builder
    Assembly Version: 2.1.2.1553
    Win32 Version: 2.1.2.1553
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Doom%20Builder%202/Builder.exe
----------------------------------------
System
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)

I suspect the BMP is corrupted, because 'TEXTURE 1' now shows as a series of characters like this, "READ BEYOND END OF FILE" error message, and XWE crashes (once again). I did have some difficulties replacing the texture, I think I forgot how to do it and was trial-and-error'ing it (I couldn't find the vid I followed earlier on how to replace textures arhghhh), so it is kinda my fault. What can I do to recover my blessed WAD? I was stupid enough not to save a copy down. 

:( Please help! 

I tried opening it in SLADE... that crashed too. I have tried going back through the temp files as per a thread I found on recovering them through APPDATA > Local , I cant seem to open them in DOOM BUILDER> If I do, only one vertice(s) shows :( 

BELOW: Files in my WAD directory... No idea what the .dbs etc files are. The top one is the original which is now corrupted (and yes the name is weird, its a working title I used as I had a wayyy earlier version without a 'balcony' I added......) 

image.png.19c43b96d8fd6033052ab66f6fa44b2b.png

BELOW: XWE CRASH image.png.900d2e5b9053af89d54841c62beaa703.png

.. i just fixed it by replacing one of the backup files with .wad extension ........ :/ 

Now that aside that I have a backup WAD which is now working and will be my new version - what on earth did I do to corrupt it in the first place?! 

apologies for the bump on my own post mods and really sorry if this is not allowed.. I just thought the 'solution' may be useful if you're a newbie to it like me and who can't seem to figure things out like that. Plus, I'm still perplexed as to what happened to corrupt the original and why XWE crashed! 

But isn't TITLEMAP a lump for a map that's actually interactively playing ln your Doom wad startup instead of TITLEPIC?

https://zdoom.org/wiki/TITLEMAP

So if this lump was named TITLEMAP but was actually just a .bmp file, could it have corrupted the wad?

Honestly I'm not sure because I've never tried TITLEMAP. I'm learning here too lol.

TITLEPIC would be a static image what K think you were looking for. Anyway glad you made it running. Remember to have a backup folder.

29 minutes ago, Nightmare2989 said:

Well done for sorting it out it look mind boggling too 

ha thank you ! 

25 minutes ago, Sonikkumania said:

But isn't TITLEMAP a lump for a map that's actually interactively playing ln your Doom wad startup instead of TITLEPIC?

https://zdoom.org/wiki/TITLEMAP

So if this lump was named TITLEMAP but was actually just a .bmp file, could it have corrupted the wad?

Honestly I'm not sure because I've never tried TITLEMAP. I'm learning here too lol.

TITLEPIC would be a static image what K think you were looking for. Anyway glad you made it running. Remember to have a backup folder.

oh gosh .. i think you might be right! Could it be a simple case of me not typing in TITLEPIC Lol... think Ive spent too many hrs on Doom this weekend.. 
I think you are right ! 

5 minutes ago, ChippiHeppu said:

XWE is horribly outdated. The last release was in 2009. Use Slade.

got it - I have both, think because the former I saw on some YT videos (admittedly, Chubz classics from 09 thereabouts)... 

10 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Is there a particular reason you are using Doombuilder 2? It's been years since that was maintained. Ultimate Doombuilder is the current iteration that is actively developed (and a much better tool).

https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/ultimatedoombuilder/

thanks. i think because I've been following a lot of YT videos from years ago and haven't really noticed how old the builds are! 

1 minute ago, staros96 said:

thanks. i think because I've been following a lot of YT videos from years ago and haven't really noticed how old the builds are! 

Yeah that might be it a lot of these video are out of date i did the same mistake looking at old video and thinking wtf is going on it is nothing like what i got 

For some reason I have stability issues with Ultimate Doombuilder, even though it is great to use.

If you had similar issues, then an alternative is GZDB (GZDoomBuilder) which is a different fork of Doom Builder 2, which I use and have found it to be easy and intuitive. UDB is the most modern version, but GZDB seems to handle everything that I need it to also.

Good luck with your project.  Glad you got it back. Yes as you discovered, you can rename .wad.backup1 to .wad (In the case of Slade it is .wad.bak) and your files are as good as ever.

:D

XWE is fine and very functional in theory, but in practice things like getting corrupted files do happen. I can only echo the others in this thread recommending Slade - it's vastly superior!

XWE killed so many of my maps back in the day and you should run far away from it as soon as you can

DB2 is fine, still, I think, and lots of people still use it in spite of it being discontinued, so if you're comfortable with it I don't see any specific reason to stop; although it'll probably benefit you to start learning UBD now, or DBX which I know little about except that it comes with some cool Lua scripts that UDB doesn't (if you get way into vanilla mapping then being able to swap linedef indexes will be your friend)

53 minutes ago, Uncle 80 said:

XWE is fine and very functional in theory, but in practice things like getting corrupted files do happen. I can only echo the others in this thread recommending Slade - it's vastly superior!

Oh I use SLADE now! I think I used XWE as I followed a very old YT tutorial and didn't couple together that I only needed one (SLADE being the superior/newer one !) 

Nothing wrong with using an old level editor - I'm using DeepSea myself, which is even older than Doom Builder 1!

XWE should be avoided at absolutely all costs, though.

When I read "XWE" was thinking: "mmmmh Probably she's using a old pc for that" but it seems that is a really powerful pc (judging for the phasmophobia and GZDoom exes and the discord app running), as everybody said, you should use SLADE.

Also, you should use Ultimate Doom Builder if your pc supports it (since you have GZDoom it should), alternatively, you can use Doom Builder X (not longer maintained but is one of the few builders compatible with really old hardware and is practically the same as Doom Builder 2, or GZDoom Builder Bugfix (the previous version of Ultimate Doom Builder that has older hardware support)

12 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

When I read "XWE" was thinking: "mmmmh Probably she's using a old pc for that" but it seems that is a really powerful pc (judging for the phasmophobia and GZDoom exes and the discord app running), as everybody said, you should use SLADE.

Also, you should use Ultimate Doom Builder if your pc supports it (since you have GZDoom it should), alternatively, you can use Doom Builder X (not longer maintained but is one of the few builders compatible with really old hardware and is practically the same as Doom Builder 2, or GZDoom Builder Bugfix (the previous version of Ultimate Doom Builder that has older hardware support)

Ha ha, like the observation of what I have running - you got me there!

will try and get Ultimate, does seem more up to date. 

1 hour ago, Stupid Bunny said:

XWE killed so many of my maps back in the day and you should run far away from it as soon as you can

DB2 is fine, still, I think, and lots of people still use it in spite of it being discontinued, so if you're comfortable with it I don't see any specific reason to stop; although it'll probably benefit you to start learning UBD now, or DBX which I know little about except that it comes with some cool Lua scripts that UDB doesn't (if you get way into vanilla mapping then being able to swap linedef indexes will be your friend)

UDB has scripting: https://biwa.github.io/udbscript-docs/