Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SFFlowerBoy

Classic Doom community is the most wholesome community ever

Just now, Mr Masker said:

I mean comparing to the League of Legends community is a pretty low bar...

That's true but that is the only frame of reference I have unfortunately. But I am still of the opinion that this community here is truly something special.

I cannot speak for other DOOM forums but I'd say you joined Doomworld at the right time. I don't think it ever was LoL level of...questionable but late 2000's early 2010's was...something.

1 minute ago, Shanoa said:

I cannot speak for other DOOM forums but I'd say you joined Doomworld at the right time. I don't think it ever was LoL level of...questionable but late 2000's early 2010's was...something.

I didn't really know how the forum was back then, but the few Tidpids I catched didn't sound really good. Is there something I missed from those or is it largely irrelevant now?

Just now, SFFlowerBoy said:

I didn't really know how the forum was back then, but the few Tidpids I catched didn't sound really good. Is there something I missed from those or is it largely irrelevant now?

Ah well, i'm sure what you've read is sufficient, or you could dig up further if you wanted. Your topic is wholesome and should remain as such, IMO. That's what's important. (:

i've dipped out of this community once or twice due to lack of interest but yea so far haven't seen anything too bad, good out ways the bad here

also i like your avatar

3 minutes ago, NoahRules said:

i've dipped out of this community once or twice due to lack of interest but yea so far haven't seen anything too bad, good out ways the bad here

also i like your avatar

Thx I like your avatar too :D

1 hour ago, Mr Masker said:

I mean comparing to the League of Legends community is a pretty low bar...

No wonder they consider it wholesome lmao

The seediest bar in the worst part of town at 2AM is a more wholesome community than League 

The asshole quotient here is impressively low for an online forum yes.

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I've remained strong, outnumbered as I may be.

Yes, you call yourself that, and yet your posts are consistently among the funniest and most intelligent, and I have only seen you been an asshole to someone who needed put in their place. So... at least you use your powers for good?

2 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

... at least you use your powers for good?

there is no good, only varying levels of bad.

This bad just so happens to cut other levels of bad out of the picture.

you could find more wholesomeness at a klan meeting than you could in the league community

all jokes aside, this really is a wonderful, accepting community. it's a place where i feel like i truly belong, and as someone with social anxiety, that's something really special <3

This talk about the LOL community reminded me of a thing I had long forgotten... A pretty funny but sad thing. There's this guy who made this video, many years ago. The title says he won in 5 minutes, but the actual game takes 10. He mentions the reason why in the comment below: 

image.png.7bad91aff644288ab60f29ddf25d4448.png

Someone on the other team quits the game at the 5 minute mark, and from there on the game is practically won. Now, the thing is... This reply has got two hundred replies, and, I shit you not, nearly every single one of them are people arguing back and forth about if he actually won in five minutes or in ten minutes. Its a gigantic flame war for the most pointless reason ever. If it doesn't make you lose faith in humanity and you like to read and laugh at this kind of stuff, I highly recommend bringing in the popcorn.

Also, this is completely unrelated, but I saw there a comment by a dude with a cat profile pic named Taxtro. I've seen them and their comments in several unrelated videos at this point... Pretty funny coincidences if you ask me.

Yes I quite agree, as someone who has deliberately avoided social networking, online gaming and all other forms of online interaction for most of my life. After ending up here while searching doom related stuff all the time I finally took the plunge and signed up. Not interacted with any assholes yet, seen a few nasty posts but they usually get slapped down pretty fast. Enjoying my time here, loads of good people, doubt we're all wholesome though I know I'm not ;)

3 hours ago, SFFlowerBoy said:

So what do you think is the reason for that? Your thoughts on that would interest me.

IMO, this has to do, at least in part, with the fact that the average age of us classic Doom fans is quite high compared to pretty much any other videogame community.

12 minutes ago, Fernito said:

IMO, this has to do, at least in part, with the fact that the average age of us classic Doom fans is quite high compared to pretty much any other videogame community.

Makes a lot of sense. It's one of the oldest games with such an active community, that isn't an competitive multiplayer game. I mean there is multiplayer, but I think most people playing are probably interested in the single player experience.

Hahaha we’re so nice here guys have I mentioned how League of Legends community is full of the worst human beings alive???

In all seriousness though, I actually moved apartments once cuz all of my roommates were into League.

1 minute ago, Faceman2000 said:

Hahaha we’re so nice here guys have I mentioned how League of Legends community is full of the worst human beings alive???

In all seriousness though, I actually moved apartments once cuz all of my roommates were into League.

My friends who play it throw a fit half of the time they are. I ask myself then why they play it if they don't seem to enjoy it? lol

Not League, but a DOTA game enraged my D&D buddy so much that he yelled at me to go kill myself because a tower got me. It was one of the reasons our friendship fractured. Fuck MOBAs. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Not League, but a DOTA game enraged my D&D buddy so much that he yelled at me to go kill myself because a tower got me. It was one of the reasons our friendship fractured. Fuck MOBAs. 

Damn I would lie if I said that I didn't experience situations like that both at the receiving end and being the asshole who dealt it. That's why I stopped playing honestly. Know game should drive you to behave in such a way.

9 hours ago, DSC said:

nearly every single one of them are people arguing back and forth about if he actually won in five minutes or in ten minutes. Its a gigantic flame war for the most pointless reason ever. If it doesn't make you lose faith in humanity and you like to read and laugh at this kind of stuff, I highly recommend bringing in the popcorn.

I would get some popcorn, but I would probably start choking when I start laughing at the stupid comments.

Edited by Zero Master's Clone

Being mostly focused on single-player content helps. Competitive multiplayer tends to bring out the vitriol from players, especially if there are rankings and carrots dangled in front of them to fight over.

6 hours ago, SFFlowerBoy said:

So what do you think is the reason for that? Your thoughts on that would interest me.

Many of the less palatable characters got banned and congregated onto their own forum. There are still plenty of unsavoury characters here too if you dig around, plenty of drama. It's just not outfacing when it is mostly hidden on Discord and "private" messages. Some mods here are allergic to anything mildly constituting conflict, so the instant any topic looks iffy it gets locked. Things look better when negatives are buried :)