Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aRottenKomquat

The I.M.P. Act (GZDoom/Doom2 megawad. Version 1.0 now on idgames!)

Short update: Map layout on Episode 1, "The Phobos Faux Pas", is basically complete. I need to take a "Doom Vacation" with my sister and we'll get items/monsters/testing done, and then we'll release that episode.

In the meantime, I've started some layout on Episode 2, "The Infested Station." It takes place on a UAC research station in Mars space.

Here's a screenshot dump of the newer stuff. Enjoy!

From MAP06, a.k.a. E1M6, "Haunted Depot":

Spoiler

map06_2.jpg.da0ccaf1b28489e7e8110a8eb7468604.jpg

map06_3.jpg.f946c8a65bf96f59f1e86ceb7f954b7a.jpg

map06_4.jpg.ed8e2676605fb6d08f0e7fda92d296bc.jpg

map06_1.jpg.6394c6450582e2b6f444ba75e82b7e26.jpg

From MAP07, a.k.a. E1M7, "Steppes of Hell":

Spoiler

map07_1.jpg.7eb5cb69fb4840fae43dbe11cd335d88.jpg

map07_2.jpg.cb547aaf018e19c9662d22565fb19fbe.jpg

map07_3.jpg.10f2954ca98e89b4fe99191159275e55.jpg

map07_4.jpg.fda42cfe6d9f02757ef03ac4cb2f3abd.jpg

From MAP08, a.k.a. E1M8, "Phobos Portal":

Spoiler

map08_1.jpg.af7f29e40c565260db55d1312ae586e6.jpg

map08_2.jpg.4eb114d95035adc8c2194390620382bf.jpg

map08_3.jpg.da78e9388f2e0c356712a40368ddce4e.jpg

map08_4.jpg.dd63af038a160af453a8f5da59cdaa44.jpg

And from MAP10, a.k.a. E2M1, "Hangar Bay":

Spoiler

map10_1.jpg.7b99b1f383e546eb681a034525026f1c.jpg

map10_2.jpg.0aa269b6cadf2f3d9b26aa42e7302a1b.jpg

map10_3.jpg.d8782a714f754e7dcbc0b2b0d12d2bbb.jpg

map10_4.jpg.f6f54b86180d63e1ffb8ba972149c31b.jpg

Version 1.0 RC1 is now available for download and testing! This consists of Episode 1, "The Phobos Faux Pas", which is MAP01 - MAP09 with MAP09 being a secret level. 

This is a release candidate. I'd love to see some playtesting and bug reports. Once I've addressed bugs and done some cooperative balance, I'll release version 1.0 on idgames.

Download Link: imp_act_1.0_rc1.zip

It is balanced for Ultra-Violence with pistol start. The difficulty is more medium with continuous start, but I think it's more fun on continuous. We made no serious effort to balance lower skill levels although we did remove monsters.

Edited by aRottenKomquat

7 minutes ago, aRottenKomquat said:

Bump for the weekend. I'd love any playtesting/feedback before I bring this out of release-candidate phase.

I'll try to give this a try during the next days

Here are my FDAs of the first 3 levels + secret level. The video is uploading, should be available in one hour or so. I hope you find the playthroughs useful, I found a couple of issues, you'll see them in the video (sporadic written commentary included)

1 hour ago, Fernito said:

Here are my FDAs of the first 3 levels + secret level. The video is uploading, should be available in one hour or so. I hope you find the playthroughs useful, I found a couple of issues, you'll see them in the video (sporadic written commentary included)

Thanks for playing, I'm watching now. I can't believe we missed the blue key door on MAP02 not requiring a blue key...doh.

Some of the other oddness early on in MAP02 is because of compatibility settings. It needs to be on GZDoom default, the strict settings cause all kinds of problems with 3D floors and infinitely-tall actors. I'll make a note in the OP and readme.

EDIT: This is very valuable. I've got a notepad of things to tweak so far. Some of them you noticed, some of them you didn't.

EDIT 2: Something went very wrong on the secret level. Only Imps and Cacos were supposed to spawn. 

Edited by aRottenKomquat

I'm glad the playthroughs were useful! Map09 was still manageable despite all kinds of monsters spawning :) I'll try to test more maps asap. 

I've implemented a bunch of fixes for maps 1 - 3 and 9. Most of them were minor issues on 2. On MAP03, I didn't like how going to the secret level cost you about half the map, so I relocated the secret blue key to be near the normal exit, blocking you from the secret exit until you've beat the map normally.

And I found an actor definition that was accidentally stripped out when I removed all the WIP Episode 2 and 3 content, which explains why the secret level didn't work properly.

All of this will be in the RC2 WAD once I publish that.

Here's my playthrough of map04 (currently uploading). Another cool E1-like map with nice use of 3d floors :)

6 hours ago, Fernito said:

Here's my playthrough of map04 (currently uploading). Another cool E1-like map with nice use of 3d floors :)

That was a lot of fun to watch. We were going for more of a Dark Forces-style gameplay on this one, with a large map with lots to explore. It was fun watching you explore and secret-hunt on this one. It was also quite rewarding as a viewer to watch you complain about needing a better weapon, then 5 seconds later you find the SSG. And later on in the big canyon after you took a beating down to ~10% health, then a few seconds later you stumbled into the supercharge secret.

9 minutes ago, aRottenKomquat said:

That was a lot of fun to watch. We were going for more of a Dark Forces-style gameplay on this one, with a large map with lots to explore. It was fun watching you explore and secret-hunt on this one. It was also quite rewarding as a viewer to watch you complain about needing a better weapon, then 5 seconds later you find the SSG. And later on in the big canyon after you took a beating down to ~10% health, then a few seconds later you stumbled into the supercharge secret.

Now that you mention it, yeah, this map really has some Dark Forces vibes to it! I'll try to continue with the testing asap.

Here's the playthough of map05. Nice stuff, as usual! I dig the E1-vibe plus GZDoom advanced features :) 

Map06 here. Another fun map, good job! My only grip is that I have the feeling that there are too many resources for the player. Or maybe I'm just way too careful with the ammo :) 

The video is uploading!

Map06 here. Another fun map, good job! My only grip is that I have the feeling that there are too many resources for the player. Or maybe I'm just way too careful with the ammo :) 

The video is uploading!

So far, I get the impression that you are a better Doom player than us. You breeze through some areas we struggled with in playtesting.

Will watch later today. Thanks again.

And here's map07! One of my favorites so far, I'm a sucker for inferno-themed maps, and this one does a very good job at it :) 

4 hours ago, Fernito said:

And here's map07! One of my favorites so far, I'm a sucker for inferno-themed maps, and this one does a very good job at it :) 

I definitely have some tweaks to make on that one. I'm especially not happy with how useless the spiderdemon is, but I think I know how to fix it up.

2 hours ago, aRottenKomquat said:

I definitely have some tweaks to make on that one. I'm especially not happy with how useless the spiderdemon is, but I think I know how to fix it up.

Yeah! I was actually meaning to comment precisely on that, but I forgot. I can give it another go once you adjust that part if you want. 

Yeah! I was actually meaning to comment precisely on that, but I forgot. I can give it another go once you adjust that part if you want. 

This one had enough issues I think it's worth posting a release candidate of it. So here's an update with just MAP07.

I reworked the spiderdemon area. I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I think it's better than it was. If I change it again, I might just pull the spiderdemon completely and use a bunch of something else in its place.

I also increased the difficulty by removing some powerups, removing one secret, and adding a few extra monsters. Also fixed the non-teleporting pinkies (somehow a teleport target thing got deleted). I can barely beat this now, and it requires saves for me to make it through. But I think that's appropriate for the second-to-last map in an episode, and MAP08 is only harder. :)

imp_act_map07_rc2.zip

I played through the 9 maps (had to idclev to the last one) and they are pretty good :) It starts a bit slow (map 1 feels a bit too 'oldschool'), but it picks up pretty fast and the showdown in map 8 is very good. Had a lot of fun playing through those maps and am looking forward to the next episode.

I love the Doom1 vibe but in Doom2 format. The gameplay match perfectly with my taste and the design of the levels are good. Also it match perfect with my mod (due the mostly vanilla assets) so... looking forward the complete Megawad :)

i will be playing it (currently i'm in level 3) i will do some extra experiment when i will reach level 9. Thanks for the maps!

Edited by WARDUST

FYI Level 9 (the secret level) is broken in RC1. It's beatable but the major gimmick does not work due to a missing ZSCRIPT, so what you see is not the intended effect.

And here's the last one. Great final map with some nice fights! I included some written commentary as usual. I quite enjoyed the wad, good job! :) I hope the playthroughs have been useful.

PS: I still have to come back to the revised version of map07 at some point.

3 hours ago, Fernito said:

And here's the last one. Great final map with some nice fights! I included some written commentary as usual. I quite enjoyed the wad, good job! :) I hope the playthroughs have been useful.

PS: I still have to come back to the revised version of map07 at some point.

Your playthroughs have been extremely helpful, and the next readme will credit you as a playtester. Typically I fix things while watching so it's been a pretty easy process.

This one was quite interesting to watch, and clearly shows you are a much better Doom player than me. I needed every bit of resource to beat this one, but you left about half of it behind and breezed through areas that really bogged me down. I never expected anyone to hit all four switches in the techbase area without clearing each wave first, for example. I'm not sure what to do with the Baron/Knight wave. It looked like a boring grind for you but that was not at all how it played for me. (Personally I suspect my run-and-gun style is too fine-tuned for Quake III and Quake Champions, and causes me problems on Doom.)

Anyway, I should have RC2 out this weekend. I expect single-player mode to be complete, and our focus for RC2 will be cooperative balance. Once LadyNims and I have a chance to spend a weekend playtesting and balancing coop mode, I'll release version 1.0 and put it on idgames. Then it'll be on to 1.1 with the second episode. I have about half the maps for episode 2 built but there are no monsters or items yet, and still lots of texturing and tweaks needed.

I do think RC2 could use a quick singleplayer test for map 9 since the gimmick there totally fell flat in RC1 due to a missing ZSCRIPT. (All our secret maps in this megawad will be gimmicks by the way.)

The issue with the hell knight wave for me was that they were always in front of me, so I just had to make sure to dodge left and right and that's it. What about keeping the same knight count, but make some of them spawn where the arachnotrons were before (where the 4 puzzle switches are). That would make the player have to focus on several "attacking fronts" (sorry, don't know if that makes sense, English is not my native language). I dunno, it's just an idea, but you could maybe experiment with it a little bit. 

And yeah, count with me for testing map09 again once RC2 is out :) 

RC2 is available in the OP now! Thanks @Fernito for all your testing!

I did make some tweaks to Map08 as well. I added revenant teleports on the arachnotron platforms as part of the hell knight wave. Hopefully that plays better.

Single-player mode should essentially be complete now. Obviously I'll still accept any playtesting, feedback, and bug reports. But my main focus for RC2 will be on cooperative testing and balancing when LadyNims and I have a chance to work through that.