Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
!-PRO-log-!

Lost in Darkness [2.0.23]

[2.0.17]

Fixed a bug where the player had the maximum amount of ammo but could still pick it up

Edited by !-PRO-log-!

[2.0.20]
The controller and wither can no longer be targeted, and cannot choose a target other than the player. This was done due to the fact that their attack is intended only for the player.  Use on other monsters could cause crashes

Enemies such as Hellhound, Mother Demon, hellion, exile are now fireproof

Cerberus, hellhound, motherdemon can no longer kill themselves

The rendering type of gas from a can has been changed.  Gas sprites now look better

When the controller, dog and cultists detect a player, the radius of the noise they make has been reduced, which is used to notify each other

Corpses that are impaled on sticks can no longer be searched.  Before this, nothing fell out of them anyway

Fixed fire death and pain sounds

The player no longer gets bleeding from fire

Improved Molotov cocktail.  It is now an inventory item, the ability to run with it has been added and a quick punch has been added, it also emits light when it flies, the speed of select and deselect away has been increased

I decided to write in more detail

Edited by !-PRO-log-!

[2.0.21]
1. It is now recommended to play on GZDOOM. In lzdoom, dynamic light does not work stably
2. On the loading screen at startup, the text has been changed to "Lost in Darkness"
3. The crucifix has been slightly changed. Also the normal attack sound does not play when the ghost dies
4. You can no longer click on a barrel during an explosion
5. Mutated bird now sees 360
6. Slightly increased the radius of noise when hit with a melee weapon
7. Artifacts no longer break
8. Changed behavior of Mother demon
9. Artifact abilities have been added for Molotovs
10. Bugs have been fixed for the severed hand
11. The werewolf no longer attacks cultists. Changed his sounds and some fixes
12. Fake barrel/poltergeist spawn returned
13. Other minor fixes

14. The LiveReverb addon has been added to the archive, which creates a reverberation and echo effect for sounds
15. Readme file updated with important information

Edited by !-PRO-log-!

I love this mod, I've been playing with with Vanilla doom 1 / 2 and DTWID maps (using gzdoom) and thoroughly enjoying my experience. I am going to continue to play around with it and get as far as I can, but if you are interested I have some criticisms.

I have a lot to say about this obviously - and I'm sorry if this is somehow the wrong place for it - but before I get into it I just want you to know that despite all the problems I might have, I love Lost in Darkness and I will continue to play it on the hardest difficulty for as long as I can! There's a lot to enjoy here, and I don't see myself getting bored with it any time soon. With that said, let's get into it.

The Good / Things I like:
- Atmosphere, lighting, enemy variety, tension is top-notch. All of the gameplay systems working together creates a very fun, brutal, and intense atmosphere, one that I believe is oppressive but in a good way (especially when playing on Realism mode). This feels like a true survival horror experience to me.

- Movement is consequential and important. Dodging is a very nice feature as the overall movement is very paced otherwise. I found myself leaning a lot to get the advantage when I can, so I can feasibly sprint away from a monster without incident if I need to.

- I wouldn't call myself easily spooked but since playing I have had more than my fair share of scares, especially with some of the more deceptive / subversive enemies that I won't mention out of spoilers!

- Reloading system is very engaging and intense, and I love it! I know a lot of people will be turned off by how the reloading is "needlessly" complicated in this mod, but with the way this system works, safe reloads feel satisfying and dangerous reloads feel tense. It's not just a matter of telling your character to reload, it is a matter of priming the reload, and slotting the ammunition into the weapon in a timely manner. Feels especially good with shotguns, and very satisfying when it is done correctly in the middle of a fight.

- I like the save system a lot, limited saves increase the tension! Though it seems as though the spawn rate for bibles is rather low.

- Almost everything the player does takes time. I love this, it forces you to plan and think about what you're going to do. The moments where I am bleeding in the middle of a fight are one of the best examples of this; Sometimes it's better to time the bandage use while the enemy plans its next move, and sometimes it's better to sprint away to someplace safer to tend to my wounds.

The Bad / Things I don't like:
- Anomalies are very unforgiving. I understand the inspiration, and I love the idea, but some anomaly positions are very brutal as they cannot be walked around. Pair this with the fact that throwing a bolt in an anomaly only dissipates it for a very short window of time and it can be very frustrating due to the player's movement.

- Inventory items can be confusing for a first time player as they are not labelled. Apart from the sprite itself, the only way to tell what an item actually does is to use it. One of my poor new player experiences was dying to radiation poisoning without realizing I was being hit by rads, and only after activating the geiger counter did I realize what I was doing wrong.

- Automap screen is charming, but can be painful/jarring to look at if you are playing in the darkness of your room. (I often play in the dark to increase the tension / atmosphere of Lost in Darkness)

- When using a one-handed weapon with the lighter and switching to another one-handed weapon, the lighter requires re-activation, which can be annoying. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a game limitation somehow but just thought I'd put it here just in case.

My suggestions:

- Increase the amount of time anomalies are dispersed when a bolt is thrown into them. It feels like a complete gamble sometimes of whether or not I'll get hit by the re-appearing anomaly as I sprint through it, and I think this is because of the movement. Having them stay dispersed for just a second more I think would do the trick. (Alternatively, allow for a weapon version of the bolt that the player holds, but cannot throw. With this weapon being held the player could pass through anomalies unharmed at the cost of being vulnerable to enemies, as they will essentially be unarmed.)

- Inventory items should be labelled with text in the U.I, or at least tell the player what it is when picked up (I.E: You got the Flare, You got the Shotgun Shell, You got the Health Tonic, etc.). Alternatively, a quick rundown of the items in the readme/survival guide would be very useful.

-For balance purposes, you might consider letting the player activate biosuits by simply walking over them, as many can be found within pits of acid to begin with.

- I understand enemy counts were reduced to be more fair, but sometimes it feels like some levels are too sparse. Make no mistake, having minimal enemies in this mod increases the tension a lot, it feels very good. But I personally think it would benefit by increasing the count by just 1 or 2, preferably for easier / fodder enemies.

- Allow for separate binds for individual inventory items. It would be very nice to be able to have a key dedicated to throwing bolts especially so that precision timing with dispersing anomalies is much smoother. Dedicated keys to equipping goggles and using bandages would also be useful, as those are items that one might feasibly use in the heat of a combat situation.

- Allow for different automap visuals or change it to be darker visually.

- Enemy variety seems to be set / static when loading an autosave. Because of this, I found myself not using the save system despite not retaining my weapons just so I could have a different enemy variety on each attempt at a level. Not sure if this is at all possible, but randomizing spawned items, anomalies, and enemies (but somehow keeping player weapons / inventory) on loading a save would be amazing, but that might be too "rogue-like" for some people's tastes, and possibly get messy when loading a save that was made in the middle of a level.

- A lot of secrets may be inaccessible due to the player's movement within this mod. If balancing is indeed what you're trying to do, you might want to include an inventory item that temporarily speeds up the player or allows them to use vanilla Doom movement for a short period of time.

- Allow the player to use the spray can with the lighter, similar to Blood, creating a short flamethrower. This might be seen as giving the player too much power and thus reduce the tension, but perhaps it could come at the cost of using much more spraycan ammo or perhaps temporarily shorting out your lighter. The spray can could also have more uses beyond small enemies, like say removing environmental hazards / blocks of some kind (I.E: Melting a thin wall of flesh for the player to pass through).

8 hours ago, Kim said:

I love this mod, I've been playing with with Vanilla doom 1 / 2 and DTWID maps (using gzdoom) and thoroughly enjoying my experience. I am going to continue to play around with it and get as far as I can, but if you are interested I have some criticisms.

I have a lot to say about this obviously - and I'm sorry if this is somehow the wrong place for it - but before I get into it I just want you to know that despite all the problems I might have, I love Lost in Darkness and I will continue to play it on the hardest difficulty for as long as I can! There's a lot to enjoy here, and I don't see myself getting bored with it any time soon. With that said, let's get into it.

The Good / Things I like:
- Atmosphere, lighting, enemy variety, tension is top-notch. All of the gameplay systems working together creates a very fun, brutal, and intense atmosphere, one that I believe is oppressive but in a good way (especially when playing on Realism mode). This feels like a true survival horror experience to me.

- Movement is consequential and important. Dodging is a very nice feature as the overall movement is very paced otherwise. I found myself leaning a lot to get the advantage when I can, so I can feasibly sprint away from a monster without incident if I need to.

- I wouldn't call myself easily spooked but since playing I have had more than my fair share of scares, especially with some of the more deceptive / subversive enemies that I won't mention out of spoilers!

- Reloading system is very engaging and intense, and I love it! I know a lot of people will be turned off by how the reloading is "needlessly" complicated in this mod, but with the way this system works, safe reloads feel satisfying and dangerous reloads feel tense. It's not just a matter of telling your character to reload, it is a matter of priming the reload, and slotting the ammunition into the weapon in a timely manner. Feels especially good with shotguns, and very satisfying when it is done correctly in the middle of a fight.

- I like the save system a lot, limited saves increase the tension! Though it seems as though the spawn rate for bibles is rather low.

- Almost everything the player does takes time. I love this, it forces you to plan and think about what you're going to do. The moments where I am bleeding in the middle of a fight are one of the best examples of this; Sometimes it's better to time the bandage use while the enemy plans its next move, and sometimes it's better to sprint away to someplace safer to tend to my wounds.

The Bad / Things I don't like:
- Anomalies are very unforgiving. I understand the inspiration, and I love the idea, but some anomaly positions are very brutal as they cannot be walked around. Pair this with the fact that throwing a bolt in an anomaly only dissipates it for a very short window of time and it can be very frustrating due to the player's movement.

- Inventory items can be confusing for a first time player as they are not labelled. Apart from the sprite itself, the only way to tell what an item actually does is to use it. One of my poor new player experiences was dying to radiation poisoning without realizing I was being hit by rads, and only after activating the geiger counter did I realize what I was doing wrong.

- Automap screen is charming, but can be painful/jarring to look at if you are playing in the darkness of your room. (I often play in the dark to increase the tension / atmosphere of Lost in Darkness)

- When using a one-handed weapon with the lighter and switching to another one-handed weapon, the lighter requires re-activation, which can be annoying. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a game limitation somehow but just thought I'd put it here just in case.

My suggestions:

- Increase the amount of time anomalies are dispersed when a bolt is thrown into them. It feels like a complete gamble sometimes of whether or not I'll get hit by the re-appearing anomaly as I sprint through it, and I think this is because of the movement. Having them stay dispersed for just a second more I think would do the trick. (Alternatively, allow for a weapon version of the bolt that the player holds, but cannot throw. With this weapon being held the player could pass through anomalies unharmed at the cost of being vulnerable to enemies, as they will essentially be unarmed.)

- Inventory items should be labelled with text in the U.I, or at least tell the player what it is when picked up (I.E: You got the Flare, You got the Shotgun Shell, You got the Health Tonic, etc.). Alternatively, a quick rundown of the items in the readme/survival guide would be very useful.

-For balance purposes, you might consider letting the player activate biosuits by simply walking over them, as many can be found within pits of acid to begin with.

- I understand enemy counts were reduced to be more fair, but sometimes it feels like some levels are too sparse. Make no mistake, having minimal enemies in this mod increases the tension a lot, it feels very good. But I personally think it would benefit by increasing the count by just 1 or 2, preferably for easier / fodder enemies.

- Allow for separate binds for individual inventory items. It would be very nice to be able to have a key dedicated to throwing bolts especially so that precision timing with dispersing anomalies is much smoother. Dedicated keys to equipping goggles and using bandages would also be useful, as those are items that one might feasibly use in the heat of a combat situation.

- Allow for different automap visuals or change it to be darker visually.

- Enemy variety seems to be set / static when loading an autosave. Because of this, I found myself not using the save system despite not retaining my weapons just so I could have a different enemy variety on each attempt at a level. Not sure if this is at all possible, but randomizing spawned items, anomalies, and enemies (but somehow keeping player weapons / inventory) on loading a save would be amazing, but that might be too "rogue-like" for some people's tastes, and possibly get messy when loading a save that was made in the middle of a level.

- A lot of secrets may be inaccessible due to the player's movement within this mod. If balancing is indeed what you're trying to do, you might want to include an inventory item that temporarily speeds up the player or allows them to use vanilla Doom movement for a short period of time.

- Allow the player to use the spray can with the lighter, similar to Blood, creating a short flamethrower. This might be seen as giving the player too much power and thus reduce the tension, but perhaps it could come at the cost of using much more spraycan ammo or perhaps temporarily shorting out your lighter. The spray can could also have more uses beyond small enemies, like say removing environmental hazards / blocks of some kind (I.E: Melting a thin wall of flesh for the player to pass through).

Thank you for such a great comment. In patch 22, I will increase the cooldown of the anomaly, make the map darker, and other changes. In update 2.1 I will probably add a flamethrower in the form of a spray can like in BLOOD. And maybe I'll make a reference book on the items

I have an extremely important question: 

According to your artistic intention: how dark should this be played at? 

What elements should I not be able to see, and which things should I just barely be able to see, in accordance with your directorial vision? 

Normally a game might include a calibration screen, but since this doesn’t seem to have one yet, I feel as though I should ask; just to be sure. 

I’ve thus far been playing in almost complete darkness, presuming that this is essential to the basic premise (and necessitating use of the lighter, justifying the pistol, etc…), but I’m wondering if it’s correct for the player to be able to see TRULY nothing in the darkest shadows. 

Thank you in advance! I really care a lot about playing this the way it should be played!

On 2/16/2024 at 1:14 AM, Noisetank01 said:

I have an extremely important question: 

According to your artistic intention: how dark should this be played at? 

What elements should I not be able to see, and which things should I just barely be able to see, in accordance with your directorial vision? 

Normally a game might include a calibration screen, but since this doesn’t seem to have one yet, I feel as though I should ask; just to be sure. 

I’ve thus far been playing in almost complete darkness, presuming that this is essential to the basic premise (and necessitating use of the lighter, justifying the pistol, etc…), but I’m wondering if it’s correct for the player to be able to see TRULY nothing in the darkest shadows. 

Thank you in advance! I really care a lot about playing this the way it should be played!

You can adjust the brightness as you wish. But I would recommend (For GZDOOM) in the display options to set the contrast to 1.1. Or turn down the brightness a little. And in Hardware Rendering Options you can adjust Sector light mode

Well sure, yes, but- everyone's monitor is different, yeah?
So I'm wondering, like, (after applying these aforementioned settings) what SHOULD I be able to see, and what should I not be able to see? My monitor can go extremely dark, to the point where it almost looks like it's not even turned on, so, at some point I've gotta wonder if there's an intended threshold. Obv I must turn it up to some point, but the question is: how much? I want to play as dark as you think it "should" be played; tuned to the subjective contrast of whatever monitor I put it on. Sorry if I'm still missing something somehow. Thank you again!

2 hours ago, Noisetank01 said:

Well sure, yes, but- everyone's monitor is different, yeah?
So I'm wondering, like, (after applying these aforementioned settings) what SHOULD I be able to see, and what should I not be able to see? My monitor can go extremely dark, to the point where it almost looks like it's not even turned on, so, at some point I've gotta wonder if there's an intended threshold. Obv I must turn it up to some point, but the question is: how much? I want to play as dark as you think it "should" be played; tuned to the subjective contrast of whatever monitor I put it on. Sorry if I'm still missing something somehow. Thank you again!

Well, for example.  On the very first map in Doom 2, in front of you is a small room with columns.  And also a little further there is a corridor.  A room with columns should be completely dark.  You shouldn't see anything in her.  And in the corridor you should already see well

[2.0.22]
1. Fixed a bug where the hand continued to choke you even if you were dead.  Now the hand will immediately let you go if you die
2. Fixed a bug where the cross still worked even if you were killed
3. The wither and controller have fixed the ACS script
4. Anomalies now take a little longer to “reload”
5. Auto map made darker

On 2/18/2024 at 7:48 AM, !-PRO-log-! said:

Well, for example.  On the very first map in Doom 2, in front of you is a small room with columns.  And also a little further there is a corridor.  A room with columns should be completely dark.  You shouldn't see anything in her.  And in the corridor you should already see well

Perfect! This is just what I was hoping for! Thank you so much! 

Running around in the dark and suddenly hearing a belch from a Quake Spawn you can't even see? Yeah, fuck that, hard pass for me. Lmao. 

Posted (edited)

[2.0.23]

1. The possessed code has been slightly updated.  The longer you drive away the possessed person,         the longer he will run away   after the cross is lowered

2. Updated crucifix code.  Now you can walk with the cross, but slowly

3. 64 Pinky was lightened up a bit

4. The damage of all firearms has been slightly reworked

5. Revolver damage has been increased

6. Vertical recoil of the Kalash has been increased

7. Increased damage of pump-action shotgun

8. The damage of a double shot of a double-barreled shotgun has been slightly increased.  Now, by           firing twice in turn, you will deal less damage than with two guns at once

9. Glutton (Big Pinky) has increased HP

10. The cultist's HP has been increased from 100 to 150

11. Batteries now drop more often from various corpses

12. Temporarily removed 1 ambient sound

13. A cultist now has a medium chance of dropping a AK

14. The damage of the artifact ball lightning has been increased (artifact 1)

15. The ghost can no longer be a target, and cannot select a target other than the player

16. Credits updated

17. Ghost attack simplified a bit

18. The bolt can now be picked up after being thrown, but will disappear in the anomaly

19. It is no longer possible to dash when the player is using a cross

20. A wandering person more often goes into a state of pain

21. Anomaly spawning has been slightly reduced

22. Bolt-action rifle code has been updated.  Now she acts more realistic

23. Anomalies now react to bolts at a slightly larger radius

24. Enemy spawning has been slightly adjusted.  It's a little smaller

Edited by !-PRO-log-!

Amazing mod man! Tought and creepy.

Two questions:

Why weapon reload is in two steps?

And, there's a way to bind each item to a keyboard key? Like this guy.

Note that i'm not a "Pro" with your mod*

(LiD version 2.0.23 + Do Not Enter)

5 hours ago, Aeddes666 said:

Amazing mod man! Tought and creepy.

Two questions:

Why weapon reload is in two steps?

And, there's a way to bind each item to a keyboard key? Like this guy.

Note that i'm not a "Pro" with your mod*

(LiD version 2.0.23 + Do Not Enter)

Thanks.  Reloading with two buttons increases immersion in my opinion.  And ask the second question to francoplajs