Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

DWBS

Just for fun and profit, we were having (another) useless discussion in #zdoom about Doom related things. So I'll give you a topic, and then you discuss. Sound good? Try not to flame either, otherwise you'll have to deal with the wrath of mewse, as he moderates the comment threads. Okay, here we go. These are all my thoughts of course, feel free to disagree:

• The Mancubus says 'ugh dee my oh' when he fires
  • The Hell Knight says 'ogwa' when he dies
  • The Revenant wears pants (classic!)
  • The Arch Vile says 'awww bye bye' when he dies
Okay, there we go. This should spark debates for many years to come, hopefully, until we get the remaining mail issues sorted out.

It's really hard to "guess" at what these things are saying. Many feel that it's a real word, other's see it as them saying nothing, and our brains trying to pick out something understandable. Here's what I think:

Mancubus: "I'm your ma" (Sounds wrong, but hey?)
Hell Knight: "aah-ruah!" (Meaning I think it's gibberish)
The revanant DOES NOT where pants (imho)
Archvile "We love Roy"

Heh.

Yar, first... er, third post!

Okay, slightly more "on topic" (if such a thing can be applied to this insane thread). For years I thought the Wolfenstein guy shouted "My name is...!" when he died. I was like "wtf is he trying to tell me his name?"

Oh and I do know he is saying "Mein Leben" now, which doesn't really make much more sense, but at least its German.

Jonathan said:

Okay, slightly more "on topic" (if such a thing can be applied to this insane thread). For years I thought the Wolfenstein guy shouted "My name is...!" when he died. I was like "wtf is he trying to tell me his name?"

My name is what. My name is what. My name is tikka tikka wolf soldier!

Arachnotrons say "Woolie Woolie Woolie" when they wake up.
Pain Elementals purr when you shoot them so that you'll stop because it's so cute.
Barons yell "Moo" when they wake up, giving us a clue of their origins.
THE REVENANT IS OBVIOUSLY WEARING PANTS!!!

Cyb said:

My name is what. My name is what. My name is tikka tikka wolf soldier!

tikka tikka Slim Schutzstaffel

one thing that always weirded me out was that there was a sound effect in the wolf3d data files that said "mein puten" which is apparently "my pussy" in English.

i've never found out for sure whether it's actually played anywhere within the game. the line is even spoken in a creepy way.

Jonathan said:

Oh and I do know he is saying "Mein Leben" now, which doesn't really make much more sense, but at least its German.

The Wolfenstein SS say um niben!(closest text translation) when they die. Sounds like Prof. Frink from the simpsons.

catdeath said:

The Wolfenstein SS say um niben!(closest text translation) when they die. Sounds like Prof. Frink from the simpsons.

No really, they are saying "Mein Leben", which translates to "My Life!" in English.

It's the title of Hitler's book. I didn't know about the "my pussy" tidbit though (not too familiar with Wolf3D), amusing...

Well, what you thought is true... what I said, is not!

I'll try to save my face and honour after failing it: Bobby Prince, a musician, did the sounds for Wolfenstein, right? Well, "Mein Leben" is the title of Richard Wagner's autobiography. How's that for a possible source?

The Mancubus says 'ugh dee my oh' when he fires

Uh, heh. I still think he's saying OMNIRAWR or something like that myself.

The Hell Knight says 'ogwa' when he dies

It sure does sound that way, heheh. Or it could 'ahwa!' that he's saying as he dies.

The Revenant wears pants (classic!)

Actually, it's crusted blood, but for the longest time I though the Revenant was wearing longjohns or something heh. :)

The Arch Vile says 'awww bye bye' when he dies

It sounds to me like he's saying 'oh ho ho' :P

About the whole Gretel saying "Mein Puten" thing, it says in the official Wolf3d Hint Manual she says "Mein Busse" (My repentance!)

Then again, of course, ID might have just felt too modest to put what she actually said into the manual.

And if you're talking about what monsters say, one's always got to remember that the Pain Elemental in the Playstation/Nintendo 64 versions is always the chattiest. With phrases like "geehahahrreem" and "aaahcum", you've just got to love the guy!

And I think the Arch-Vile says "Gory-ortle!" when he dies.

Cyb said:

list]

• The Mancubus says 'ugh dee my oh' when he fires
  • The Hell Knight says 'ogwa' when he dies
  • The Revenant wears pants (classic!)
  • The Arch Vile says 'awww bye bye' when he dies[/list]

• The Mancubus obviously says 'Hump yo mah!' when he shoots.
    • The Hell Knight says ogwa, I agree with you there.
    • I also know those are definetely pants on the revenant. I definetely wouldn't my bone hanging out for any doom marine.
    • Debatable

The Mancubus does some kind of weird burp sound and says "Your mom." Here(alternate location) is my impression. I dare someone to do a closer imitation.

Hell Knight says ogwa.

The Revenent wear hot pants. They barely go down to its knees and how else could they be so tight on just a skeleton?

Uh, my brother says when the Hell Knight dies he says "olive oil", I sort of see what he means.

I think when the imps roam around, they say "apocalypse"

The revenant pants thing will never be resolved. I think it looks like they're wearing no pants (their bones really protrude out if they are, and they must be so skin-tight that it defeats the purpose of pants) but someone told me once that they actually e-mailed id software about this and were told that the revenants do wear pants. I'm not sure how true that is.

Oh, and Quasar says that the Cyberdemons shout "MMMmooooooooo!!"

Hmm. Do you think the Spider Masterminds say "Go kick yourself?" when they spot you?

Revenants do indeed seem to wear ripped pants.

I always wondered what the SS soldier speaks when he sees you and when he dies. Well, it seems that he speaks something like "mein Leben" when you kill him, now we´ve got to discover what he speaks when he sees the marine. Any German guy around here to help?

Cacodreams said:

I always wondered what the SS soldier speaks when he sees you and when he dies. Well, it seems that he speaks something like "mein Leben" when you kill him, now we´ve got to discover what he speaks when he sees the marine. Any German guy around here to help?

Well I'm not German, but he says "Schutzstaffel", which is what SS stood for. Translated it means "Protection Squad" or something.