Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sonikkumania

Do you have any mapping gimmick trademark?

A lot of square/rectangular rooms

All damaging floors are placed at a lower floor height than the adjacent floor

All/most weapons are included (because I always test my maps from a pistol start)

Regular doors are 128 map units long, fast doors are 64 map units long

Regular and fast doors use separate textures

Weaker enemies at the start of a level, stronger monsters later on

A spectacular finale room that includes a lot of strong enemies

Quite a few traps to keep players on their toes

5 hours ago, StalkerBlade said:

I have like a weird fixation for putting industrial pipes in my maps.

I don't know why...

Now that I think - I like pipes too.

My gimmick is to design beautiful looking areas.

And thats it.

Gameplay? What even is that?

It's not a gimmick... I've been adding hidden smiley faces since last year, wherever outside of playable space's boundaries, so only those inspect closely in the automap and noclip can see them up close. If not a :) then some other weird sector drawing. It's for my own entertainment and I don't expect anyone else to find that stuff.

Dunno how special this is, but there has to be some infusion of comedy, whereas silly things like a doomcute sandcastle or a zombieman leading an army of revenants, which again is for me to cut out on the seriousness. If it comes naturally, the better.

I don't think I have cultivated a gimmick of mine yet. 

I tend to make every one of my doors a turbo door, stay open, and only closes if it's a walkover trigger before an ambush. Often I won't place a door at all if it's not necessary. I don't like door camping or automatically closing doors.

I do some doomcute/sector art stuff, mostly in my first map but I always find ways to employ those details creatively here and there.

I also like to make fine details out of sectors, like sinking the holes in a drain texture or making the buttons on a computer console raised.  Obviously vanilla mappers wouldn't, but I don't see too many people bother with that kind of thing.

Lastly, lots of barrels. Usually at least a couple fights will make prominent use of them, but also I place them to soften up enemies that are slow to kill or to pose a minor hazard to the player if ignored.

What we need to do is start a community megawad project, and every map must have every mapping gimmick listed in this thread.

Every. Single. One.

The results will either be epic, or... ummm... not epic?

10 minutes ago, Kyka said:

What we need to do is start a community megawad project, and every map must have every mapping gimmick listed in this thread.

Every. Single. One.

The results will either be epic, or... ummm... not epic?

11 hours ago, Captain POLAND said:

My map gimmick is pretty special. It's not releasing them. 

Done!

@ZethXM Well played good sir. :D

edit: I should add this now-fully-completed megawad to my wiki page. Another Doom project successfully completed!

Edited by Kyka

16 hours ago, Kyka said:

My gimmick is to design beautiful looking areas.

And thats it.

Gameplay? What even is that?

“Get this man a Cacoward, STAT!!”

jk no bully plz

10 hours ago, Kyka said:

I should add this now-fully-completed megawad to my wiki page. Another Doom project successfully completed!

Sorry Kyka, but I’m taking command of this megawad and I’m sorry to say but your nonexistent maps just aren’t up to snuff, so I’m removing them and replacing them with my own. Maybe you could use them to start another project though!

Spoiler

Too soon? Are we allowed to laugh about this yet?

I put a sector apple in my first map for 12 Days of Doommas, and have since used that very same apple in almost all of my other maps. As sector art, as textures, and even as a 3D model I made myself.

PeccatumMihzamizApple.png

19 hours ago, Doomkid said:

“Get this man a Cacoward, STAT!!”

Hide contents

jk no bully plz

C'mon Doomkid. It only makes sense that I should be awarded a non existent cacoward for a non existent wad. :D It's simple cause and effect see.

New cacoward category anyone?

Of course the cacoward for best non existent wad would face some stiff competition, from the likes of Mordeth, the remaining levels of Scythe X, and probably Half Life 3 somehow. Hey don't ask me I don't make the rules.

16 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Sorry Kyka, but I’m taking command of this megawad and I’m sorry to say but your nonexistent maps just aren’t up to snuff, so I’m removing them and replacing them with my own. Maybe you could use them to start another project though!

Hide contents

Too soon? Are we allowed to laugh about this yet?

Go hard my friend. All good. You made me laugh. :D

While we are on that subject, we are hopeful to have out a full 32 map alpha for TNT:Foreverilution some time soonish. Which oddly enough contains virtually all of the aforementioned maps. [edit] though they have had years of work on them by me and others.

Edited by Kyka

Also, weapon progression that starts with SG/CG, then SSG, then RL and finally PG or BFG. I am trying to make maps with a restricted weapon selection though. RL best weapon!

5 hours ago, Kyka said:

While we are on that subject, we are hopeful to have out a full 32 map alpha for TNT:Foreverilution some time soonish. Which oddly enough contains virtually all of the aforementioned maps.

That’s great to hear - I’m really excited for Forever. An odd grab bag of various maps of varying quality always sounded more likely to capture the spirit of TNT than it’s two highly-polished sequels (not a dig on them of course, as they are both great mapsets as well).