Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ertlm309

How to search for mods

Going into doom, I wanted to look around and see what mods people have created. However, many of my searches have lead to dead ends, and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. 

How should I search for mods? Should I use certain websites? I've just been using google so far, but i know other sites exist. Is there some fernangling I need to do with the search engine to get it to work how I want? Please let me know if you have answers to any of these questions.

ZDoom Forum is more devoted to actual mods than Doom World is. ModDB is also an excellent hub for Doom modding. Doom World is the best for Maps for sure though.

3 minutes ago, kalensar said:

ZDoom Forum is more devoted to actual mods than Doom World is. ModDB is also an excellent hub for Doom modding. Doom World is the best for Maps for sure though.

Is that so? I'll try to keep that in mind. Thank you very much!

1 minute ago, Silhouette 03 said:

It depends on whether you mean wads( Player made maps) or Mods( gameplay, cosmetic, etc.). What are you looking for?

Oh, I'm not picky with either! I wasn't sure what the difference was with wads and mods, honestly. If you can tell me about either of them, that would be fine by me! :3

Wads are player made levels( or maps, since they look like maps in a level editor) while mods are modifers to the vanilla(base) gameplay. You can find wads here on Doomworld, or the idgames archive. Mods are mostly prevalent on the ZDoom forums. Everything it just a search away :)

23 minutes ago, Silhouette 03 said:

Wads are player made levels( or maps, since they look like maps in a level editor) while mods are modifers to the vanilla(base) gameplay. You can find wads here on Doomworld, or the idgames archive. Mods are mostly prevalent on the ZDoom forums. Everything it just a search away :)

Thank you! :3

Google isn't going to work very well for this because there are may thousands of mods for doom for widely different types of players. You sort of need to know what type of mod you're looking for. It's not quite as simple as wads=maps and mods=mods but it's pretty close. Things are also source port dependent as not all sourceports can run all mods.

The file type for doom mods is .wad which dates back to it's release in 93. They are often map packs with occasional other things like new or edited monsters and weapons so generally more "traditional" gameplay. That's predominantly what you will find here on doomworld. If you use the "sort by" feature on the WADs & Mods subforum and choose most viewed or most replied you can find some of the more popular wads. This subforum is primarily for posting or organizing those projects so is an ideal way to find them. You're question would be better suited to the WAD Discussion subforum where you can find a lot of topics where people ask for good wads for new players or similar and are given tons of good map sets to check out. Many wads over the years have been archived on the idgames database. You can go there and hit "random file" if you feel like going with a roll of the dice. 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

The Zdoom forums are where you'll find crazy gameplay altering stuff. Zdoom is basically a whole separate game engine at this point. Thing's like brutal doom fall into this category. I can't speak much to this side of modding as I prefer the more oldschool side but things there generally seem to be more focused on adding over the top weapons or monsters but not on making maps to actually use them.